• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does BCM offer a Bolt Carrier Only?

It does not seem that BCM offers only the carrier. Not sure your requirements for the carrier, you may ask the bolt/barrel manufacturer what they suggest.

I wanted the same and just put my headspaced bolt from my bbl manufacturer in the bcm carrier and stored the factory bcm away for a spare. Always nice to have an extra one or two especially in times like we went through a year ago.

Alan

It does not seem that BCM offers only the carrier. Not sure your requirements for the carrier, you may ask the bolt/barrel manufacturer what they suggest.
Barrel Manufacture recommended both the BCM and the Failzero. I like BCM anyway but sucks they don't offer a carrier only.

I wanted the same and just put my headspaced bolt from my bbl manufacturer in the bcm carrier and stored the factory bcm away for a spare. Always nice to have an extra one or two especially in times like we went through a year ago.

Alan

Yeah I thought about that myself but not in the need of a spare unfortunately.

You could buy the bcm and save the blot for a rainy day. Check the headspace on the bcm bolt and hold onto it.

With all the deals on BCGs lately, you'll spend more getting the carrier, firing pin, cam pin, gas key, and retainer then you would by just buying the bolt carrier group.

I'm not concerned with manufacturer of carrier honestly as long as it hits the specs and has a well staked carrier key. It's a pretty low stress part imo.

Bolts on the other hand I only get from a few places that I trust they actually are made correctly and actually tested correctly.

Interesting - it wasn't long ago that BCM was selling the carriers separately, without the bolt, I think for $69 or so. I have two. They have no BCM markings when you buy them that way, probably since they don't want people putting crap off-brand bolts in them and selling them for $300 at gunshows as a "real" BCM BCG.

BCM makes good stuff, but there are a lot of places making good parts these days. You might also check out PSA and AIM at the bargain end of things, or find an LMT at the high end.

Interesting - it wasn't long ago that BCM was selling the carriers separately, without the bolt, I think for $69 or so. I have two. They have no BCM markings when you buy them that way, probably since they don't want people putting crap off-brand bolts in them and selling them for $300 at gunshows as a "real" BCM BCG.

BCM makes good stuff, but there are a lot of places making good parts these days. You might also check out PSA and AIM at the bargain end of things, or find an LMT at the high end.

For $69 do they come with with the gas key?

Who else would you recommend for a good in Spec Carrirer then? I also have a Aero Upper but the barrel manufacture is also suggesting I buy a Mega upper. Doesn't seem to be too keen on the Aero upper due to needing to blend the feed ramps and square the barrel but with a Mega he is saying its not neccesary.

For $69 do they come with with the gas key?

Who else would you recommend for a good in Spec Carrirer then? I also have a Aero Upper but the barrel manufacture is also suggesting I buy a Mega upper. Doesn't seem to be too keen on the Aero upper due to needing to blend the feed ramps and square the barrel but with a Mega he is saying its not neccesary.

The BCM carriers-only that I got did have an installed and staked gas key. I have a vague memory that they also offered the naked carrier without the key. This is all academic since they aren't on their website right now and I'm not looking to sell mine. :)

If I were you I'd be very tempted to try out AIM's own BCG, $80 on clearance "special," good specs:

AIM AR/M16 .223/5.56 9310 MPI BDG Bolt Carrier Group

Get it and set the bolt aside as a spare. IMHO.

As for Mega vs. Aero Precision, I have several lowers from both, one AP monolithic ("COP") upper, and one Rainier Arms upper which I suspect was made by Mega but I'm not sure. All my Mega lowers have been good, though some older ones had minor dimensional issues (a tight magwell on a forged one, a tight upper-lower fit on an older billet one - but the newer GTR-3S billet ones seem absolutely perfect). My Aero Precision lowers were fine but had minor corner-cutting (barely flared magwell, less than GI standard) and delicate finishes. However, my COP upper seems well made without any issues. I would tend to trust the guy putting your rifle together though, if he has a strong opinion. You might also consider the VLTOR MUR, some of the billet options, and especially the Rainier Arms ultramatch which supposedly has blueprinted tight dimensions:

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1611

The BCM carriers-only that I got did have an installed and staked gas key. I have a vague memory that they also offered the naked carrier without the key. This is all academic since they aren't on their website right now and I'm not looking to sell mine. :)

If I were you I'd be very tempted to try out AIM's own BCG, $80 on clearance "special," good specs:

AIM AR/M16 .223/5.56 9310 MPI BDG Bolt Carrier Group

Get it and set the bolt aside as a spare. IMHO.

I have one and it's ok, but the staking on the gas key seems cosmetic only... it doesn't reach the screws.

Just an update, Got my Kies and the thing is damn nice. The fit and finish is amazing, will definitely buy again