• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does your LGS suck?

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    I wanna support my local guys... seriously. I'd rather pour my Benjamins into the local economy than some publicly-traded monstrosity who doesn't give a hoot about me.

That said, my closest LGS that is also SOT -- a group of really nice dudes -- just sucks at service. I've had nothing but stalls and waits with them, whether it's filing Form-4's (they're a Silencer Shop dealer with kiosk), Cerakoting my junk, engraving my F1 tubes, or <Insert Job Here>.

The owner (a really nice guy), apparently, is the only guy capable of handling Form-4's, working the engraving laser, and performing Cerakotes -- but he's always out doing "something." When he is in, he doesn't exactly inspire confidence and exude quality workmanship.

I ordered 3x TB Ultra 9's from MH that were Form-3'd shipped to my LGS on June 2. They arrived June 5 (a Friday). I went the next day, paid his fee, did the SilShop kiosk thing, went to SS website and bought 3 stamps, providing my Kiosk code) dropped off my approved F1 tube for engraving, left a Spuhr mount for basic Cerakote, and went home. Well, I just got the SS ATF docs for signing 4 days ago!!! He told me my laser engraving would be done the following Monday, but it took 3 weeks. The Cerakote never got done, so I just picked it up this past Saturday (he called me because I was a little miffed that things were taking forever and told me he was out with the COVID).

Anywho, I really haven't been to any LGS that impressed me. I'd love to find one between (north of) Birmingham and (south of) Huntsville, Alabama that is SOT, has mad Cerakote and gunsmitty skills, and just GETS THE DAMN JOB DONE in a reasonable time (or at least does what they SAY)!

Am I just unlucky? Are they all just different variations of suck, so live with it?

You want things done in a timely manner I suggest sending it to LRI. There on this forum and I’m sure would help you out. Not sure about the NFA items but cerakote etc there the guys to call.

I sent them some bolts to be fluted/cerakoted. Not only did they have it done when they said they would but also sent me emailed pics of the progress along the way. Generally in the gun world if someone says 3 weeks I take that as “can I afford to be without this for 2 months” but LRI came through and I would 100% send any barrels/actions etc to them in the future for cerakoting. This is all I used them for but I’m sure they have other services that would help you out.

Generally speaking anything NFA related will be a waiting game...so patience grasshopper

Tagging in to see if there are any suggestions for the area as I live in the same area of Alabama. I cannot think of any here either. Maybe try reaching out to ptarms.com. They have a shop in Hoover, near Brock’s Gap. Did a G34 frame job for me in a day or two.

Reactions: TheHorta
    There are 2 in my hometown, and yes, they both suck, however there are 3 within my greater metro area that are true jewels.

1.) Donley's Gun Shop in Quakertown, PA: Right off, the owner is a bit of a fudd. As in "racking the action of a shotgun will scare away the bad guys & getting a trigger job on a carry gun will get you prosecuted" type of fudd. He's actually said both of those things to me. I usually don't deal with him, though. Generally I see his wife. For a lady in her 50s, she's a straight badass. Just recently got a new tattoo, she hunts, and loves ARs. There was a young guy in there buying his first gun from them when I was doing a transfer about a week ago (a very nice, gently used Beretta 92fs) . She patiently guided him through the process & was very enthusiastic about getting someone new into the hobby. I've never bought a firearm from them, but they only charge $25 for transfers for online purchases. They also recently put in a Silencer Shop kiosk.

2.) The Handgunner in Topton: Fair prices & knowledgeable staff. The owner, Randy is just a pleasure to deal with. If you want something, he'll get it & won't charge you much more than the big online guys, even when Sales Tax is taken into account.

3.) 507 Outfitters in Easton: If you're a self proclaimed gun hipster like me, this place is pretty much heaven. The owner is an immigrant from Poland with a real passion for firearms. He has a full line of CZs, HK, FN, Glock, Ruger, SIG, etc. He also knows his stuff. Also has surprisingly good prices. Pretty sure the only reason he hasn't put overpriced Heritage Guild right next door out of business is they have a gun range where you can go shoot whatever you just bought from him for 2/3rds the $ they're selling guns for.

Lots to choose from here. Not a lot on the shelves.Even in a good day you can have fast, quality or cheap. Did you really think LGS are just sitting on their butts? These guys are buying as much as they can. Their margins are shit so they need volume. Cerakote always takes time to do properly. To top it all off dude was sick?

I think right now if you need it fast you need to:
    Tell them
    Offer to pay a premium

Even then it might still not be in the cards.

If it was “easy, cheap, etc” you would do it yourself.

I think complaining about speedy service right now is like complaining about the cost of ammo. You knew it was going to happen. If not, no wonder you are disappointed.

Be patient. This won’t last forever. Later when times are slow LGS will remember who they owed a favor and hopefully you get some “buddy deals” in a year or two.

