• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Donor rifle? Dick's Sporting Goods - Rem 700 ADL

ChemE1975

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2012
California
Hello. I am thinking of buying a cheap Remington 700 as a donor rifle. It is Dicks Sporting Goods exclusive. I have included the web address to the rifle on the Remington web page. I have never had a custom rifle built, but want to get in on the LongRifles group buy. I'll sell or give away the stock and barrel and use the action and trigger. Simple question, I assume this donor action is as good as any other Remington 700 to move forward with a custom build?

Model 700 ADL Varmint Scope Combo in Mossy Oak Brush Camo

i got my donor rifle remington 700 adl- no package for 400 bucks and this will be my first build. i think adl is discountied and sps took over adl's place

The action on the ADL is the same as all the other remington 700 actions.

It will work fine. Let me knowing you get it... I need an adl trigger guard!

If you have an Academy Sportinggoods store near you they have the 700 ADL for $379 everyday price. It doesn't have the heavy varmint barrel but for a donor action its the best deal.

I sure hope they are ok, i just sent them 3 of the Dicks specials that I bought on the black Friday deal they had. With the coupons, dicks points etc... that my wife had I have about $250 in each action.Can't beat that.

If you can wait until November you can typically get that model for around $300-350 after sale and rebates. Even at $500 it's not a horrible deal, I've seen Remington varmint barrels sell for up to $200 on here. Just make sure you get it in 308 if possible, they sell the best.

If it was me though I wouldn't waste the money building a R700 when you can get a custom action for not much more. Even if you get sell the barrel for top dollar you'll have $500 in it by time you true it. If you want to fix the 700's shorts comings and do a side bolt release and Sako, or M16 extractor, there's another $300-$400. To do a bolt knob will run you $100, removing the solder and welding the bolt handle is another $100. Then you need a rail that will run you $100+. For $975 you can get a stiller tac 30 with all those features that most likely won't need truing, even if it does you're still money ahead. You can also buy it cut for AW mags so you get a double stack that can be top loaded, and load like a AR may so you don't have to fumble with sliding rounds into an AICS mag.

For a little more there's also defiance, pierce, and bighorn. Regardless, my money would go to a custom action if you're planning a build from the start. Not only will you get a better action, it will save you money.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the confirmations. Also, good idea on keeping an eye out during Black Friday.

Rrflyer, I'll PM you when I have that extra trigger guard in my hands.

Walmart does not sell firearms in California anymore. But I hear you about Dicks...may just go to my LGS and have them source me something. Thanks.

If you have an Academy Sportinggoods store near you they have the 700 ADL for $379 everyday price. It doesn't have the heavy varmint barrel but for a donor action its the best deal.
ChemE, I believe that you can go online and order one from Academy if you are going the R700 action route. I believe they have them listed for $379. ADLs that is.

So this isn't really on topic but why would you buy from Dick's after what they pulled after Sandy Hook? Go to Academy or Sports Authority.

ChemE,

I was down on my property over the last few days.

Shot only 2 5 round shot groups with my Dick's Special Rem 700-V.

Here they are. Hope that the visual answers your question.

Attachments

• Tight Groups.jpg
    Tight Groups.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 35
I concur, my Dicks special .243 shoots great, even in that POS stock. All I've done so far is drop a Timney in there. It should make for a fine project rifle.

650 Yards

As others have said, the action and trigger will be fine, just buy it somewhere besides Dick's. They have not earned the loyalty of any gunowner... Spend your money with a company who will not throw you and your rights under the bus when it is convenient for them - cowards!!

As others have said, the action and trigger will be fine, just buy it somewhere besides Dick's. They have not earned the loyalty of any gunowner... Spend your money with a company who will not throw you and your rights under the bus when it is convenient for them - cowards!!

Well put. Dicks can suck dick

On that note... That action should be fine to use, especially if you have a smith work it over.

Hey, Guys, this is not about a specific consumer marketer, it's about buying a particular barreled action at the fraction of the cost of a custom barreled action and getting the same results out of the box.

Take your store loyalty somewhere else.

The point is, the discount versions of the Remington 700 barreled actions are not to be descredited out of hand because of their reduced costs.

I think the point is more that, why the hell should anyone pay $4500 for a barreled action that can't shoot more accurately, without empricial evidence and documentation, than a $450 barreled action.

There may be, perhaps, 3 or 4 people on this site that have the facilities to actually do scientific, empirical comparative tests among custom and commercially manufactured barreled actions.

One can make a comparison if, and only if, the human element of the equation is eliminated.

A man with a $20,000 rifle who has never mastered the basics, for the most part, is much less effective to the man who has mastered the basics shooting a $100 rifle.

As an old uncle of mine once said, "It ain't the gun, son . . ."

Hey, Guys, this is not about a specific consumer marketer, it's about buying a particular barreled action at the fraction of the cost of a custom barreled action and getting the same results out of the box.

Take your store loyalty somewhere else.

The point is, the discount versions of the Remington 700 barreled actions are not to be descredited out of hand because of their reduced costs.

I think the point is more that, why the hell should anyone pay $4500 for a barreled action that can't shoot more accurately, without empricial evidence and documentation, than a $450 barreled action.

There may be, perhaps, 3 or 4 people on this site that have the facilities to actually do scientific, empirical comparative tests among custom and commercially manufactured barreled actions.

One can make a comparison if, and only if, the human element of the equation is eliminated.

A man with a $20,000 rifle who has never mastered the basics, for the most part, is much less effective to the man who has mastered the basics shooting a $100 rifle.

As an old uncle of mine once said, "It ain't the gun, son . . ."

Um....Actually, it was about whether or not a Dicks 700 is the same as all other 700's for a donor action, to use in the LRI group buy.

OK, well to answer that specific question, they are, unless the representative of Remington Arms, with whom I spoke, blatantly lied to me.

And, given the actual performance of this assembly, I must surmise that the gentleman must have spoken the truth.

However, should you have any reservations with respect to those things I have published, please feel free to make contact with Remington, yourself, to assuage any concerns that you may have.

Last edited:
did the same thing. for some reason a used action on gunbroker is more than you can buy a new 700. and you get to sell the scope, barrel, and stock to make up some of the money

Went to Dick's to buy one of these today. They were $550 not $450. Damn. I was at Dick's last black Friday and they had a .308 in stock but I showed up too late and they wouldn't honor the deal. Anybody know where the cheapest place to find 700 Varmint in .308 is?

I have a 30-06 adl with a thin barrel and am getting consistent 1.5 moa from it with 40yr old government surplus ammo. I'm not a good rifle shot. It was $460 after tax 2.5 years ago. They have specials all the time if you keep your eyes open.

Remember it won't come with bottom metal, you'll have to buy it if you need it later on.