• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Dominate Eye?

Re: Dominate Eye?

I shoot with my non-dominant eye, it took alot of practice to get my pistol shooting down and scoped rifle just followed. In my experience you can train it out but it takes work.

I am left eye dominate and shoot right handed. I have my whole life (54yrs) and don't know the difference. I shoot some shotgun also and do as good or better than most guys I've shot with. I just wink my left eye closed about half way and the right takes over. Probably not ideal but that's the way it is and I'm not going to change now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WYcoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just wink my left eye closed about half way and the right takes over. Probably not ideal but that's the way it is and I'm not going to change now.</div></div>

Well I had been just shutting my left eye as well and came across this article while researching scopes and they mentioned how to test which eye was dominate. So I tried it and found out that my left eye is dominate but I have always shot R/H and am 48 now wasn't going to change either but was more curious than anything else. Thanks for adding your comment guess I'm not the only one lol..

Most right handed people are right eye dominant and vice versa. I am L handed but have been shooting RH since I was 8 yrs. old.
Following my Daddy's recommendation while shooting my new-on-the-market Ruger 10/22, "If you want to stop getting powder in yer eye, you'll start shooting righthanded." So for the next 40 or so yrs. I closed my L eye while shooting. Now that my eyes are getting some yrs. on them, my eye dominance has changed to the R eye. That is unusual but not impossible. Now I shoot the way I was originally taught, with both eyes open.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I shoot the way I was originally taught, with both eyes open. </div></div>

I was thinking about that while at the range sunday. If it's better to shoot with both eye's open or having one closed or almost closed? Opinions

I'm kind of an oddball myself. Right handed, left eye dominant, but I can't wink(I know haha) My grandfather is the same way but he shoots left handed where as I shoot right handed. Seems less expensive. I have extremely good vision so its not like one eye is better than the other, I just have a patch over my one eye during competition and use my off eye to look down the spotting scope.

put some opaque scotch tape on the inside lens of your right shooting lens. It will force your left eye to do the work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: svencool</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I shoot the way I was originally taught, with both eyes open. </div></div>

I was thinking about that while at the range sunday. If it's better to shoot with both eye's open or having one closed or almost closed? Opinions </div></div>

Depends on the discipline, the reasons can be slightly different as well. For shotgunning two eyes (or tape on the glasses if you are cross dom) helps track speed and trajectory of the target. In tactical situations both eyes open helps see as much of the situation as possible to pick up threats and targets. Then there's the practical aspect of shooting a lot with one eye closed and fatigue.

I'm RH left eye dominant. I use tape for shotgunning to block out the barrel from my left eye. I still track the target with both eyes. Pistol I keep both eyes open and align my sights with my left eye. Rifle I close or squint my left eye. I'm all over the board.

I'm RH left eye dominant also. And am now working with myself to shoot both eyes open. I've done it enough so far when looking through a scope my right eye takes over. I also have my scope cover on my SN-3 to block out my left eye. Helps when i transition to other rifles because my right eye is so used to taking over.

I am of the opinion that with archery and rifles, you should match up your gear to your dominant eye rather than your dominant hand.

I am right eye dominant and shoot right handed.

I feel kind of sorry for right handed shooters who are left eye dominant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also have my scope cover on my SN-3 to block out my left eye. Helps when i transition to other rifles because my right eye is so used to taking over.</div></div>

Not a bad idea!!!

Im in the same oddball boat also. RH left eye dominant. I shot RH most of my life. I finally switched to left handed shooting 2 years ago. It took a while and alot of. 22 but I am comfortable and better shooting than before. The other positive is I can still shoot RH just as well.

I am a right handed shooter but have a slight left eye dominance. With scoped rifles, I keep both eyes open and have no issue because the image is more focused in the scoped eye. For pistols and shotguns, I shoot right handed, but target acquisition isn't natural.

Because of the lack of true dominance, I have found that target acquisition isn't any better when I switch to left handed, but it sure feels funnier.