• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does Razor 5-20 Stand Up To Top LR Optics?

Moadrifter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2012
California
I’m looking for a "no-compromise" scope for a 338 LM I just bought. The primary application is long distance hunting from 600-1,000 yards with a big premium on weight because I carry my guns for days up and down hills in Alaska and Montana. The 338 LM rifle is only 7.7 lbs and the goal is to stay under 10 lbs (+/-) including base and rings, so extra weight needs to be justified by a noticeable improvement in field condition results. The second use for the build is 12-24 inch iron targets from 800 to 1,700. I practice way more than hunt, so repeatable success well over 1,000 yards is also a priority.

I've purchased many scopes, but until now have always shot mil dots and rarely past 400 yards so we virtually never use turrets. My eyes are fairly good with glasses, but not what they used to be so I need all the help I can get from the scope and will spend what I need to spend.

Here are my application priorities:
(1) best available LR optical resolution, contrast and clarity - in sun, shade and low light,
(2) turrets: tracking, repeatability, and user friendliness, useful elevation adjustment range of 60 MOA minimum to get the 338 LM out to 1,500 and preferably more so it’s not bottoming out,
(3) lowest weight possible without significant trade-down in optics quality or mechanical quality,
(4) FFP,
(5) reticle performance, accuracy and ease of use,
(6) eye-box tolerance / forgiveness,
(7) MOA/MOA, or Mil/Mil,
(8) minimum useful magnification of 20X and would prefer higher (I know you often can’t use it, but my eyes are getting older and when I can use it I’ll gladly take it),
(9) holds up to abuse from recoil, field mishandling and the elements.

I’m down to a choice between five scopes and one is the Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50mm. The Razor HD is reported to be close to the higher end scopes I am considering (S&B, March, Premier) with slightly less optical performance, turrets that are slightly less precise and not quite as easy to use, and a reticle that is in the same ballpark but not quite as good as the best. In the class of scopes I am still considering, 31.5 oz is the lightest so it's the weight benchmark, so the Razor (35 oz) has a 3.5 oz penalty from the weight benchmark.

Every report I have read on the Razor HD is positive and they recommend the scope. Tons of elevation adjust (123 MOA) and the price ($2,000) is just over half the average of the other scopes still under consideration - and you get some rings and other stuff in the box. So the real question is what “slightly less performance/quality” means - would like to believe the Razor is in the same class and differences are not meaningful, but seems hard to believe.

Questions:

If you have shot the Razor HD 5-20 and the top LR scopes, is the Razor “virtually the same” in LR optical performance and turrets compared to S&B, March and Premier, or is the difference more like “very noticeable”?

Do you think there will be a meaningful difference in 1,000 to 1,500 yard target acquisition and accuracy performance for some “slightly aging eyes” with the Razor vs the top brand scopes?

Thanks for reading this post and thanks in advance if you can spare the time to respond.

Re: Does Razor 5-20 Stand Up To Top LR Optics?

Changed the post after some great feedback today from this forum (SSSamurai) that helped me cross off the awesome little 22 oz March F 3-24x42 because it just won’t gather the light at high mag long range ☹. Also crossed off the SWFA SS HD 5-20x50mm based on member comments (Edwards, Ring) and the great(!) JROB300 review that just came out this morning that made it clear the Razor HD stands out over the SS.

Thanks Boomholzer. I read ILya's awesome (!!) reviews several times. The all-around performance review you cited included the Razor and for medium range shooting the Razor looks like the right price/performance decision. But I am a bit concerned that at 1,000+ the differences between the Razor and higher end scopes may be more meaningful in terms of field results, so I wanted to get some feedback on this specific LR application.

If it were not for criterea #4 & #8 combined, I would say Nightforce.

I have a Razor but I don't have all those other high-end makes and models to make a knowledgable comparison. I do think it bests the others in that group. I always (and still do) wanted a S&B PMII 5-25 P4F of my own. With .035mil stadia, I like the reticle.

I would concentrate on the tangibles and options. A slight optical difference is NOT going to change the outcome VS. all the other variables at LR.

Thanks Boomholzer! The Razor seems really solid - everyone who has it seems to love it.

If you like the P4F, check out the FML-1 with floating center from March. Really clean and all the data you want without excess clutter.

