• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Does Remington have Silverbacks barreling thair actions ?

jdemp1

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2007
florida
Holy sheet !
I just finally got the barrel off a brand new Sendaro profile Varmint 700. GD it has been years since I pulled a barrel off a 700, between the sealant/locktite whatever crap they use,and the torque used I managed to break two Oak barrel holders I use in my Farrel barrel vise. Even with plenty of rosin used the barrel kept turning. Finally I put a pipe cheater on the take up nuts and really cranked them down, breaking the Oak, heated receiver a bit with propane torch, using a 5lb dead blow hammer it started to move after a couple of blows !!
Damn glad I didn't try this with any kind of rear entry wrench that surly would have damaged the receiver.
FWIW.........I was pretty impressed with this new action. The bolt has min slop and no movement when pushing down on bolt when in battery, threads nicely done no measurable taper and damn the bolt rides nice and not really bad slop when fully open. For mass produced it was lots better than my older 700's from the early 2000's
That sealant/locktite wtf it is is a real PITA especially since they kindly put some on front scope threads . THANK YOU REMMY LAWYERS
Does Remmy hammer forge their barrels or are they outsourced ? If outsourced who does them ??? Thanks

Well, I just boogered up one of the screws in the scope base holes because of the locktite or whatever it is...and why don’t they use Allen or Torx head screws, stupid slotted screw broke on the first attempt at removal.
Never seen a set of scope hole screws so tight in my life. I bought 2 of these Sendero’s, lucky they are only donors.

Cheers.

Holy sheet !
I just finally got the barrel off a brand new Sendaro profile Varmint 700. GD it has been years since I pulled a barrel off a 700, between the sealant/locktite whatever crap they use,and the torque used I managed to break two Oak barrel holders I use in my Farrel barrel vise. Even with plenty of rosin used the barrel kept turning. Finally I put a pipe cheater on the take up nuts and really cranked them down, breaking the Oak, heated receiver a bit with propane torch, using a 5lb dead blow hammer it started to move after a couple of blows !!
Damn glad I didn't try this with any kind of rear entry wrench that surly would have damaged the receiver.
FWIW.........I was pretty impressed with this new action. The bolt has min slop and no movement when pushing down on bolt when in battery, threads nicely done no measurable taper and damn the bolt rides nice and not really bad slop when fully open. For mass produced it was lots better than my older 700's from the early 2000's
That sealant/locktite wtf it is is a real PITA especially since they kindly put some on front scope threads . THANK YOU REMMY LAWYERS
Does Remmy hammer forge their barrels or are they outsourced ? If outsourced who does them ??? Thanks
They hammer forge and button rifle their own barrels.

Reactions: Snuby642
Maniac
If you have some sort of slot left ........try using an electric soldering gun tip on whats left of the screw to melt the locking compound, it will loosen enough to possibly turn out. The rear base screws on mine came out easily compared to the front one, that damn front one was a real ball buster

Reactions: Snuby642
Yes, they’re installed by gorillas.

In the future, if you don’t care about the barrel, use a hacksaw to cut a relief groove a bit in front of the recoil lug.
Therein is the problem, brand new virgin barrel, borescoped it and was not too awful so wanted to save it

You can buy brand new Remington actions from Zanders for a pretty good price. The new ones are quite nice.

Had the same issue with my 30-06 when rebarreling to 280 AI. The barrel was not shot out, so my plan was to save it. Finally had to use heat and a pipe wrench with a long breaker bar on the barrel. It was quite the battle but the action was unharmed in the end.

Get a good barrel vise and ditch the wood blocks. I’ve removed tons of Remington 700 barrels and never even had one slip
Yeah I need to upgrade barrel vise, using the wooden blocks with a hole is getting old, yes it works but Remmy factory rifles are a BITCH
I'm sure all the sealant crap is LAWYER caused.......like a lot of problems today.......jus sayin :) :)

Holy sheet !

We tear down a metric shit ton of guns every day, week, and month. Remingtons are not hard to do at all. Tikka's, Howa's, Springfields, and Mausers are the real cock suckers. I'm going to sound like a salesman, but I'm really not trying to pimp my stuff. Just know that I have been exactly where you have multiple times with products sold as "the solution". Time is money for me, my staff has better things to do than fight stuff.

That realization compelled me to actually solve it one day around 8 or so years ago.

We've never had a barrel removal problem since I made what we call the "SuperDuty" line of gunsmithing tools. We install north of 100 barrels per month. The average barrel goes on/off the action at least 4 times during the course of that job. So, were looking at around 400 duty cycles per month. If we add in the fluting, piece work for muzzle threading, etc, were probably closer to 500/month.

500/month ='s 6,000 a year. Thats 48,000 duty cycles over the last 8 years give or take. The bolts on our vise finally wore out last summer and had to be replaced. It cost me $12.00 to fix. I used grade 5's when I made this cause that's all we had available in short order. All of our vices are fitted with grade 8 hardware now. The go to tool for remove in our shop is a 3' breaker bar in 1/2" drive. Its pretty common for us to insert a 6' cheater bar (heavy walled pipe) over that thing when we get one of the actions I mentioned earlier. I've had the knuckles and guts replaced on that breaker bar 2x a year for the last 5 or so years because of it. The vice however doesn't give up the goods.

One thing, we never use heat. Once upon a time I did, but not anymore. It really does open the door for more problems than solutions.

Happy to help.

C.

1597341892249.png

1597341909267.png

Last edited:
Chad, That is some vise you made, what a TANK, almost looks like you bone charcoal cased hardened it...........or did you ?
Beautiful work as is everything I see coming out of your shop. That receiver is on its way to you now for tune up :)
FWIW I really enjoyed watching the Video of your machining a 700, some big investment in equip !