• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Done my research and still over my head on 6mm

Scotts556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2009
Texas
Looking at building a bolt gun this coming year. Looking at something 6mm for lower recoil as would like to get the lady friend in on shooting this piece.

Going with a short action 700, 7.62 bolt face, in the 6mm flavor. But am way over my head when it comes down to which one. I reload. So I can roll my own. But whats out there? Would like to to be relatively easy to find stuff for. But it doesn't exactly have to be main stream off the shelf. Will be taking it out to 1000 meters sooner or later. Need to work with AICS mags. But other than that, all other details open.

Scott

Re: Done my research and still over my head on 6mm

Tag, interested in this thread

I've looked at the 243, 6X47 Lapua 6 BR and I'd like to hear bout what you guys use and how it stacks up.

Scott

6 Creedmoor would be the route I'd go.

What about 6mm Crusader? 115 DTACs at ~3250fps.
Built one for a friend and its a hammer at 1k.
Uses 6mm Rem brass, fireform and you're golden(even the fire forming loads showed reasonable accuracy.)

For ease of finding brass 243Win gets the nod.

I shoot 6x47L which I'm satisfied with but any of the common 6mm's will do fine.

6x47 or 6XC .... Run the 105 Bergers at about 3050 and you'll have a laser

I personally would go with either the 6mm Dasher or the 6XC, and get the reamer cut for either the 115gr DTAC bullets or the Berger 115gr VLD.

I suggest the .243 in a 7.5 twist 26" barrel. This twist will allow use of 115gr bullets and down. Length allows speed without using too much powder. .243 is standard without fireforming/extra work. Taper? I'm not much help, how much weight do you/she want? Any good barrel manufactorer(sp?) should be o.k.(I used lothar)

I would choose the 6x47 lapua for a short action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Striker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about 6mm Crusader? 115 DTACs at ~3250fps.
Built one for a friend and its a hammer at 1k.
Uses 6mm Rem brass, fireform and you're golden(even the fire forming loads showed reasonable accuracy.)</div></div>

+1 on This ^^^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sharpshooterbr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally would go with either the 6mm Dasher or the 6XC, </div></div>

Depends if he wants to feed through DBM, Dasher won't work as reliable and needs mag mods. For single shot, and not minding the hassles of forming, a super round indeed. I'd have a repeater built on this round in a heartbeat if someone actually had the mags for it. Super all-round case for 100-800y.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stranded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suggest the .243 in a 7.5 twist 26" barrel. This twist will allow use of 115gr bullets and down. Length allows speed without using too much powder. .243 is standard without fireforming/extra work. Taper? I'm not much help, how much weight do you/she want? Any good barrel manufactorer(sp?) should be o.k.(I used lothar) </div></div>

Weight for me is no problem, not stupid heavy. She wont ever have to lug this thing around. I Dreaming up a purpose built rifle for her( probably in a .22 cal. LTR? SPS TAC in .223 with a better stock?) But for now I'd at least like to get her on the range and shootin. I'm thinking the XLR ind. stock. But am still open on the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flying Dutchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sharpshooterbr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally would go with either the 6mm Dasher or the 6XC, </div></div>

Depends if he wants to feed through DBM, Dasher won't work as reliable and needs mag mods. For single shot, and not minding the hassles of forming, a super round indeed. I'd have a repeater built on this round in a heartbeat if someone actually had the mags for it. Super all-round case for 100-800y. </div></div>

Mag feed is a yes. Sorry, I thought i put the up in the op, my bad.

Scott

I have experience with the 6.5x47, 6BR, and 6x47. All are excellent. The 6x47 is a real nice varmint caliber. Easily poking groundhogs and woodchucks out to 800-1000yds. Same with the 6BR. Buddy won a few 1000yd varmint shoots this year with his. We have taken white tail deer and black bear with the 6.5x47 and 6BR. Accuracy from all these calibers is superb, easily half MOA or better. Here is a write up on a 6x47 varmint gun that my buddy built:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek093.html

243!! easy to find components. Tons of data out there.

7.5" twist Rem varmint barrel at 26"+badger thruster brake
stiller tac30 Aw cut
Manners t3 90% carbon with badger m5 inlet.

Thats perfection in my eyes!

My close shooting buddy uses a 6mm BR. It is unbelievably accurate!

It flies well at 1000 yards on days when the wind isn't too bad.