It makes sense that a "slight" optical difference is not going to change anything, it all comes down to the definition of "slight". You also want to know what happens in a stressful situation and you are shooting about as far as you can ethically harvest an animal. I wanted to ask about this specific app because equipment comparisons can change depending on the shooter's use. For example - ILya's reviews are as good as they get but JROB300 reviewed the SS vs new HD Razor under competition conditions and found that:

"The more I use the other 3 scopes, the less I like the turrets on the SS. ... I used my SS to shoot a couple matches and definitely spent more time making sure I was really on 3.6 mils and not 3.7. There is just enough slop and not quite enough "snap" to make me lose confidence in what I was looking at."

Slop in the turrets that make the shooter lose confidence in match conditions would also do a number on your success in the field under even more stressful conditions where you might only have 10 seconds to dial and make a shot to the next ridge.

That's why I didn't think my post is re-hashing old ground, no one I found specifically asked about comparing the Razor to the highest end scopes in a high caliber LR mobile field application.

Thanks again for your feedback and any additional comments would be greatly appreciated.

This should be a good thread
smile.gif

Moadrifter brings some good q's I think...

I've shot to 2300 with the Razor. For the money, there is not a better FFP ELR scope. The reticle is a little thick, but if you're shooting MOA steel or bigger, you should be fine.

I have looked hard at the March due to the size and weight. It would get more of my attention with a thinner reticle and lower price.
wink.gif

The S-B PMII 5-25 is a serious contender, for a serious chunk of change.

John

<span style="font-weight: bold">ETA </span>I just read your quote of my comments about the SS turrets, and although I do have concerns about them shooting moa plates in a match, if you're shooting game at 500 yds., keep in mine that a .1 mil error is 1.8". There's a whole ton of rifles on this planet that are not even accurate enough to see that difference, so we need to keep this in context. I would be more worried about the SS turrets moving without meaning to in carry or dragging during field use. They do move easier than the Razor.

That's solid! Information that really counts. Wonder if anyone else shoots ELR with Razor with good results?

How do you think the Razor mechanicals hold up in the elements and to abuse?

Understood on the 500 yard application for SS vs 1,000+. Still, giving up 0.3MOA in a rifle that's supposed be under 0.5MOA would be a big disappointment.

And that's something you have to weigh... just wanted to put a little context to the discussion.

I would trust my life to the mechanicals of the Razor. I have not been kind to mine, and they keep on ticking.

John

Man, your weight limitations are killin' me! I seriously considered a Razor but didn't care for the soft clicks (in my opinion). I've heard from others that they stand behind their product.

As another poster mentioned, a NF F1 would be a great scope but it has a limited magnification range (3-15). I used one on my 338 LM for about a year and had zero complaints shooting steel from 1000 and in.

It may not fit your weight requirements either, but a USO would also be a great choice. I run a 5-25 TPAL on my 338 now and doubt I will use any other brand. Big money though.

Of course, S&B and Premier are solid too, but they're also big money. If you're willing to spend it the S&B 3-20 might just be what the doctor ordered for you. Once you've wiped the tears away, you may be 1/2 pound over your weight limit but you won't have any scope-related regrets! My .02, good luck and let us know what you end up with!

In response to:
Poster: jonthomps
Subject: Re: Does Razor 5-20 Stand Up To Top LR Optics?

Man, your weight limitations are killin' me!

Not sure why? 10 lbs (+/-) is the target (+/- means plus at this point because I lost the "under 10 lbs" option when the 22/23 oz scopes didn't hold up to feedback from forum members on optics quality).

7 lbs 10 oz for the base rifle, 8 oz for ti rings & base takes the rifle and mounting HW to 8 lbs 2oz.

Two remaining options for scope weight - 31/35 oz and 38/42 oz. A 31 oz scope tops out at 10 lbs 1 oz and a 38 ounce scope puts the build at 10 lbs 8 ounce.

I shoot many tournaments with my Razor HD with the EBR-3 reticle and love it. If you can withstand a few extra ounces, it's worth it. If not, get two scopes. One for light weight hunting and one for shooting at ELR targets.

Keep in mind, that no matter what scope you buy, they are not bullet proof. I've seen every scope make and model go down (S&B, NF, USO, Vortex, Leupold, Premier, etc). The question you should also take into consideration is the warranty of the scope manufacturer. Ask around to see when a S&B goes down or a NF goes down, what is the turn around time for a repair. Some will say 6 months or less. Next ask the same question to someone that owns a Razor or another Vortex product. It's usually a few days or a week, not months.

I have shot tens of thousands of rounds with my Razor HD from 260's to 338 Norma cartridges and never had one go down yet.

