• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dogs at rifle matches

change my mind.jpg

More specifically, 50-100 braked rifles at a PRS match.

It was a shoot owner who's dog bit half a kids face off so they can fall into category 2 as well. (Not a PRS shoot but same principal.)Guy lost his property over it. Again, nothing to be gained, much to be lost.
Also, no one is going to change their mind until it's too late.
I know nothing about what happened, but that sounds downright awful.

I'm curious if you guys can share best practice here. I'm shooting my first match next Saturday the 14th - I figured I'd give it a try because every stage is going to be shot from prone or "modified prone" (not sure what that is) which I think is going to be as easy as it can get. Also, you have to shoot suppressed, event is called the "Belly Button Can Jam" in CO Springs.

I'm going to try my best to come in dead last, but I was thinking, since the entire thing is going to be suppressed, can I bring my dog? I imagine she'd be sitting in the car most of the day, but wanted to ask you guys if this would be considered weird behavior or not. My dog sitter worthy friends are busy that day so if not I need to come up with a solution.
I used to take my dog to matches.. depending on the size of the dog, they make eye and ear protection for them. Mutt Muffs is what I used to use for mine. He was a GSD. Wonderful dog and my match buddy until distemper took him way too soon. Miss him every day.

• Sad
Reactions: Woodland_Wolf_M81
Be smart, leave the dog at home. You point is going to the match and shooting, worrying with and about the dog is a total distraction. Shooting at a match is a fairly intensive and frankly scary thing for the new shooter. You have plenty to worry about without having the Dog along.

Its kinda like people who bring dogs to bike races. Their ”darling” gets loose, causes a major wreck, people go to the hospital with season ending injuries, and huge medical bills, 10K dollar bikes are wrecked/destroyed and the dog owner can’t understand why the competitors are upset.

Its a shooting match not a dog show.

People have lots of opinions about Colorado. About the weed and the liberals and the terrible driving and the traffic to summit county and the homelessness problem and the scourge of Texans that has made the Southwest an exhaust choked wasteland paradise ruined by RVs and Razors. Somewhere near the top of the list of worst things about CO should be dogs and their shitty owners. Dogs left in or around cars at the ski area, dogs racing around in packs at the climbing crag, dogs running along with/around mountain bikers, dogs in grocery stores, dogs in restaurants, dogs in the airport, dogs on every mountain trail in the state, dogs chasing wildlife, dog shit in blue baggies left everywhere, incessant barking in every neighborhood. And all of these dogs: simply the best breeds, most capable, highest trained, exceptional(!).

Bullshit. Leave the dog at home. In almost every circumstance where you will interact with the public. Especially a shooting match.

Every dog problem is a poor judgement problem on the part of a dog owner. Dogs themselves are great.

Depends on the dog. My last dog would have been terrified. Dog before that would have went to sleep when she realized no one was shooting at birds.

Depends on the dog. My last dog would have been terrified. Dog before that would have went to sleep when she realized no one was shooting at birds.

Exactly.

My Dad takes his German shorthair everywhere including the range. She stays in the truck, never makes a noise, just his buddy that rarely leaves his side. She has a bed in the back seat, it's where she is 100% of the time they're not at home.
Lord help you if you bring a shotgun and don't let her out of the truck to see the sporting range though. She thinks she got left behind and will shake half her fur out in anxiety because she should be hunting.

My dog will lay on the seat and go to sleep also. She doesn't care until the truck door opens, then it's time to hunt and kill mice. Again, she's been going places since she was a tiny puppy, and sleeping in the truck for an hour at the range is just normal. Luckily our range has a nice enclosure that shields enough noise that even braked rifles don't bother me or her in the truck 15' from the line.

Mine stays in the truck while I'm shooting without a can. Other than that, she's out while I'm at the range.
Still wouldn't take her to a match, mainly because she's an obnoxious asshole to people she knows/ likes 😁

Reactions: Tx_Aggie