• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does magnification equal accuracy?

TommyD11730

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Does magnification equal accuracy?
Hey guys I'm new to shooting with scopes. Shot irons most of my life buy as I hit my mid 50s I discovered scopes.
So long and short of it I have 2 bolt action rifles. Both with Athalon Midas Tacs scopes. Most of my shooting was at a 1/2" red circle @ 100 yards. Scopes worked just fine and I was happy.
Then I started shooting 200Y. I chose a splatter style target (3") so I could see my small caliber impacts. This is where my trouble started.
The center of the target is red, but at distance it's very dark. Dark enough my black non illuminated reticle gets lost on it. So, I added a 1" green dot to the target and that helps alot.
So I'm wondering what I should do if I choose to replace these scopes. Do I stay on the same magnification but look for better glass? Do I look for a greater then 25x scope? Or would something like an illuminated reticle solve my problem?
I know scopes can be very selective to the user's eyes. Definitely welcome any comments and or suggestions.
Thanks!

I have an astigmatism in my right (dominant) eye, so for me, quality glass in high-magnification scopes does work best for my load development on rifles, because I can really zoom into the same spot on the bullseyes each time, to really get an idea of how well a load is grouping. If you're using a low magnification scope with a fat reticle, you can't really zoom in like that, and the crosshairs are covering up the bull.

So, in essence, it's whatever works best for you for your intended use/purpose with the rifle. Some folks shake really bad, and can't get steady enough when they zoom in too far on a target. The higher you zoom, any movement is amplified the higher in the magnification range you go. I shoot off heavy sandbags when doing load development, so getting steady isn't an issue.

So, to each his own... For me, yes, it equals greater consistency (true accuracy), then a lower-powered optic. But everyone's skills and eyes are different.

If you're wanting something with more magnification than your Midac Tac's, but around the same price range, and with Japanese ED glass... Give a look to the Arken EP5. It's on sale right now, too. I have one, and it's a phenomenal scope for the money.

Reactions: TommyD11730
I followed the link, but that scope has the same max (25) as the Midas, so it's a wash.
I agree 100% RE a thick reticle and sold 1 scope for that very reason.
I shoot off a decent rest with a rear bag. So aside from controlling my heartbeat that end is covered.

If you're wanting something with more magnification than your Midac Tac's, but around the same price range, and with Japanese ED glass... Give a look to the Arken EP5. It's on sale right now, too. I have one, and it's a phenomenal scope for the money.

I have both of those scopes. Arken gets you illuminated reticle but that's about the only thing you gain over the Midas TAC. I actually prefer the Midas TAC over the EP5.

Reactions: TommyD11730
To the extent that it allows you to make the most accurate shot you and your rifle system are capable of in the conditions, yes.

That doesn't mean higher magnification is better. The appropriate magnification is better. Shoot on a day with heavy mirage to understand this.

Reactions: FuhQ
I’ll tell you, I shot my 22lr accurately with globe sights than with my 10-50x Kahles. The difference is, I had no idea how I was grouping with the irons until I used the spotting scope. The globe sights I was centering the globe on the 3” target and allowed as much precision as my scope. Some people don’t like high magnification due to the small eyebox but I’ll be real honest that I personally couldn’t hit sub moa at 200 without it

magnification has nothign to do with accuracy.
One of the things that I found, especially when first starting to shoot with decent optics, is that the shooter frequently begins to focus on the target, not on the aiming point.
Just like shooting with irons, you must focus on the sight, not the target.