Vortex Razor

The EBR2B reticles were, mistakenly, more popular than the EBR2's. And some are finding it to be too BOLD.

A reticle cannot get fine enough in my opinion, therefore I chose the finer of the two offered; EBR2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot many tournaments with my Razor HD with the EBR-3 reticle and love it. If you can withstand a few extra ounces, it's worth it. If not, get two scopes. One for light weight hunting and one for shooting at ELR targets.

Keep in mind, that no matter what scope you buy, they are not bullet proof. I've seen every scope make and model go down (S&B, NF, USO, Vortex, Leupold, Premier, etc). The question you should also take into consideration is the warranty of the scope manufacturer. Ask around to see when a S&B goes down or a NF goes down, what is the turn around time for a repair. Some will say 6 months or less. Next ask the same question to someone that owns a Razor or another Vortex product. It's usually a few days or a week, not months.

I have shot tens of thousands of rounds with my Razor HD from 260's to 338 Norma cartridges and never had one go down yet.

</div></div>

Wow - a few days vs 6 months. If this is the case it's a big deal. I bet S&B owners would come back that they almost never need to send one back? Razor seems really solid!

S&B wait is not 6 months now. Years ago before the US service center when they had to go back to Germany it took months but no longer. The VA service center is quick to fix any problems for customers. That is <span style="font-weight: bold">IF</span> they have any. That's for you Moadrifter
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B wait is not 6 months now. Years ago before the US service center when they had to go back to Germany it took months but no longer. The VA service center is quick to fix any problems for customers. That is <span style="font-weight: bold">IF</span> they have any. That's for you Moadrifter
wink.gif
</div></div>

What Rob01 said . . .

And when it was 6 mos they were quick to give a loaner if needed.

Rob01,jonthomps, mg308

Thanks for clearing up the S&B wait issue! Really helps because I'm leaning toward the S&B PM II 5-25x56mm because it seems like everyone who has this loves it - as long as you don't do the MTC or locking turrets. I like the March 5-40x56 for many reasons too, but it is a much less proven option in field LR/ELR applications.

We have a pretty good thread going on:
Questions On Splitting Hairs With Top ELR Scopes
if you have a chance to check it out.

Can't go wrong with the S&B 5-25. I got 3 and wouldn't hesitate to get more. Been using them since 2006. My favorite scope I have ever used and I have used quite a few.
P6300191.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't go wrong with the S&B 5-25. I got 3 and wouldn't hesitate to get more. Been using them since 2006. My favorite scope I have ever used and I have used quite a few.
P6300191.jpg

</div></div>

Now THAT is an endorsement
laugh.gif
Pictures say a thousand words - made my morning! Seems like among really seasoned experts the "no brainer consensus" ELR choice is S&B 5-25. Getting harder to convince myself to do anything else this time around.

Do you mind rattling off the essentials of each of those gorgeous rifles? I'm already thinking about my next build after this one and I want to get more picky - can be picky and take my time while I practice with the first one.

Sure no problem. All 4 are built by GAP. Going front to back. The front one was my .243 which I have since sold but I am building a new one. Those specs are:
GAP7000 action
Badger DBM
McMillan M40A1 turn in stock
27" Schneider 7.5 twist M24/M40 contour

Next is .308:
Rem 700 action
Badger DBM
McMillan HTG stock
26" Bartlein 11 twist M24/M40 contour(since cut to 22" and Surefire brake/adapter added)

Next 6.5 Creedmoor:
GAP Templar
Badger DBM
Manners T3 stock(my favorite stock. new .243 will be built with one)
26.5" Bartlein 8 twist MTU profile barrel

Last 300WM:
Rem 700
Badger DBM
Manners T3 Kitty Camo painted by Controlled Chaos Arms
25" 10 twist Bartlein M24/M40 contour

New .243 specs will be:
Surgeon 591
Manners T3 in molded in woodland camo with mini chassis
26" Bartlein 8.5 twist M24/M40 and
26" Bartlein 10 twist M24/M40 .308 barrel for a switch barrel

And you know the scopes. Front one is in Badger rings but they have since been switched out to Seekins like the other two are wearing.

If money was not object then the S&B 5-25x would probably be my choice.

However, I came back from Kentucky PRC this weekend. Shooting in hot, steamy and soaking wet weather from 255-1001 yards in field conditions, I didn't once regret that the Razor HD was on my rifle. It did exactly what I needed it to do.

