• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Donor rifle for 260 Rem conversion

yej0001

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Northern CA
Would like to get opinions on which base rifle to use; choice between FN SPR and Savage 10FP. The former is more expensive, but already has McM stock and detachable magazine option. If I buy an McM stock and badger bottom metal to convert an Savage into comparable configuration, cost would be similar. The question comes down to which action has better intrinsic accuracy? Is Winchester 70 (FN SPR) a better choice?

TIA

Re: Donor rifle for 260 Rem conversion

Well to answer your question of which has better intrinsic accuracy it would probably go to the Savage. Which probably comes down to the push feed versus controlled round feed.

Now that they has been said. I would not build on a Savage action and would go with the FN every time. Savages just don't have the "pizazz" to me. Their great guns and get a lot of guy in the sport but I'm just not going to do a build on one.

Re: Donor rifle for 260 Rem conversion

Thanks for the helpful comments!

Is $1000 or an FN SPR A1 (shot for about 1000 rounds) a smoking deal or a decent price?