• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does Sniper's Hide really need the constant flow of LE bashing?

Somewhat/not related:

I got pulled over for speeding the other day in Louisville; I was evidently doing 41 in a 35, but I got caught by the last 10 minutes of "school zone" so the speed limit was 25mph.

Damnit. I was talking to my father on my phone and though I knew the school was there, I thought surely 4:20pm was well past let-out time...but I guess not. My bad, I was distracted and screwed up.

Officer was polite and cordial but told me that Kentucky had a "no talking on cell phones" law. I live about 8 miles across the river in Indiana, smack in the Louisville media market, and had not heard this. I apologized to the officer and told him I did not know that Kentucky had a cell phone law, he said it was new and banned "handheld electronic communication devices" and he was only warning people until it had been effective for at least 6 months. I got my $168 citation, wished him a good afternoon and went on my way.

When I got where I was going I immediately jumped on the computer and checked the Kentucky Revised Statues and Google - NOTHING. Kentucky has a newish texting while driving law, and drivers under 18 are forbidden to talk on a phone while driving, but there is no prohibition on drivers using a cell phone if they are over 18 which I very clearly am.

The officer either lied to me in an attempt to 'scare' me into not talking on a phone while driving (which is legal, if not smart) and used the 'warning' line as if he was doing me a favor...or was completely ignorant about the law he is sworn to enforce.

While I earned the speeding ticket and the transaction was very polite and professional, I was kinda pissed about a LEO spreading incorrect information about the law.

Somewhat/not related:

I got pulled over for speeding the other day in Louisville; I was evidently doing 41 in a 35, but I got caught by the last 10 minutes of "school zone" so the speed limit was 25mph.

Damnit. I was talking to my father on my phone and though I knew the school was there, I thought surely 4:20pm was well past let-out time...but I guess not. My bad, I was distracted and screwed up.

Officer was polite and cordial but told me that Kentucky had a "no talking on cell phones" law. I live about 8 miles across the river in Indiana, smack in the Louisville media market, and had not heard this. I apologized to the officer and told him I did not know that Kentucky had a cell phone law, he said it was new and banned "handheld electronic communication devices" and he was only warning people until it had been effective for at least 6 months. I got my $168 citation, wished him a good afternoon and went on my way.

When I got where I was going I immediately jumped on the computer and checked the Kentucky Revised Statues and Google - NOTHING. Kentucky has a newish texting while driving law, and drivers under 18 are forbidden to talk on a phone while driving, but there is no prohibition on drivers using a cell phone if they are over 18 which I very clearly am.

The officer either lied to me in an attempt to 'scare' me into not talking on a phone while driving (which is legal, if not smart) and used the 'warning' line as if he was doing me a favor...or was completely ignorant about the law he is sworn to enforce.

While I earned the speeding ticket and the transaction was very polite and professional, I was kinda pissed about a LEO spreading incorrect information about the law.

So, you are absolutely certain that the city itself doesn't have a city ordinance banning the use of cell phones and the officer misspoke?
And, by the way, you weren't doing 41 in a 35, you admitted yourself that it was clearly posted as a 25 mph zone when the school zone was active.

So, you are absolutely certain that the city itself doesn't have a city ordinance banning the use of cell phones and the officer misspoke?

Yes. Additionally, the officer specifically said it was a new STATE law...which it is not.

And, by the way, you weren't doing 41 in a 35, you admitted yourself that it was clearly posted as a 25 mph zone when the school zone was active.

No one is more acutely aware of that fact that I was doing 41mph in what was at that time a 25mph than me, but thanks for following my storytelling.

Yes. Additionally, the officer specifically said it was a new STATE law...which it is not.

No one is more acutely aware of that fact that I was doing 41mph in what was at that time a 25mph than me, but thanks for following my storytelling.

The very first line of your post says "I was evidently doing 41 in a 35"
In regards to the cell phone ordinance, I'll give you an example (I'm not saying it applies)
In Texas, the legislature passed a law allowing municipalities to enact and enforce a no cell phone rule. So, there is no law in the Texas transportation code prohibiting it, but it allows cities to prohibit it. In our city, we also gave a six month "warning period" before enforcing the ordinance.
Again, not saying that is the case, but it MAY be a similar circumstance. Even though the Officer said it was in the state transportation code ti may have been a city ordinance. What city was this in?
The guy could have been a dumb-ass, or merely mistaken, both of which are entirely plausible.

