• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does this rifle exist?

ramsfan6239

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2017
Scotia NY
I'm trying to find if a production or custom manufacturer has what I'm looking for in a rifle. I've listed what I need in order of importance.

1) 7.5lbs or less with everything minus scope/rings/muzzle brake. Not concerned if it's got a chassis system or stock.
2) <$2500
3) detachable magazines (preferably metal)
4) 16-18" barrel, threaded for 5/8x24
5) Available in 308 or 6-6.5mm standard calibers
6) Have a thick enough barrel to go through 10-15 quick shots without going over 2 MOA
7) Flat Trigger (or ability to accept one)
8) Adjustable cheek piece
9) Fluted Barrel

I realize I'm basically spelling out a Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle, but I just got word they won't be shipping until December, and well, I'm impatient. Let me know if there is a production rifle like this, or someone who can build this for me.

I can't think of anything that mirrors those exact specs, that said, it's nearly November, I would just wait for the Christensen MPR to drop seeing how close you are to the expected release date. Maybe go ahead and purchase your glass, rings, and whatever other accessories you'll want/need and be ready for the rifle when it ships. I'd even look into pre-ordering or pre-purchasing one to secure one of the first ones out the door. Good luck with your search for an alternative, but I find that it's always best to get exactly what you want the first time around that way you aren't constantly wondering what if, in which you will almost always end up scratching that itch and end up spending more in the long run.

Something to consider in your quest.
Regarding your #6 prerequisite above, the barrel "thickness" will have little or no effect on POI shifts from heating when using a quality barrel.

Your goal should not prove too elusive. The Seekins Havak weighs 7.3 pounds and meets all points except barrel on intro models is longer than your preference. No doubt there would be others out there close as well.

./

Either a tikka or the seekins havok

Ruger american. Not by any means the nicest boat, but it means your required goals easily.

CGS in Artesia NM has what you need already built or can put one together with minimal wait because they have everything on hand. This is an often overlooked upstart that also manufacturers good suppressor. There not here because they have plenty of skunk works business. They just happen to be down the road about 70 miles is why I know them.

I'm with you on this one, waiting anxiously for that Christensen. Checking daily for any hands on reviews from writers, or really any new info I can find on it. Waiting to see how well they shoot. As soon as I can get some 3rd party info/reviews on them and they are positive I'll be ordering the 22" 6.5 Creedmoor. Hell of a lot of gun for a good price and great weight. Hoping it's a shooter.

The fix from Q fits the bill for everything but the price, $3k. But also they are really hard to find.

I have one pre-ordered. 6.5 w/22” barrel. I’m afraid that my dealer won’t receive it until February and I, myself am very impatient as well. I have a Carbon Classis that is a shooter and I’m anxious for the MPR. I’m really hoping Christensen releases some additional info on expected shipping dates soon.

the Bergara HMR, BMP, or LRP are all pretty close. The HMR is in a traditional stock and weights like 9.5 lbs. the other 2 are chassis's weighting 11-12lbs

Last edited:
The Tikka CTR fits most of those. Not the last 3, but those seem to be the least important from a practical standpoint; all of which can easily be remedied for far less than your price cap.
Q: Why do you need a fluted barrel if the rifle already meets criteria #1 & #6?
You can replace the trigger, build up a good check weld, and have a great rig out of the box!

Comparing a Tikka T3 CTR or T3x CTR to your criteria:

1) 7.5lbs or less with everything minus scope/rings/muzzle brake. Not concerned if it's got a chassis system or stock.: Yes 7.5 lbs on the nose
2) <$2500; Yes, just under $1K
3) detachable magazines (preferably metal) Yes, 10 round metal.
4) 16-18" barrel, threaded for 5/8x24. No, 20" barrrel. Yes, threaded 5/8's x 24
5) Available in 308 or 6-6.5mm standard calibers: Yes, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem and 308 Winchester
6) Have a thick enough barrel to go through 10-15 quick shots without going over 2 MOA. Yes, No, Maybe; never tried that many
7) Flat Trigger (or ability to accept one) NO.
8) Adjustable cheek piece: No, but with $1500. remaining in your budget there's a bunch of stocks and chassis you can buy that will have an adjustable cheek piece for this rifle
9) Fluted Barrel. No, but if it meets your weight limit who cares??

I can just add to BobinNC's post that I HAVE done 10-15 quick shots in a Tikka .T3x CTR 308 and it kept grouping just fine. The contour is more than thick enough on the CTR.

This came up on the Christensen arms Facebook feed this morning....

7lbs all in including the bipod...

Attachments

• photo78440.jpg
    photo78440.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 15
T3x CTR

Flute the barrel and chop it to 18" if you want. Still at half your price cap with the most accurate factory solution available.