• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Don't Eat Armadillos

Bushmaster7

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2002
CONUS
For anyone out there who are eating or planning to eat armadillos, DON'T!!! Can't understand why anyone would want to eat one; but there are actual confirmed links between armadillos and leprosy here in the USA:

Armadillo Leprosy

Stick with muskrats, whistle pigs, possums and the like just like we do here in South Jersey
wink.gif

Re: Don't Eat Armadillos

We call armadillos west texas lobsters because of the shell. I have never been hungry enough to eat one.

Any luck at all I never will be!

I hunt them with my truck, but I find tires destroy the meat alot more than bullets.

The article didn't exactly state how AIDS was transmitted from a chimp.

Is life so complicated that people can't figure out on their own that banging monkeys or eating armadillos probably aren't the greatest ideas in the world? Really? Someone had to tell you not to do that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The article didn't exactly state how AIDS was transmitted from a chimp.

Is life so complicated that people can't figure out on their own that banging monkeys or eating armadillos probably aren't the greatest ideas in the world? Really? Someone had to tell you not to do that? </div></div>

Nothing to do with sex, "cruiser."

Locals in parts of subsaharan Africa (and elsewhere) LOVE their "bushmeat." This can be any kind of meat. Often simian (ape, chimp, green monkeys). The thinking is (this is from several journal articles I've read as well as a decent discovery channel program on new and emerging diseases), when hunters go out in the bush they get scratched up pretty good. chimps carrying earlier versions of HIV (types I and II) bled all over the hunters, and the virus was spread like that into their wounds. Mutations occurred which produced HIV (formerly known as HTLV-3 in the early 80's) which has mutated further to an easily transmissible version.

Now you know.

They look like pill bugs, or as the kids say "rolly Polly's" why the f would someone eat a armadillo... nasty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushmaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For anyone out there who are eating or planning to eat armadillos, DON'T!!! Can't understand why anyone would want to eat one; but there are actual confirmed links between armadillos and leprosy here in the USA:

Armadillo Leprosy

Stick with muskrats, whistle pigs, possums and the like just like we do here in South Jersey
wink.gif
</div></div>

and friends don't let friends eat squirrel brains:

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/29/us/ken...els-brains.html

On the cooking channel the fat guy err... portly bald guy ate one down in mexico. The prep looked like waaaay too much trouble. IIRC, he didn't enjoy it all that much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The article didn't exactly state how AIDS was transmitted from a chimp.

Is life so complicated that people can't figure out on their own that banging monkeys or eating armadillos probably aren't the greatest ideas in the world? Really? Someone had to tell you not to do that? </div></div>

Nothing to do with sex, "cruiser."

Locals in parts of subsaharan Africa (and elsewhere) LOVE their "bushmeat." This can be any kind of meat. Often simian (ape, chimp, green monkeys). The thinking is (this is from several journal articles I've read as well as a decent discovery channel program on new and emerging diseases), when hunters go out in the bush they get scratched up pretty good. chimps carrying earlier versions of HIV (types I and II) bled all over the hunters, and the virus was spread like that into their wounds. Mutations occurred which produced HIV (formerly known as HTLV-3 in the early 80's) which has mutated further to an easily transmissible version.

Now you know. </div></div>

That is interesting, I vaguely remember "family planning" class in the mid 90's and it always seemed like the teachers explained AIDS was sexually transmitted from the chimps. I hope this has been proven wrong. Thanks for the insight.

Actually this isn't "new" news, it has been known for a long time that armadillos are a natural host for the mycobacterium that causes leprosy, with most cases of human transmission actually having been noted in S. Texas.

On the above question, yes there are theories regarding the initial "appearance" or origination of human HIV from chimps and consumption is implicated. Currently, regarding the HTLV from monkeys that is equivalent to human HIV, it is actually the monkeys intentionally inoculated with this virus in labs across the US in attempt to create vaccines and other anti-retroviral medicines and prophylactic remedies that now pose a threat if accidentally released/escape, as a bite from these monkeys WILL infect humans. There was a recent case of accidental escape of some infected monkeys, I believe it was in North Carolina, where a worker trying to capture them was bit by an infected chimp, but fortunately tested negative.

