• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Dog Attacked By Coyote

Abbotm2

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 3, 2019
    North Cackalacky
    I was at the hunting camp this weekend and just got back from sitting in the stand Sunday morning, let my dog out and she went off in the woods like always to hunt squirrels or whatever. Maybe 10 minutes later she came running back up to the house tail between her legs and hair stood up all the way down her back barking like crazy like something was after her. First thought was coyote so I grabbed my rifle but never saw anything. Wasn't till 30 min later a saw a little blood on the porch, thought she cut her foot, then found about a 2" hole on her hip, never really bled bad. Rushed to the vet and they stitched her up, and found a another tooth mark around her belly. Not sure if the Yote came after her or if she got on the wrong scent. Looks like Im in the market for some thermals now...

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_4775.JPG

Had to have my Bassets ear sewn back together after a run in with a Yote. He has a chunk missing that the vet couldnt save.
    Not tried thermals but I do shoot them in daylight, they are most active in the early AM around me.
    Been very active at night lately.

They can be fun to hunt over a gut pile. A mouth call that sounds like a hut critter works well too. Be aware that they can sneak in behind you, bust you and go on about their business and you'll never know they were there. When we set up there will be 2 of us sitting back to back or spaced apart where we can cover each others backs.

Reactions: tnichols
    On the flipside, my Black Mouth Cur will not venture more than 30 yards from me unless he's chasing or collecting a squirrel. Thank goodness... because he doesn't back down for shit and he wouldn't win against a wild animal, I'm betting.

get you a game caller and put a barking dog on it. lure them in and punch their ticket. of contact the local trappers. a good canine trapper will help resolve that shit

I have a Fox Pro but have never had any luck calling them in, its all pines around us with no open fields really.

I will try sitting on bait after deer season .

I was at the hunting camp this weekend and just got back from sitting in the stand Sunday morning, let my dog out and she went off in the woods like always to hunt squirrels or whatever. Maybe 10 minutes later she came running back up to the house tail between her legs and hair stood up all the way down her back barking like crazy like something was after her. First thought was coyote so I grabbed my rifle but never saw anything. Wasn't till 30 min later a saw a little blood on the porch, thought she cut her foot, then found about a 2" hole on her hip, never really bled bad. Rushed to the vet and they stitched her up, and found a another tooth mark around her belly. Not sure if the Yote came after her or if she got on the wrong scent. Looks like Im in the market for some thermals now...

View attachment 7500687

View attachment 7500688
    Yikes! Glad she’s ok.

View attachment 7500687

View attachment 7500688
    Glad that cute critter is on the mend!!

A friend and I got one each Sunday while waiting on deer.

Attachments

• 62955580963__36ABD04B-2683-46FE-84B3-74967F8B618C.JPEG
      62955580963__36ABD04B-2683-46FE-84B3-74967F8B618C.JPEG
      1.1 MB · Views: 68
    • IMG_1027.jpg
      IMG_1027.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 56
    I use a bluetooth speaker and my phone. Primos Cat Nip works pretty good. Called in few coyotes a bobcat and an owl.

Reactions: camocorvette
    Up here we’re it’s cold they’re worth skinning especially that black one. I go so far as to use a .17 either Remington or wsm. I even am building a .172 pcp air rifle so I can be quiet without getting a stamp or asking gov permission. Happy shooting

Thermals are the way to go if you can swing the coin...just make sure you check the regulations regarding their use.

Here in Oklahoma they can be killed at any time if they are actively preying on livestock or poultry. Otherwise you need a permit issued by the local warden.

Last year I knocked one off of a calf in time to save the calf. I shot a hog that night and used it as bait the following night. I killed five coyotes in about an hour in one hay meadow that came to that hog. After that night, things calmed down for a while.

Agreed on the gut pile. Free meal or so they think. I kill them all, but doesn’t help for maybe a year as others assume their territory.

Lost a lot of stock to them. No quarter given. Don’t care for the fur, I need them dead. I will thread the shot between cows if I have to. It’s my cows, so it’s on me and I’m comfortable with my rifle.

Most don’t realize how effective and intelligent they are. Glad to see your dog is going to be OK. That would seriously piss me off.

A friend of mine lives a few miles out of town. He had a coyote come trotting by behind the house. His 120lb lab/cross took off. By the time it was said and done, his dog was cut up and the yote was dead. His dog ended up with stitches on its head, legs and side. He said it was all but over by the time he grabbed a shovel and took off running.