I am absolutely certain that you have never been mistaken about anything in your life and, having the benefit of always being right, you have difficulty understanding that mere mortals make mistakes or misunderstand things.

The very first line of your post says "I was evidently doing 41 in a 35"

Yes, which the follow-on expanded upon. Put another way, I wouldn't drive 16 miles over the limit in an active school zone, but I didn't think it was active. I was wrong, I paid the price.

I am 100% certain that Louisville/Jefferson Co. Kentucky does not have a local cell phone ordinance. As I said, I live 8 miles north of the city, in its metro area, in its media market. A cell phone law would be major news, and I would have known about it.

I have made plenty of mistakes in my life, but this officer, who was extremely professional, didn't mince words on the NEW STATE LAW banning talking on a cell phone while driving.

So like I said, he either lied or is ignorant of the law he enforces. The latter is much better than the former...but still ain't a good situation.

Do we need a thread asking why it is so hard for a cop to criticize another cop? Is it that cops are okay with other cops killing citizens unjustifiably when its clearly an unjustifiable shoot captured on video? Are they thinking there but for the grace of god go I? Or i it somewhere in between, the blue wall of silence?

Dont get me wrong gents, I wouldn't want your job, its a shitty thankless job most of the time for 99.9 % but for that 0.1 % I think its an opportunity to act out all the dirty harry movies they watched as a kid.

Last edited:
Yes, which the follow-on expanded upon. Put another way, I wouldn't drive 16 miles over the limit in an active school zone, but I didn't think it was active. I was wrong, I paid the price.

I am 100% certain that Louisville/Jefferson Co. Kentucky does not have a local cell phone ordinance. As I said, I live 8 miles north of the city, in its metro area, in its media market. A cell phone law would be major news, and I would have known about it.

I have made plenty of mistakes in my life, but this officer, who was extremely professional, didn't mince words on the NEW STATE LAW banning talking on a cell phone while driving.

So like I said, he either lied or is ignorant of the law he enforces. The latter is much better than the former...but still ain't a good situation.

fair enough, but your basically implying malfeasance, and as I said, that may be true, but if he had otherwise acted in a very professional manner he may have been mistaken.
Sometimes wrong info is put out, due to misinterpretation, that is the shit that is most difficult to get out of peoples heads.

Do we need a thread asking why it is so hard for a cop to criticize another cop? Is it that cops are okay with other cops killing citizens unjustifiably when its clearly an unjustifiable shoot captured on video? Are they thinking there but for the grace of god go I? Or i it somewhere in between, the blue wall of silence?

Dont get me wrong gents, I wouldn't want your job, its a shitty thankless job most of the time for 99.9 % but for that 0.1 % I think its an opportunity to act out all the dirty harry movies they watched as a kid.

if you are referring to shit like the recent shooting in SC, most of those conversations are something like this:
What a dumb ass, that guy is fucked.
and
That poor guy will never have to work another day in his life, lucky that cop couldn't shoot for shit.

So yeah, those stupid fuckers that make obviously bad shoots are talked about, in the most negative way you can imagine.

Didnt hear about that one, rarely ever go looking for this type of info, mostly if its posted here on the hide by the more interested members and sometimes on Youtube or a facebook posting. Thanks for your blunt honesty.

if you are referring to shit like the recent shooting in SC, most of those conversations are something like this:
What a dumb ass, that guy is fucked.
and
That poor guy will never have to work another day in his life, lucky that cop couldn't shoot for shit.

So yeah, those stupid fuckers that make obviously bad shoots are talked about, in the most negative way you can imagine.

I am absolutely certain that you have never been mistaken about anything in your life and, having the benefit of always being right, you have difficulty understanding that mere mortals make mistakes or misunderstand things.
Guy 1 - "hey, you wronged me."
Guy 2 - "Oh, so you've never wronged anyone!?!?!?!"

Sorry... but that logic doesn't make it through even the most basic sanity check.

Guy 1 and guy 2 are hypothetical people. I was merely demonstrating the absurdity of countering criticism with deflection of responsibility as a result of no one being perfect.

