• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does Rifling twist rate causes narrower accuracy node?

Max_The_Phoenix

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2022
Usa
Hi Everyone,
I was searching the forums but couldn’t find a straight answer:
I put together another 28” 6.5 creedmoor build and the twist rate is 1:7.5
Didn’t have a chance to start the load development since I am on a long vacation.
Questions:
-does 1/7.5 twist have narrower accuracy node comparing to 1/8 twist? (0.2 grains vs 0.4 grains)
- does 1/7.5 show pressure signs faster and with lower powder charges ? Therefore makes the barrel slower?

Thanks

A higher twist rate will cause more spin drift, which changes depending on environmental factors (like air pressure, temourature, etc). So that leads to inconsistency’s
Without any load development it shoots 0.5 moa at 100 yards with very mild load
I already chambered 2 barrels with the same spec 😕
Bartlein HV 1:7.5 28”

My experience is that slightly tighter twist will help (over) stabilize bullets for a given weight, and also if you shoot through thr transonic barrier it tends to pass better. So unless you are shooting to 1200+ meters, tighter twist (for the most part) is not needed. Yes slightly higher initial pressure. The bullet also travels marginally further in a tighter twist than a slower twist. If you "unwind" the rifling, the tighter twist is longer.

Ill echo people and say that 8 to 7.5 twist is almost irrelevant, and only REALLY good shooters in very specific situations can detect the difference.

@Frank Green can clarify in words better than me.

Hi Everyone,
I was searching the forums but couldn’t find a straight answer:
I put together another 28” 6.5 creedmoor build and the twist rate is 1:7.5
Didn’t have a chance to start the load development since I am on a long vacation.
Questions:
-does 1/7.5 twist have narrower accuracy node comparing to 1/8 twist? (0.2 grains vs 0.4 grains)
- does 1/7.5 show pressure signs faster and with lower powder charges ? Therefore makes the barrel slower?

Thanks
Twist rate has no bearing on pressures and velocities. Bore and groove size and I'll throw in the exact chamber spec are going to have the impact on pressures and velocities. All the data I've ever seen on p&v test barrels the twist rate means diddly squat. Doesn't matter if it's a 308win., 6.5CM etc... a 12 twist barrel produces the same pressures as a 8 twist barrel. Given the bore and groove sizes are with in proper tolerance and same reamer was used.

Every cartridge has a low and high accuracy node. Usually the low node has a wider tune window. Again in my opinion the twist will have nothing to do with a wider or narrower tune window.

A lot of shooters seem to always forget about the bullets and the powder. I'll put it one way right now and this is how the bullet/ammo maker and powder makers say it.... "the bullet, powder and barrel....these three things have to work together." If one is off that doesn't mean the barrel is bad or the powder is bad or the bullet is bad.

What powder you using?

What powder charge?

What bullets exactly?

What reamer spec cut your chamber/throat to?

What velocity are you getting?

How many rounds on the barrels? If less than say 60ish.... wait as the barrels usually speed up a little. Not all the time but it's normal because your laying down the carbon and that's what causes the speed up. Also how your cleaning it and how often in between the number of rounds fired makes a difference as well.

Also shooters over look the bullet big time. You/we assume the bullet should just shoot. I know one bullet maker holds the tolerance of they're match bullets for example to size +.0002". They're size could be .2642" + .0002" for example. But another bullet maker could hold size and lets say it's zero which would mean .2640" and they're tolerance is +.0007" or +.0009"! Now factor in the actual barrels bore and groove size. See where I'm going with that?

I always say this.... go for the accuracy first. Let the velocity fall where it is. If your getting (I'm just picking numbers here), Sub half inch groups and your velocity is at 2700fps.... but you bump the powder charge and your trying to get to 2800fps but the accuracy goes to 3/4moa... run it at 2700fps. I'll take the accuracy first.

Need more info brother!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Thanks for clarifying the pressure thing. Id had suspicions about it for ages, but have no way of testing it. Thanks for the post !

Twist rate has no bearing on pressures and velocities. Bore and groove size and I'll throw in the exact chamber spec are going to have the impact on pressures and velocities. All the data I've ever seen on p&v test barrels the twist rate means diddly squat. Doesn't matter if it's a 308win., 6.5CM etc... a 12 twist barrel produces the same pressures as a 8 twist barrel. Given the bore and groove sizes are with in proper tolerance and same reamer was used.

Every cartridge has a low and high accuracy node. Usually the low node has a wider tune window. Again in my opinion the twist will have nothing to do with a wider or narrower tune window.

A lot of shooters seem to always forget about the bullets and the powder. I'll put it one way right now and this is how the bullet/ammo maker and powder makers say it.... "the bullet, powder and barrel....these three things have to work together." If one is off that doesn't mean the barrel is bad or the powder is bad or the bullet is bad.

What powder you using?

What powder charge?

What bullets exactly?

What reamer spec cut your chamber/throat to?

What velocity are you getting?

How many rounds on the barrels? If less than say 60ish.... wait as the barrels usually speed up a little. Not all the time but it's normal because your laying down the carbon and that's what causes the speed up. Also how your cleaning it and how often in between the number of rounds fired makes a difference as well.

Also shooters over look the bullet big time. You/we assume the bullet should just shoot. I know one bullet maker holds the tolerance of they're match bullets for example to size +.0002". They're size could be .2642" + .0002" for example. But another bullet maker could hold size and lets say it's zero which would mean .2640" and they're tolerance is +.0007" or +.0009"! Now factor in the actual barrels bore and groove size. See where I'm going with that?