Yes, it's only five mils per rev, but until I actually feel a high-speed Razor I will stay with what I have. I didn't have any problem cranking the turret rapidly and accurately under time.

The scope stayed soaked for three days. The only time it got to dry out was overnight in the hotel room. It has taken some serious hits on concrete prior to this, with no impact on the seals.

I run the EBR-2 reticle and it was great for fast targeting and precise shots. I declined the EBR-2B upgrade when I sent mine in for the eyepiece upgrade last year.

Razor HD Review: http://8541tactical.com/Razor_HD_review.php

178338_409034002465637_2091569615_o.jpg

Thanks Rob. Just checked out your website - very cool!

Don't want to get off-topic in a scope thread, but what GAP action do you recommend in 338?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't go wrong with the S&B 5-25. I got 3 and wouldn't hesitate to get more. Been using them since 2006. My favorite scope I have ever used and I have used quite a few.
P6300191.jpg

</div></div>

Whoa. When I saw this photo angels started singing . . . NICE collection! I've got two GAP bolt guns (308 & 338) - looks like I have some catching up to do.
wink.gif

Rob is amateur,

Have him repost when he cross the 12 S&B mark, then he'll be at least in arms distance of reaching my foot. LOL
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If money was not object then the S&B 5-25x would probably be my choice.

However, I came back from Kentucky PRC this weekend. Shooting in hot, steamy and soaking wet weather from 255-1001 yards in field conditions, I didn't once regret that the Razor HD was on my rifle. It did exactly what I needed it to do.

Yes, it's only five mils per rev, but until I actually feel a high-speed Razor I will stay with what I have. I didn't have any problem cranking the turret rapidly and accurately under time.

The scope stayed soaked for three days. The only time it got to dry out was overnight in the hotel room. It has taken some serious hits on concrete prior to this, with no impact on the seals.

I run the EBR-2 reticle and it was great for fast targeting and precise shots. I declined the EBR-2B upgrade when I sent mine in for the eyepiece upgrade last year.

Razor HD Review: http://8541tactical.com/Razor_HD_review.php

178338_409034002465637_2091569615_o.jpg

</div></div>

Sweet - that's really good information on the Razor! The Razor HD 5-20x50 with new ocular seems to be the clear choice for under $2K - awesome scope that holds up in the field with the best. I'm sure I'll buy the Razor at some point and if I were budget constrained (like my wife wants me to be
crazy.gif
) then this would be the no-brainer choice. For my first ELR I'm OK spending 1.5-2 times to get the very best as long as the difference is meaningful. My local shooting buddies don't have ELR setups so I'm thinking buy top end optics for this build, practice and learn for a while so I can figure out what I want in a custom 338, then swap the Razor onto this rifle for my buddies to shoot and move the scope I buy now to the custom build.

Not everyone can be the man Frank is. He is what we all try to become before we leave this earth LOL
wink.gif

Moadrifter the GAP Templar is a very good action for a .338 as well. Mine is a few years old and they have made some upgrades since then like the one piece bolt. Another excellent option is getting a Surgeon 1581 XL action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moadrifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In response to:

Not sure why? 10 lbs (+/-) is the target (+/- means plus at this point because I lost the "under 10 lbs" option when the 22/23 oz scopes didn't hold up to feedback from forum members on optics quality).

7 lbs 10 oz for the base rifle, 8 oz for ti rings & base takes the rifle and mounting HW to 8 lbs 2oz.

Two remaining options for scope weight - 31/35 oz and 38/42 oz. A 31 oz scope tops out at 10 lbs 1 oz and a 38 ounce scope puts the build at 10 lbs 8 ounce. </div></div>

Moadrifter - Oops, missed this post. So, if you're not worried about being 8 oz over weight get an S&B 3-20/5-25 or the new Kahles 6-24. The S&B is tried and true (at least the 5-25 model) and the Kahles comes from a great pedigree. I'm also not giving up on the USO option for you either! I really think you'd be happy with a 5-25 Tpal EREK too! I'm happy with mine. Food for thought.

Nice rifles guys!!! I had a Razor EBR-3 and couldn't fall in love with. I went to the NF NXS 5.5-22x50 ZS HS MOAR for now. I'm waiting for the FFP version to come out. Mils or moa doesn't matter to me I can use both and ranging at 5.5x,11x and 22x doesn't really bother me. I guess if I was on a 2-way range I would definitely want FFP. I wear prescription glasses with impact resistant lenses so I'm not sure if the best glass on the planet would make a difference. NF fills my needs and when they get a F1 out with more mag I'll be even happier.