No one was countering criticism with deflection.
I was, however, postulating that there may be, in fact something going on besides malfeasance. I did NOT say that malfeasance wasn't possible.
Cops are people, people make mistakes. Sometimes due to bad information, sometimes due to lack of applying oneself, sometimes due to lack of training/education, sometimes due to stupidity.

You guys have to admit that the level of bashing that LE receives on here is NOTHING compared to when someone starts a thread asking " What SNIPER RIFLE should I buy and how much terminal velocity do I need to get the job done" ! ........................" yall know what I mean "

Or how to evade a sniper..

You guys have to admit that the level of bashing that LE receives on here is NOTHING compared to when someone starts a thread asking " What SNIPER RIFLE should I buy and how much terminal velocity do I need to get the job done" ! ........................" yall know what I mean "

Maybe, just maybe LE is finally getting the point to police their own. More and more everyday we hear about police corruption or a bad shoot. Or LE just overstepping their boundaries. Look I get it there are bad people out there. But to have the us VS them attitude all time doesnt help their cause. Police should be making sure they are on the up and up. They are public servants, and should realize they are always in the limelight.

The US vs Them mentality is on both sides of this fence. We have the cop bashers who think nothing a cop can do can be right then we also have cops who are apologists for any thing other cops do no matter what.
Pat

Cops who do their jobs professionally aren't recognized and that's fine. Cops who go above and beyond might receive a blip. Cops who screw up get the focus and attention. No one is looking for a cookie but many would appreciate not being lumped in with the assholes.

It's amazing how many come to the keyboard frothing at the mouth when the anti gunners label all firearms owners as murderous criminals yet many have no issue labeling all cops based on the actions of a few.

Well said.

Somewhat/not related:

Talking on the phone (stats now show distracted driving kills as many as impaired).
So basically you're pissed because he's interfering with your right to do something stupid that may kill someone.
Okay....
BTW, maybe you don't have kids, but the reason the school zone speed limit goes till 4:30 is because of things called 'extracurricular activities'.
Sorry...I have an 11 and a 13 year old...I have ZERO tolerance for speeding or distracted driving in school zones.

Last edited:
Talking on the phone (stats now show distracted driving kills as many as impaired).
So basically you're pissed because he's interfering with your right to do something stupid that may kill someone.
Okay....
BTW, maybe you don't have kids, but the reason the school zone speed limit goes till 4:30 is because of things called 'extracurricular activities'.
Sorry...I have an 11 and a 13 year old...I have ZERO tolerance for speeding or distracted driving in school zones.

I live less than 100 yds from two school zones and during their ingress/egress times, it's 15 mph, so I'm always conscious of my speed, basically idling through.

41 in a 25 is 16 over and warrants a ticket IMO, especially in a school zone.

Relying on cops knowing their state statutes is a topic for another discussion.

Chris

No, I was pissed because he told something was a law and it was not.

I fully admit my responsibility to driving too fast and distracted, the consequences of which I earned and have zero heartburn about.

Does not change the reality of a LEO adamantly telling someone they were breaking the law, when they were not.

Two kiddos, BTW...and I have changed my habit patterns since.

No, I was pissed because he told something was a law and it was not.

I fully admit my responsibility to driving too fast and distracted, the consequences of which I earned and have zero heartburn about.

Does not change the reality of a LEO adamantly telling someone they were breaking the law, when they were not.

Two kiddos, BTW...and I have changed my habit patterns since.

Did he write you up for 'talking on the phone?'

If not, you were really pissed that you got popped to the tune of $168 for speeding in a school zone and are trying to rationalize that anger by taking it out on a cop who maybe confused the 'texting law' with actually talking on the phone?

I got popped by a red light camera back in the beginning of May for turning right on a red, which is legal in most circumstances. When the letter came in the mail, I could see that the time stamps for both photos showed that I had stopped for a good 3 seconds, so I was wondering what I did wrong?

Upon further scrutiny, I could see a sign at the very top of the traffic light standard stating 'no turn on red' and so that was that.

It cost me right around $168 and I might have seen the sign, if not for facing west at 6:30pm with the sun setting and shining right in my eyes.

Move on.

Chris

Reading (and comprehending what was written) is fundamental, gents...

One is 'presumed to know the law,' you should have shouted him down and put him in his place, if he was incorrect.

You blew it.

Anyhow, I'm glad you didn't run over any kiddies in your haste.

Chris