• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does higher magnification = less quality sight pic

kz45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
Denham Springs La
I had the opportunity to look through a Premier 22 power, I was excited about being able to look at some premier glass,what I saw was milky looking glass, I could not believe it, my NF 10 power has WAY better glass, whats going on? Mine at 10 his at 22

Re: Does higher magnification = less quality sight pic

You probably were seeing mirage. The higher magnification would show more mirage than your 10 power. I have an 8-32 for competition and I back it down to 20 or so when the mirage picks up.

I didn't want to say anything to him and have it misunderstood, next time I'll see if we can put them side by side and on the same power, does mirage look milky, it looked like a film of something was on the lens

Try comparing like to like.

When you compare glass it needs to be done at the same power setting. ALL rifle scopes loose some clarity at high power. Take that Premier at 20x and compare it to a Tasco at 20x and you will see the difference.

Higher power brings in more mirage, a shittier resolution / image quality, and smaller FOV. But hey, higher mag means you can see better, right?

Sounds silly but were the lenses clean? It can be hard to see unless in the right angle of light and, bodgy cleaning agents leave a film/ reside on glass.. especially if they are an el-cheapo impure ethanol/ methanol mix

I'm thinking that the lenses maybe had some muck on them. Yes, when you dial up the magnification you will see mirage and less resolution than you do at lower settings, but milky? Nah, I think that something was up.

I have a Nightforce 22X and it makes me smile everytime I look through it, even at 22X. Quality glass as in that of the Premier doesn't look milky. I didn't see that anyway.

I haven't seen much objective data on difference in glass. Most of the higher end stuff is noticeably better than the lower end scopes. When comparing the higher end scopes, much of it can get subjective. I would try them at the same magnification to elimimate the mirage issue. Mirage looks wavy at higher magnification, similar to what you might see coming off of a hot road in the summer. Make sure you have adequate lighting conditions also. Look through them in near dark and bright days.

this wasn't mirage, it was like looking through a tasco, it had to be something on the lenses, I can see the mirage good at 10 with my scope