• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Does suppressor count as Barrel Length?

clrblu22

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2014
PNW
My questions is this:

If I purchase a 20" barrel for my 6.5saum and add my TBAC Ultra 7 (making overall length 27"), will the muzzle velocity be more or less than a standard 26" barrel? using the same loaded rounds.

I've read many times that suppressors do not reduce muzzle velocity, but is that assuming that barrel length is the same? (in other words, 26" barrel vs 26" barrel w/ 7" suppressor attached).

Any input or experience is appreciated.

Typically they chrono from dead even to +20 fps
Just to confirm...

You're saying my 26" standard barrel with my current 6.5SAUM load (3030 MV) - will Chrono the same as a 20" barrel with my 7" TBAC? If that's the case I'm ordering a 20" proof tonight!!

Thanks in advance for your help Zak!!

No, they are saying a 20 inch + supressor, or a 20inch no supressor, will be almost identical. Granted, I am not an expert, or even an amateur at this. That's just how I read it.

Suppressors generally increase the MV by ~ 20fps, versus no suppressor on the same barrel.

Increasing an inch of barrel generally increases MV by ~ 25 FPS.

Just to confirm...

You're saying my 26" standard barrel with my current 6.5SAUM load (3030 MV) - will Chrono the same as a 20" barrel with my 7" TBAC? If that's the case I'm ordering a 20" proof tonight!!

Thanks in advance for your help Zak!!
Lol, no not even close. You ain’t getting your 6 inches of barrel back. Plan on getting none of it back.

From a fair amount of testing with a Labrador, I would say that 20fps is a decent rule of thumb. I guess that would get you almost an inch back depending on caliber.

Reactions: Snuby642
I think each barrel is different between brands, and calibers as to fps loss per inch.

We have a 308 that clocks 32fps per inch from factory rounds as advertised and a 223 that is about 20fps per inch.

We also got the +30 ish on the cans.

Reactions: Jimgal62
Just think about the tube and the gases trapped behind the bullet. Obviously, once the gas moves into the volume of a can and is no longer directly behind the bullet, it's not going to act like the barrel anymore.

Just think about the tube and the gases trapped behind the bullet. Obviously, once the gas moves into the volume of a can and is no longer directly behind the bullet, it's not going to act like the barrel anymore.
That's a great way to put it, and that's what I had imagined from the beginning. However, we keep hearing about people getting "increases" in their MV - and it doesn't make any sense how that could be. I agree, it's a larger chamber and therefore the gasses spread out more, so it would seem to reason that the speed would drop. My only theory is that the reduction in parasite drag induced by the barrel on the bullet has a greater effect on MV, than the minimal loss of gasses as they are introduced to the suppressor chamber. Basically, the bullet is free of the barrel and still receiving 90-95% of the energy from the gas, so has the potential to still increase MV.

From a fair amount of testing with a Labrador, I would say that 20fps is a decent rule of thumb. I guess that would get you almost an inch back depending on caliber.
That poor dog!

And no the bullet is propelled by hot expanding gasses... the suppressor works by cooling and slowing down those gasses so the effect a suppressor has on muzzle velocity is within the margin of error most of the time and not really a factor to be considered.

That poor dog!

And no the bullet is propelled by hot expanding gasses... the suppressor works by cooling and slowing down those gasses so the effect a suppressor has on muzzle velocity is within the margin of error most of the time and not really a factor to be considered.

Auto correct for the win!

Point is still valid though. Lots of groups averaged shows an increase consistently with a can. The same physics that makes a sail boat move through the water, will make a bullet continue to accelerate inside a suppressor. Obviously with a lot less efficient application than a barrel. That's why you only get roughly 15% what you would get from 7" of barrel.

Reactions: RTV