I too have shot a few, I do like NF & the Razors that I have owned. I never had a problem with eighter but for me its S&B when you are in bad/thick air or bad weather then you will be glad you have the Bender. I have had my Razor or NXS out shooting beside a Bender and I was just able to make out the target due to haze in the air and with the Bender it was no problem even with more magnification. However I am leaving after I type this to pick up my new Kahles K 6-24x56 so we will see how it stacks up to the Bender. But honestly all the scopes mentioned are great, I just like looking through the Bender a little better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moadrifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In response to:

Two remaining options for scope weight - 31/35 oz and 38/42 oz. A 31 oz scope tops out at 10 lbs 1 oz and a 38 ounce scope puts the build at 10 lbs 8 ounce. </div></div>

Moadrifter - Oops, missed this post. So, if you're not worried about being 8 oz over weight get an S&B 3-20/5-25 or the new Kahles 6-24. The S&B is tried and true (at least the 5-25 model) and the Kahles comes from a great pedigree. I'm also not giving up on the USO option for you either! I really think you'd be happy with a 5-25 Tpal EREK too! I'm happy with mine. Food for thought. </div></div>

Jonthomps - Thanks. Based on your feedback, Lowlight and others it's definitely down to the S&B 5-25 and Kahles 6-24.

The weight issue was deemed not top priority in this post:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifles guys!!! I had a Razor EBR-3 and couldn't fall in love with. I went to the NF NXS 5.5-22x50 ZS HS MOAR for now. I'm waiting for the FFP version to come out. Mils or moa doesn't matter to me I can use both and ranging at 5.5x,11x and 22x doesn't really bother me. I guess if I was on a 2-way range I would definitely want FFP. I wear prescription glasses with impact resistant lenses so I'm not sure if the best glass on the planet would make a difference. NF fills my needs and when they get a F1 out with more mag I'll be even happier. </div></div>

Yeah - that. The FFP issue and just a bit lower optics quality nixed NF for me up front. Awesome scope for field use though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moadrifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moadrifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In response to:

Moadrifter - Oops, missed this post. So, if you're not worried about being 8 oz over weight get an S&B 3-20/5-25 or the new Kahles 6-24. The S&B is tried and true (at least the 5-25 model) and the Kahles comes from a great pedigree. I'm also not giving up on the USO option for you either! I really think you'd be happy with a 5-25 Tpal EREK too! I'm happy with mine. Food for thought. </div></div>

Jonthomps - Thanks. Based on your feedback, Lowlight and others it's definitely down to the S&B 5-25 and Kahles 6-24.

</div></div>

If it's down to those two my vote would be to spring for the extra couple hundred and go with S&B. They're the uber-cool kid everyone wants to be. Tried and true, tough as a coffin nail. Or, you could just flip a coin
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifles guys!!! I had a Razor EBR-3 and couldn't fall in love with. I went to the NF NXS 5.5-22x50 ZS HS MOAR for now. I'm waiting for the FFP version to come out. Mils or moa doesn't matter to me I can use both and ranging at 5.5x,11x and 22x doesn't really bother me. I guess if I was on a 2-way range I would definitely want FFP. I wear prescription glasses with impact resistant lenses so I'm not sure if the best glass on the planet would make a difference. NF fills my needs and when they get a F1 out with more mag I'll be even happier. </div></div>

How do you like that MOAR reticle? Small floating center dot with open box around it, clean lines, numbers so you don't have to count - and you can think straight over in inches for the follow up. For that reticle and the great mechanicals/reliability, I think I could get over the slightly lower glass if there was an FFP but don't like dealing with the variables introduced with SFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moadrifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moadrifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In response to:

</div></div>

If it's down to those two my vote would be to spring for the extra couple hundred and go with S&B. They're the uber-cool kid everyone wants to be. Tried and true, tough as a coffin nail. Or, you could just flip a coin
wink.gif
</div></div>

Yeah - I'm pretty much there.

If you could bear with a little less magnification, you would be really happy with Leupold's new Mark 6 3-18. I received mine two months ago and the scope is delightful. The optical clarity throughout the whole power range is well defined and bright. Also, it weighs in at 23 ounces, and although you decided that weight was not a primary issue, I would think that it should still be a major factor. However, if you decide that you need more magnification, then I would second the Schmidt and Bender, they are really excellent as well

took a trip to the desert last week and a buddy had one could not tell a difference between my night force but still a great scope cant go wrong with it.