Happened to me in the last panic. When prices were cheap I was paying dealer cost on Ammo from my LGS. Why? Because I reminded them how many times they fucked up my form 4. Shipping problems they caused. Delay times they caused. So for their sins I needed a better price on Ammo.

Maybe this is an opportunity and not a problem?

Most of the gun stores around here suck. But, you are looking for more than I would reasonably expect from a "gun store." You are looking for gunsmithing services as well. I'd say that my local gun store is pretty top notch, though they do not offer any of the ancillary services you are looking for. What they do have are a large inventory, good prices, great CS, low/no fees on FFL transfers, and free shipping during the plandemic. If I were looking for gunsmithing, I'd find a dedicated smith. The recommendation of LRI is great, though not local to most. That said, shipping is pretty easy too...

Reactions: RTH1800
    Need details on you getting your junk ceracoated. Sounds painful. No photos please. 😁

My LGS is pretty awesome. 😁

1596048382083.png

I have a couple good ones local to me(about 15-20 minutes from me). Both are SOT, one is a little more modern and better put together, the other is kinda thrown together and cluttered. Really the only thing I go to them for is mags, kinda random parts/pieces if I’m putting together an AR or something. Most of their employees are knowledgeable, some are prior military and law enforcement so have that training/tactical background. But honestly most stuff I end up buying online for reloading related stuff or stuff that I know I won’t be able to find at them and waste the driving time/gas. I have a couple more shops around me that are not SOT but move a lot of guns and hunting stuff and have the typical “gun shop” guys behind the counter that have put 20k rounds through every pistol and AR they sell so know pretty much everything.... I avoid those stores and rarely spend money at them because I don’t want to promote the bad advice they hand out.

I try to spread the wealth based on need. LGS gets enough business to know I'm a customer. Otherwise I try to use GS's where the owner operates the business.
    Like many on this site.

There's several local gun shops that I go to and they can be hit or miss depending on what you need so there really isn't a one stop shop for stuff.
    Gunstore #1 has decent transfer fees and they're pretty friendly and willing to help out if they can. Their inventory is the usual Magpul, Desantis Holsters, basic cleaning supplies, and mish mash of tactical nylon and kydex gear, some good good, some imported.

Gunstore #2 is fudd heaven

Gunstore #3 is also a reloading shop that overcharges for everything just like the owner overcharges his handloads. That being said, he's usually willing to wheel and deal so if you have something to offload chances are he'll buy it from you.

Gunstore #4 is a little out of the way and it's actually a hardware store but they're gun section is pretty decent. Before the purge they had a good selection of ammo, not just the fudd stuff but Hornady and Federal match in various calibers, good parts selection for AR's and pistols, decent accessories section, and not just overstocked with Magpul fare. All in all a diamond in the rough.

There's another gunstore at the south end of the county but I've never been to it, it's too far out of my way for stuff that I can probably get just a 10 minute drive from the house. The range I shoot at also has a pro shop with a good selection of stuff like Armageddon Gear, Fix It Sticks, SK and Lapua ammo, stuff like that. We have a Cerakote finisher near my house but I haven't used him for that yet, he does a helluva job on powder coat projects though, I've used him to save my ass several times for work. He also does good hydrodip work, he did the skins on my AX AICS and they still look good a few years later.

When I'm on the road for work I'll sometimes happen by a Sportsman's Warehouse or Green Top so I'll pull in to the parking lot to stretch my legs.

Quality Work
    Customer Service
    Fast Turnaround

You only need two of these to make it in the industry, and most shops only excel in one.
    When I used to run a gun shop, I learned how hard it was to do all three. It's possible. But I can see why most don't or can't.

One of the easiest ways to guarantee consistent results as a business owner is to take on most of the responsibility yourself. However by doing this, your business will never grow, and you will always be limited to what you can handle. At some point you have to trust your employees and business partners. It's a risk, but that's the only way to excel in all three of the above qualities.

OP,
    Sounds like your guy is trying to do everything himself and unfortunately the clients suffer that loss.

My LGS is great, by focusing on meeting the interests of customers as best he can. Up front, follows through, and down to earth. A good dude, with the lowest transfer fees in the area, $20. Stoken Arms in Port Townsend.

Quality Work
    Customer Service
    Fast Turnaround

You only need two of these to make it in the industry, and most shops only excel in one.
    When I used to run a gun shop, I learned how hard it was to do all three. It's possible. But I can see why most don't or can't.

One of the easiest ways to guarantee consistent results as a business owner is to take on most of the responsibility yourself. However by doing this, your business will never grow, and you will always be limited to what you can handle. At some point you have to trust your employees and business partners. It's a risk, but that's the only way to excel in all three of the above qualities.

OP,
    Sounds like your guy is trying to do everything himself and unfortunately the clients suffer that loss.

