• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Does Paint Hurt the Value of a Rifle?

Jeremy45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Odessa, TX
I am just curious what everyone thinks painting a rifle does to it's value?

Does a good paint job increase the value and a shoddy one decrease it or does painting automatically reduce the value, what if you remove the paint?

I'm just wondering how people view this?

Thanks,
Jeremy45

Re: Does Paint Hurt the Value of a Rifle?

unless you strip it off... then there's really no way anyone would know it had been painted...

that's the beauty of krylon, it's cheap and not permanent

If its a rattle can job done badly...I'd say it its not going to HELP the value because its either going to have to be stripped off and repainted or painted over which takes time/money to do. Also, depending on how bad it is, it may call into question how the rifle has been treated otherwise or what sort of douchebag owned it which will certainly hurt the value.
wink.gif

On the other hand, a quality refinish job (cerakote, etc.) or a custom paint job (camo or otherwise) or a dip job won't HURT the value any, but it may or may not necessarily INCREASE the value.

Yes, as in Krylon.

I always wonder how the rifle was treated when it was just hit with a rattle can and was curious if I am the only one?

I would think Cerakote or something done professionally wouldn't hurt the value but may decrease the number of people that are interested in that specific pattern. But would would appear that the owner took some time to treat the rifle right.

Jeremy45

Krylon may hurt your resale value, but all my piss canned stix are priceless imho.....Ill never sell em so who cares...

Thanks for all the responses guys. I would say that for someone with gun a.d.d. like myself, meaning I'm happy with a gun one day and trading it for something different the next day; painting a rifle with spray paint is not a smart choice. Not that painting a rifle is bad but if your toys are always open to trade why hurt yourself by painting it just for the heck of it.

Jeremy45

not as long as you get it off if the person that wants to buy it wants it off i imagine

I also think even Cerakoting would limit the number of buyers to those who want the particular color an/or pattern that is on the rifle.IMO spray painting would definitely hurt the resale value. I have passed on many rifles that were cerakoted because of the color / used.

Im always surprised when I see a nice scope with Krylon on it, I know I wouldn't wanna buy it unless I got it cheap or it was removed.

unless it looked like it was used overseas, paint rubbed, off, finish so worn in spots its shiny, and huge gashes in the stock, I don't think I would care much.

Ill probably just end up repainting it.

To each their own though.

Some people might say its good, some say it's bad. If in doubt strip it before you post it.

a good cerakote or duracoat job will help with corrosion issues, so it could add value.

a nicely done krylon type job adds some corrosion protection, but still is krlyon.

i'd imagine "blue book" value would be hurt in either case.

but beauty is in the eye of the beholder...if someone is looking for example a 700 with wood, they probably will not take a second look at something that is painted with cerakot, duracoat, or anything else.

but someone looking for that tacticoolish look may regard a well done painted rifle as having added value as they don't have to get it done.

kinda like a car with replacement chrome wheels and weedwhacker muffler...the kiddies love it, a commuter may not.

Apparently "Kleen Strip Premium Paint Stripper" is the hot ticket for stripping.

snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&number=1934257

Take a look but use at your own judgement.

It's all about who you are selling it to. Gunshops are usually more interested in keeping things original whereas your shooting buddies might actually apreciate a well done paint job. Most of the time however, krylon makes a rifle less desireable.

In my eyes, a paint job <span style="font-weight: bold">always</span> reduces the value of a firearm. What's cool in the eyes of the painter is often slop in the eyes of a prospective buyer. I am considering having one of my stocks dipped and I hesitate because of this.

This is made much much worse of someone spray paints the metal. Kryloning gun metal is inconceivable IMO. Only a hack (or someone who was using the weapon for duty with no expectation of reselling it) would spray paint the metal part of a rifle or, god forbid, a scope. OMFG. I really truly can't believe people do this.

You asked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWRichmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my eyes, a paint job <span style="font-weight: bold">always</span> reduces the value of a firearm. What's cool in the eyes of the painter is often slop in the eyes of a prospective buyer. I am considering having one of my stocks dipped and I hesitate because of this.

This is made much much worse of someone spray paints the metal. Kryloning gun metal is inconceivable IMO. Only a hack (or someone who was using the weapon for duty with no expectation of reselling it) would spray paint the metal part of a rifle or, god forbid, a scope. OMFG. I really truly can't believe people do this.

You asked. </div></div>

A bit harsh but IMO spot on.

Personally I would not buy something painted. I'm not into pretty and don't care how it really looks as long as my equipment performs but I never got into the camo/leafy/sand/spiders/snakes/skulls/flames/butterflies/rainbow look. We see a lot of painted guns/scope combinations at the match and can appreciate the work some took to make them look that way but I'm not using this for my job to not be seen while making a shot.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and when you spend that much on gun/equipment we can get pretty darn picky. If you never plan on selling an item then modify to your hearts content since we need to please ourselves first and to Hell with the rest that don't like it.

Topstrap

Although I believe krylon does hurt value, it doesn't stop me from painting most of my rifles. Also important to note, krylon can be removed very easily.

That being said I love buying painted scopes and such at discounted prices
smile.gif

I love the camo Krylon jobs. My 1st long range rifle was a R700 short tac with a SS10x42HD and a B&C stock. My niece is a real artist type person. She did a hell of a camo job on it. Now it has a Manners T5A stock coyote tan, USO 3.2-17x44 I put a 26" barrel on it. All metal is black. I can't get that into it. So as soon as my broughton barrel is installed I will be getting in touch with my niece again.

Unless the paint is going to affect the accuracy I am not going to get overly worried about a rifle that has been painted.

If it's Krylon who cares? I bought a Remmy VSSFII in 22250, that looked like crap painted in several camo colors, the seller knew it looked like crap and said he would trade for a 10yo laptop, and after removing the krylon I had a mint 700 for about $175 invested. Paint em up, and I'll buy em up.
That's why I love krylon, spray it for winter hunting, then green it up for spring summer varmint hunting.

depends on the shooter, is a top model wearing baggy sweat pants and shirt not a top model anymore?? paint only affects aesthetics and nothing else, since it is not permanent, who cares.

It is fucking paint. Who gives a shit? Do you guy's use your rifles to fap to? It does not degrade the function of the gun and I am just going to paint over it. I don't get why people automatically discredit a gun because it is painted. Wipe it off and go shoot it.

How would paint affect accuracy? I'm guessing you wouldn't want to paint over bedding and such but how else could paint hurt accuracy?

Jeremy45

I bought my Sako 85 338 Federal SS/Synthetic with a Krylon painted stock. I think it sold slower because of purists not liking the paint. I like it like it is and never have considered the paint removal. Maybe it saved me some money when I bought it.

It comes off with carb/brake cleaner and a rag. Don't sweat it.

I think a spray paint job almost always is a negative to rifle value. IMO, they seldom look great.

A professional job could increase value if its done in a fairly neutral way. If its a custom, unique job, its just going to decrease the pool of buyers and, as a result, value.

To people that are changing rifles like underwear or more into a collection than guns as tools it makes a difference. Me, unless its a nice looking wood stocked shotgun I could care less. I am going to paint a rifle to my liking anyway.

I wouldn't worry me if the gun was painted or not, I'm buying the rifle for its accuracy and build. Paint is paint, simple. I've just painted mine in Krylon, if I get bored or want a change 1hr later and it's all stripped off

Liam