• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does cosmetic scratch on housing ruin value of spotting scopes?

snarles22

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2023
Colorado
My buddy is wanting to sell his NF 20-70x spotting scope, but he did drop it once on concrete leaving a scratch/ding on the housing. The glass is still clear and functional. Does this severely lower its value? You can see it there right on the edge.

Attachments

• 701709257.jpg
    701709257.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 96
My buddy is wanting to sell his NF 20-70x spotting scope, but he did drop it once on concrete leaving a scratch/ding on the housing. The glass is still clear and functional. Does this severely lower its value? You can see it there right on the edge
My buddy is wanting to sell his NF 20-70x spotting scope, but he did drop it once on concrete leaving a scratch/ding on the housing. The glass is still clear and functional. Does this severely lower its value? You can see it there right on the edge.
supply and demand, how bad does the buyer want it. I would want a significant discount

It lowers it but how much is the question. It’s a NF so that certainly helps.

In this particular case, I wouldn't say it "severely" lowers the value. It's a ding, yes. But it's not a bad one. It all depends on how much he wants to sell it for. Top dollar (and he's firm) ? I'd pass. If it's a screamin' deal, I'd probably jump on it.

Just remember, if you ever go to sell it, you'll be expected to "discount" it because of the ding. It wasn't of your doing originally, so you shouldn't be expected to absorb the "discount".

What's "severely"? Definitely lowered the value off LNIB. How much depends on the seller and buyer.

I have the meopta S2 82HD which is the oem model of the NF spotters. Excellent glass, just as good as swaro ats line. I have used mine to see 6mm holes in paper at 880y in good conditions. They're an excellent value of you can get em under 2k. A ding or two? That's just character. I use my shit and it gets plenty if "handling marks" through its life.

Reactions: RayDBonz