Amazing thing about his rifle is that the first load he ever tried is the one he is still using two years later. It is that accurate! He was never tempted to mess with success.

I think I'm gona go .243, SInce its a factory Remington option. And If I dont like it, I can simply change over to something else with a new barrel.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strive4More</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a DTA so you dont have to choose!!!! </div></div>

You have confused me?

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scotts556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I'm gona go .243, SInce its a factory Remington option. And If I dont like it, I can simply change over to something else with a new barrel.

Scott</div></div>
That sounds good. There was a link posted a little while ago about the chamberings that are used by the top tactical competition shooters. 6XC was very common. The issue that many have with 6mmBR is that there are problems getting it to reliably feed from a repeater action.

Tactical Shooters Equipment - What the pros use ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCDR JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scotts556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I'm gona go .243, SInce its a factory Remington option. And If I dont like it, I can simply change over to something else with a new barrel.

Scott</div></div>
That sounds good. There was a link posted a little while ago about the chamberings that are used by the top tactical competition shooters. 6XC was very common. The issue that many have with 6mmBR is that there are problems getting it to reliably feed from a repeater action.

Tactical Shooters Equipment - What the pros use ... </div></div>

I'm choosing the .243 Because of reasons like that, and its a factory option. So, I can just drop it in a stock of my choosing and start shooting. It should fill the mission for now, and as METT-TC Dictates what I need I can then GO from their with a new barrel or a new Chambering. And reloading for it will be easier.

Scott

I have a 6mm BR if you care about barrel life(2500 rounds) and recoil its the best pick for a 6mm, but it only really works in single shot rifle. My rifle can shoot .3 groups all day with the factory Lapua. A few years ago Lapua 6mm BR ammo was $33-$35 for 20 now its $45 or so.

If you go with a longer round you should really go with a 6.5mm. A 6.5 will have a barrel life of 4000 round rather then 1200 - 1500 for a .243 win or other things like it.

I think that the 6.5 creedmoor is the best designed of the 6.5's.

However if you want a low recoiling 6.5 the 6.5 grendel will have less recoil and cost in terms of barrel life and ammo cost. Unity Tactical is coming out with a chassis for the model 7 which will take standard ar15 mags and would be great in a Grendel. there are jewel triggers for the model 7 and pt&g makes a once piece replacement bolt.

If you are locked in on 6mm, I think the 6XC, 6CM, or 6SLR would be decent choices. I agree that 6BR is not something that seems readily tunable for magazine feeding.

I shoot monthly on the line with folks shooting 6XC, 6CM, and 6SLR that feed them from magazines shooting rapid-fire. These guys are all Masters or High Masters. My 6x47L is tuned to shoot fairly well from a magazine, but it still gets twitchy from time to time on fast bolt work (I am going to go 6SLR or 6CM when this barrel is toast).

.243 is a decent place to start, as you can see how it performs then adjust from there to a different chambering if that is what you want to do.

Jeffvn

6XC or 6CM
get barrel nitrated n should be good for 4k

243 way over bore n case design suks

The difference in recoil running 123 6.5 vs 104 6mm will be nominal, so 6.5CM for sure will work and have better barrel life.

skip 243/260 etc, use one of the high efficiency new cases
XC, CM, X47

everything considered CM is hard to beat be it 6 or 6.5

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scotts556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strive4More</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a DTA so you dont have to choose!!!! </div></div>

You have confused me?

Scott</div></div> DTA's are switch barrel Rifes so you just buy a barrel in each caliber you want to shoot and just swap it them out to what caliber you want to shoot that day!

If you go with a competition machine stock, it can load a 6br just fine. Look up the videos on YouTube. Go to their web site. Great tube guns.

Id go with a 6 Creedmoor, if you dont wanna get brass from GAP, you can fireform 250 Savage brass or 22-250 brass as well. Should get close to 3300fps in a 24" tube shooting 105s. If youre going to go the fireform route see what the diameter is of a loaded round and have the reamer made accordingly, my 22-250 brass should have a 270 neck, if I were going to use that brass, with my 6 Creed rifle Ive got a 275 neck since my brass is 272 loaded, I use Hornady brass from GAP. Looking at the price of 250 Savage brass Id get the brass from GAP.

I would just go with a plain old 243. I guess if you need something new and shiny, do a 6CM. Go with a 7.5-7.7 twist and your set.