The hardest part about owning a business (any industry) is hiring the right people when it's time to start growing. You hit the nail on the head. Too many people hire buddies/friends, or fun people to be around, or whatever. Good business comes before fun, and it's a hard lesson not many people ever learn. You can do all three you mentioned, but I'd argue 'price' should be in there. That's the lever that's hard for some people to actuate because they try to race to the bottom with everyone else on slim margins. That's when CS/quality/turnaround/etc goes south, quickly. You can't afford to pay people much, have to do insane volume, and are generally running on a razor's edge budget.

Reactions: Bakwa
    Replying to an older OP.... Had a deal going at my LGS for 6 months, had to wait for it to pan out or go south....... The lying was getting to be world class. I just could not pinpoint who was lying. It was either the manager of my LGS or one of the top shelf manufacturer's in the weapons industry. I swung in this morning and he said "I have good news for you"... So, after spending over an hour there and filling out lots of paper work and talking with both the owner and manager (Both young men)...... I came to the conclusion they were being lied to by one of the most supposedly reputable manufacturer's in the industry.... Like many, they were believing what they were told......... Because a top shelf manufacturer would just not lie to them.... Sometimes when dealing with young men, I just have to stand back, keep my mouth shut and watch them learn a lesson. We were all young at one time.

Hobo

I have a range/LGS I shoot at, but MIle High is just about 40 min away.
    Not bad to live 10 min from work and my kids school daily and that close to MH.

Just was there a week ago. Gotta call Troy and bust his nuts about my sales tax on my scope. 🤣

Reactions: BikePilot
    There are 2 in my hometown, and yes, they both suck, however there are 3 within my greater metro area that are true jewels.

1.) Donley's Gun Shop in Quakertown, PA: Right off, the owner is a bit of a fudd. As in "racking the action of a shotgun will scare away the bad guys & getting a trigger job on a carry gun will get you prosecuted" type of fudd. He's actually said both of those things to me. I usually don't deal with him, though. Generally I see his wife. For a lady in her 50s, she's a straight badass. Just recently got a new tattoo, she hunts, and loves ARs. There was a young guy in there buying his first gun from them when I was doing a transfer about a week ago (a very nice, gently used Beretta 92fs) . She patiently guided him through the process & was very enthusiastic about getting someone new into the hobby. I've never bought a firearm from them, but they only charge $25 for transfers for online purchases. They also recently put in a Silencer Shop kiosk.

2.) The Handgunner in Topton: Fair prices & knowledgeable staff. The owner, Randy is just a pleasure to deal with. If you want something, he'll get it & won't charge you much more than the big online guys, even when Sales Tax is taken into account.

3.) 507 Outfitters in Easton: If you're a self proclaimed gun hipster like me, this place is pretty much heaven. The owner is an immigrant from Poland with a real passion for firearms. He has a full line of CZs, HK, FN, Glock, Ruger, SIG, etc. He also knows his stuff. Also has surprisingly good prices. Pretty sure the only reason he hasn't put overpriced Heritage Guild right next door out of business is they have a gun range where you can go shoot whatever you just bought from him for 2/3rds the $ they're selling guns for.

Looks like you're not terribly far from me...ish...

If anyone is in the ballpark of central Bucks County PA I'd very, very highly suggest ArmorUp in Dublin. Fair prices, humble yet informed crew and great owner.

We need to do this! I’m within an hour of mike high and it’s my go to. Need to make a run over there for some more AI mags and I want to try the new loaded Berger 144s.

Lots of Mile High quote “locals”. When we are going shooting?

I won one of Geissele's super duties that they raffle on Friday's. When I picked it up at my LGS, the guy said. "Never hear of Geissele, must be a low end manufacturer." I got a good chuckle out of that.

Mine suck too. One is owned by a solid dude, but very limited in sale items...he mainly builds AR's and rifles for LE departments...thinks Huskemaw scopes are the bee's knees. 🙄

The other is large, has an indoor pistol range, outdoor skeet, overpriced on everything, and had potential, but they got rid of all their reloading and LR stuff. They do have flamethrowers, Black Rifle Coffee, Yeti, and Big Green Eggs though! 🤦🏼‍♂️

Good news is, I can drive north a couple hours and visit SAC and Area419. Not shops, but for smithing, it's nice not having to ship guns.

1st world problems to me, living here. i'd love to have complaints like this.

I like mean, nice people but they are almost always closed.

I have three LGS. One has great guys with great attitudes but a really limited selection in terms of firearms and ammunition. The second has been around forever and the owner is just a complete pr..k. The third is huge with a great selection and really knowledgeable staff. But the funny thing is that they have you queue up outside of the building and you have to wait for a sales associate to look at a firearm or optic. They have 5 sales people. The wait can be up to 4 hours.

• Wow