• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does scope to barrel height.....??

JC_Tikka6.5

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2020
So I'm just starting to get into long range shooting. To be honest I've done only a couple hundred yards. Now I want to step it up. Here is my set up and then my question.

Tikka 6.5 creedmoor 24" barrel
ESS chassis with a full rail 18" forend with a 20 moa High rise rail to go with the MDT full rail.
Scope is a 5x25-56 34mm tube(currently being shipped)

Now that I had to run a high profile 20 moa rail due to running the 18"full rail . This will bring my scope a bit higher then running a regular profile MOA rail. The distance from my scope to barrel wont be as close as if I ran it with out the rail being in the way.

1)Is this going to affect my long range shooting significantly?

2) also if someone that is reading this has my same set up what was the lowest scope ring size you used to get it as close to the rail as possible?

Last edited:
1) No.

2) If you have the rifle/chassis/scope at hand, use the stack of pennies method to figure out how much ring height you need. Each penny is 1.52mm or so. Stack them up in place of your rings.

6 pennies = 9.1mm from rail to bottom of scope. Tube diameter / 2 = the distance to center. Add those two numbers together.
34mm / 2 = 17mm
17mm + 9mm = 26mm
This is the easiest way to determine Minimum ring height for me. Do it for your combo and you’ll be sure to get the right ones.

Or playing cards etc. just anything you can stack that won’t tumble over.

The only time the extra height can cause an issue is when it’s so high you can’t properly use your cheek rest and have to try and float your head in space.
Other than that the ballistic calculated will take that entered measurement into consideration. And your real world dope will have have that built into its result so no really worry about it will effect down range, it’s effects stay localized to you and the rifle.

Reactions: JC_Tikka6.5
Or take your gun to a LGS and try them out, before buying. Some friendly places will allow this, they understand the challenge.

Good luck on your new endeavor.

PB

possible if to low, interference in cycling the bolt

I just swapped my ESS setup from a Badger scope rail and the no-rail handguard to the full rail handguard and the MDT matching High scope rail. Although my MDT medium unimount woulda just fit (with Bushnell HDMR2) I replaced it with the high (1.5") MDT unimount so as to be compatible with a clip-on night optic.

All I did after the swap was measure distance from centre of bore to centre of scope, updated my Kestrel, re-zeroed (had to go 0.2UP, 0.2R) and then go verify my dope out to 940 yards.

Unless your cheek rest dictates that you have to be low, there is no reason to be as low as possible to the action. That is history and is not necessary for good long range shooting. In fact being very low can hinder your attempts a shooting long distance.

Unless your cheek rest dictates that you have to be low, there is no reason to be as low as possible to the action. That is history and is not necessary for good long range shooting. In fact being very low can hinder your attempts a shooting long distance.
6ECA2063-D845-40DB-9DF7-F08C273895F6.gif