I always say this.... go for the accuracy first. Let the velocity fall where it is. If your getting (I'm just picking numbers here), Sub half inch groups and your velocity is at 2700fps.... but you bump the powder charge and your trying to get to 2800fps but the accuracy goes to 3/4moa... run it at 2700fps. I'll take the accuracy first.

Need more info brother!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Thank you for taking the time writing this for me sir.
On my hunting rifle proof 26 inch sendero ligh barrel, my max velocity node without ejector mark was :
39.9grs of h4350, 147 ELD, cci 450 and lapua brass@ 2627fps
There is 530 rounds on this barrel.
The gunsmith used his own reamer.

I clean every 50-100 rounds, always get rid of the carbon ring and copper.

The new bartlein barrels are chambered with my newly purchased JGS 6.5cm Saami reamer.
I duplicated the load for the new bartlein barrel on my target rifle to just fire form the virgin brass, I wasn’t able to chrono the shots due to the issue I had with the Labradar, but didn’t have any pressure signs on those 50 pieces of brass I shot and I had some sub 0.5 inch 3 shots groups with Bartlein HV 1:7.5

I think that proof barrel is super slow comparing to even hornady manual and other folks with similar setup.

I will report back about the final load after I come back from vacation.

Thank you again Frank, I got all the answers I needed and now it all makes sense to me.

Max

Litz claims in his books, IIRC, that overspinning reduces close range accuracy - look at BR shooter twists, usually not tight.

But in transonic, faster spin keeps bullet more stable. So depends on what you're after.

Also, you would think that faster spin would increase energy because there's more rotational energy in addition to the linear 1/2mv^2 energy - and while this is true, if you do the calculations the rotational/spin energy is so small as to be negligible when added to the linear energy.

Litz claims in his books, IIRC, that overspinning reduces close range accuracy - look at BR shooter twists, usually not tight.
The bullet quality and or the loaded ammo quality (runout) I feel has a lot more to do with it than anything else. A drastic comparison is this and it happened to me....

1-7 twist factory Colt AR15a2 barrel. 69gr SMK shot 3/4moa at a 100 yards. Not bad for a factory rack gun with a $7 barrel on it at the time. When I shot 55gr ball ammo thru it on average 1 or 2 rounds would go thru the target sideways. Perfect keyhole rounds on the target. Went back and loaded more 69gr SMK and this time I loaded up 52gr Hornady HPBT match bullets as well. The 69smk went right back to 3/4moa. First group of the 55gr ball ammo (it was Winchester Ball) one of the five rounds goes thru the target sideways. Then I went to shooting the 52gr Hornady's. Guess what. Those dam bullets shot 3/4moa and none of them went thru the target sideways. That goes back to the quality of the bullet/quality of the ammo and those 52gr and 55gr bullets will fly out of a 14 or even a 15 twist barrel.

Thank you for taking the time writing this for me sir.
On my hunting rifle proof 26 inch sendero ligh barrel, my max velocity node without ejector mark was :
39.9grs of h4350, 147 ELD, cci 450 and lapua brass@ 2627fps
There is 530 rounds on this barrel.
The gunsmith used his own reamer.

I clean every 50-100 rounds, always get rid of the carbon ring and copper.

The new bartlein barrels are chambered with my newly purchased JGS 6.5cm Saami reamer.
I duplicated the load for the new bartlein barrel on my target rifle to just fire form the virgin brass, I wasn’t able to chrono the shots due to the issue I had with the Labradar, but didn’t have any pressure signs on those 50 pieces of brass I shot and I had some sub 0.5 inch 3 shots groups with Bartlein HV 1:7.5

I think that proof barrel is super slow comparing to even hornady manual and other folks with similar setup.

I will report back about the final load after I come back from vacation.

Thank you again Frank, I got all the answers I needed and now it all makes sense to me.

Max
Max, The only way to know what is up with the Proof barrel is to have the bore and groove checked and measured for size. You need to know to the 4th decimal place. My guess would be the bore/groove is tight and hence forth pressuring up faster than what it should be.

Again though that is a guess without seeing it and measuring it.

Then you have the powder and bullets being different/same lots. If they are the same as what your shooting thru our barrels then I'll say it's with the barrel or the chamber on the proof barrel.

I've got three 6.5CM up and running. Two of the barrels are 7.5 twist and one of them is 6.75 twist. Yes 6.75 and that's not a typo. I'm running 41.3/41.5gr of H4350 and my 147/150/153gr bullets are right at 2700fps give or take a smidge. All three barrels are giving me the same numbers. All used our chamber reamer. It's a Saami chamber spec on the case dimensions but a .020" shorter throat. So it will still chamber box ammo without the bullet jamming into the rifling. The 6.75 twist barrel was chambered for my by Wade Stuteville with the same reamer spec.

Max, The only way to know what is up with the Proof barrel is to have the bore and groove checked and measured for size. You need to know to the 4th decimal place. My guess would be the bore/groove is tight and hence forth pressuring up faster than what it should be.

Again though that is a guess without seeing it and measuring it.

Then you have the powder and bullets being different/same lots. If they are the same as what your shooting thru our barrels then I'll say it's with the barrel or the chamber on the proof barrel.

I've got three 6.5CM up and running. Two of the barrels are 7.5 twist and one of them is 6.75 twist. Yes 6.75 and that's not a typo. I'm running 41.3/41.5gr of H4350 and my 147/150/153gr bullets are right at 2700fps give or take a smidge. All three barrels are giving me the same numbers. All used our chamber reamer. It's a Saami chamber spec on the case dimensions but a .020" shorter throat. So it will still chamber box ammo without the bullet jamming into the rifling. The 6.75 twist barrel was chambered for my by Wade Stuteville with the same reamer spec.
Yes I think I just shoot that one until it dies , will do a corbon bartlein next time
Thanks again

Reactions: Frank Green