• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does Lot# really matter when reloading?

Awag1000

Interstellar Weapon Systems
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2020
Eastern South Carolina
A lot of people tell me that you want to have the same lot number for powder, bullets, primers, casings, etc when reloading. I've bought powder and bullets for my 223 and 308 all my jugs of powder (for example IMR 8208xbr) have a different lot number and I have seen no change in accuracy/velocity. does Lot number consistency really matter? what are your thoughts? (should this go in "Stupid Questions"?)

Lot number only matters if there is an issue across everything you are doing. It’s just a way for the manufacturers to track issues.
That’s just one mans opinion though.

Reactions: Bradv86
Answer is “sometimes.” And also it’s dependent on a few things such as shooting discipline and brass prep.

Sometimes a lot of powder will be faster or slower over your chrono. Sometimes bullet weight or dimensions are different. Sometimes they are not.

If the difference is pretty small and you’re shooting steel/prs, doesn’t matter much.

If you’re turning necks and/or volume sorting brass, lot doesn’t matter to much.

Lots of variables.

The voodoo in it is that powder burn rate changes depending on environment.

Example: I have bought jugs of Varget that were noticably faster than what was on hand. I loaded out of them to test them as soon as they were delivered.

By the time I got around to using that jug a year later, it had acclimated to conditions here in the pacific northwest and burned the same as previous jugs.

The voodoo in it is that powder burn rate changes depending on environment.

Example: I have bought jugs of Varget that were noticably faster than what was on hand. I loaded out of them to test them as soon as they were delivered.

By the time I got around to using that jug a year later, it had acclimated to conditions here in the pacific northwest and burned the same as previous jugs.
that's Interesting I haven't seen that happen in my hand loads yet. I'm going to have to try that next time I order powder.

that's Interesting I haven't seen that happen in my hand loads yet. I'm going to have to try that next time I order powder.
I have been in a good position to notice because I lived in Yuma,AZ for 8 years where powders tended to dry out and burn faster than when purchased...and now, 2hrs north of Seattle, they tend to slow down a bit.

I feel that "hyper consistency" idea is going a bit overboard. It may work for the ones shooting Bench Rifles. Other than that I don't see any benefit

Does 100 FPS sound overboard? Cuz I have 4 jugs of Varget from different lots where the fastest lot is 100 FPS faster than the slowest lot.

Do you think 100 FPS does not matter?

A lot of people tell me that you want to have the same lot number for powder, bullets, primers, casings, etc when reloading. I've bought powder and bullets for my 223 and 308 all my jugs of powder (for example IMR 8208xbr) have a different lot number and I have seen no change in accuracy/velocity. does Lot number consistency really matter? what are your thoughts? (should this go in "Stupid Questions"?)
From the replies I get it seems that all my questions should start in "Stupid Questions".

I have shot a lot of 8208XBR to 300yds in 223 in different lots and if there was a difference the target didn't seem to know. Similar experience with 4064 in 308.

Sometimes a lot of powder will be faster or slower over your chrono. Sometimes bullet weight or dimensions are different. Sometimes they are not.

Lots of variables.

I don't like reworking loads with new lots of powder, so I try to buy bigger quantities. There was one instance with a 7mm RM that a new lot of Reloder powder was out of spec, and burned much faster than previous lots and my "normal" load resulted in excess pressure.

NOTE; This particular lot ended up being recalled and was replaced by the manufacturer

A good rule of thumb/safe practice is to rework your load ANY time a component is changed. I believe the most critical part of the equation is powder, but occasionally primer and projectile issues could pop up even with today's manufacturing processes. Don't assume that your load with the last lot, particularly if on the upper end of safe level, is going to be OK.

Does 100 FPS sound overboard? Cuz I have 4 jugs of Varget from different lots where the fastest lot is 100 FPS faster than the slowest lot.

Do you think 100 FPS does not matter?
Pour some amount from them into separate bowls or pans and let them all sit in the same room for a day or two. Then test them again. See what you get.

Reactions: yakstone
My handloading strategy is about just getting it done. I keep things simple and straightforward. I think we tend to overthink a lot of what we do concerning handloading. Load safe, load consistent, weight your decisions toward investing more time into shooting, and less into handloading.

Nature has tricks up its sleeve every time we go out and shoot. Much of what we worry about is overturned by local conditions most days we shoot.

K.I.S.S.

Greg

Depends, if you're loading a middle of the road load for plinking it shouldn't be a problem. However, if you're running a hot load right on the edge and the new batch of powder is a little hotter you could for instance blow a primer and flame cut your bolt head. If your running a stupid hot load, well....

My experience is if u r shooting close distance 300-400 yards it isn't going to matter alot in velocity difference. Get out past 600 and things change es and sd start to matter. The farther u go the more it matters

My experience is if u r shooting close distance 300-400 yards it isn't going to matter alot in velocity difference. Get out past 600 and things change es and sd start to matter. The farther u go the more it matters
this good to know, I plan on attempting to shoot a Mile with my Savage 110 in the future.

I think the more critical variables here are bullets and powder. I think these reasons are why a true load development is critical. With this newer bullet jump testing and seeing you can find more forgiving jump nodes with a longer jump, then I think this helps with the lot to lot base to ogive differences and makes them kind of null if you find those sweet spots. Same with powder charges. I’ve also seen some velocity nodes be more forgiving than others. As long as it’s a node that is relevant to your cartridge why not load to the nodes that gives you wider range of error, and yet now taking the lot to lot differences out of the equation. Just my 2 cents.

I think the more critical variables here are bullets and powder. I think these reasons are why a true load development is critical. With this newer bullet jump testing and seeing you can find more forgiving jump nodes with a longer jump, then I think this helps with the lot to lot base to ogive differences and makes them kind of null if you find those sweet spots. Same with powder charges. I’ve also seen some velocity nodes be more forgiving than others. As long as it’s a node that is relevant to your cartridge why not load to the nodes that gives you wider range of error, and yet now taking the lot to lot differences out of the equation. Just my 2 cents.

I’ll probably adjust my load development a little for PRS to something like:

Find stable node via chrono

Then do jump testing to see where the “long spot” is. Basically where the POI doesn’t change over a long enough jump distance to cover the entire life of throat erosion. Not really looking at group size, just the center POI.

Then use ECtuner to tighten group.

If I was doing something like F class, I’d do it a bit different. But for PRS, I’m thinking this will produce the most hassle free loading for the life of the barrel.

Reactions: trob_205
I am not a fan of having to go through any lot change, powder, bullet, or brass in that rifle barrel. It is not some insurmountable problem by any means, but round trip to the range I use is 36-37 miles, gets to be a pain in the ass.
I understand all of our financial situations are different and it may be tougher for some to "stock up" so to speak, but if you ever get where you can, do it, makes life easier.
I just finished off a lot of 6mm 110gr Sierra's, 6K worth, knew it would happen, so I bought 750 more from a friend, I measured throat erosion, decided to chase the lands in a Dasher, ended up adding .1gr of powder, switched primers too and I think this load is better than the first time, so sometimes it may work in your favor, lol. But in honesty, I'd just as soon not have to mess with it.

Powder... if I have a load that works acceptably with lot #wxy, and I run out of that and have to crack a jug of lot #xyz, I find that *usually* if I tweak the powder charge to match the velocity I was getting before, the accuracy will hold. Some guns/calibers/load combos are more finicky that way than others.

Primers... had one incident that pretty well seared itself in my mind. Had been using CCI 450s with good results. Ran out, grabbed a couple hundred more from the LGS to hold me over for the state LR championship that weekend. Shot my way to the bottom by the end of day #1, with absolutely horrendous vertical. Probably should have packed it in after the first two strings, but stuck it out in the name of 'sportsmanship' (plus bad scores still beat no scores in the agg). Ran home, loaded some rounds with the 'new' batch, along with some each of several other brands/models. The 'new' batch of 450s shot decent groups up close (300 yds), but the SD/ES were hideous (18/41) and pretty much clarified why I was barely holding the 8 ring @ 1000 it's tough making good wind calls when you have two feet + of vertical. Swapped to primers that were running SD/ES more in the 4/10 range, and went back to claw my way back up to 2nd place in the two day agg.

Bullets... I've had some noticeable changes between lots, even with Bergers, in bearing surface, BTO, OAL, etc. and the different lots very much had different seating depths (up close) that they 'liked'. Which is a large part of why I plan to take a closer look at jumping longer distances as has been the topic of much discussion lately - even if the throat doesn't wear as much as some of the hotter 6's can, that stuff gets tedious to have to stay on top of.