I have brought up the topic multiple times here about "monkeypox" and prairie dogs, the bottom line being do NOT handle them without gloves after you kill them. Initial case reports of transmission of monkey-pox to humans via prairies dogs was reported in Wisconsin, but then confirmed in numerous other states.

Finally, since we are on the topic of other "animal borne" diseases I'll share a somewhat scary thought: remember the "mad cow" and prion controversy a few years back? For you hunters, ever see an animal just not walking right as though it was drunk? Well, it turns out, more of us may actual be infected with prions than we realize, most likely from ingested contaminated meats. Fortunately there is some part of our immune system that combats any clinical effect of the prions in humans unless that part of our immune system that keeps prions at bay is compromised, as is the case with certain medications called "Biologics". Prions are what causes "mad cow" disease as well as human versions known as Jakob-Cruetzfeldt (or now Cruetzfeldt-Jakob) disease which came from certain New Guinea traditions of eating brains of loved-ones upon death, but are also the cause of a condition called progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML). PML is a prion-associated nasty and horrific cause of death that has now appeared in small percent of individuals using these "Biologics" that are meant to inhibit one specific part of the immune system to slow an immune-related disease process. Most recent cases of PML have been caused by either Tysabri (used to treat multiple sclerosis) or Raptiva (used to treat psoriatic arthritis, but taken off the market when numerous cases of PML popped up). Its appearance coinciding with the use of these medications that were supposed to create a selective inhibition of one part of our immune system now infers many of us actually ARE already infected with prions, but our immune systems keeps the prions and any disease they may cause at bay until "released" by the use of these medications intended to block a specific part of the immune system. Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose "prion" infection is through brain biopsy, typically done at autopsy. So, bottom line, if you do kill one of these animals that "aren't walking right" to "cull the herd", do not allow them to be eaten by humans or domestic animals.

You want to REALLY get yourself wrapped around the axle, look for a book title, "The myth of heterosexual AIDS." Published by Michael Fumento around 1994.

THEN go online to CDC.gov and look into the connection between CA-MRSA (Community-Acquired Methicillin-Resistant Staph Aureus) and "men who have sex with men."

You'll want to start shooting public health officials for not warning us sooner about the risks and associations.

I don't EVER go to or advocate anyone go to a health club or gym.

you just have to boil them alive

UKDslayer, I help my wife research a paper on "Mad Cow Disease". It was reported to be very similar to J-C disease and both are a form of spongiform encephalophy. What really got my attention was how easily it was spread, and through how many vectors. Since the whole carcass of a cow was used after butchering for things like cattle meal and fertilizer it was easy to see how it could spread to other cattle. What was scary was the possibility that the fertilizer could, possibly, cause it to spread through vegetables. That was speculation.

One other thing I remember from that book- the incubation period for it was around 10 years. We did the paper back in the late '90s, which could theoretically mean seeing outbreaks around now.

Jim

Now I'll never find a use for that bottle of Dillo Dust! Somebody better break this to the folks at LaRue.

Here is my theory - after hunting animals for 1,000s of years they are hunting us back with deadly effect through all the weapons at their disposal including bacteria, viruses, etc.. Your days are numbered my friends - 'Twelve Monkeys' lives !!!

I usually just shoot the nasty things with whatever gun I have on me at the time, and let them lay there. No reason to mess with them. You should see what a 7mm STW does to a dillo at 30 yards!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually just shoot the nasty things with whatever gun I have on me at the time, and let them lay there. No reason to mess with them. You should see what a 7mm STW does to a dillo at 30 yards! </div></div>

30 yards? Did you dial it in or just holdover?

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually just shoot the nasty things with whatever gun I have on me at the time, and let them lay there. No reason to mess with them. You should see what a 7mm STW does to a dillo at 30 yards! </div></div>

30 yards? Did you dial it in or just holdover?

Jim</div></div>

Nice shooting-related reply! How many people know their DOPE at 30 yd, 15 yds...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually just shoot the nasty things with whatever gun I have on me at the time, and let them lay there. No reason to mess with them. You should see what a 7mm STW does to a dillo at 30 yards! </div></div>

I love my 7mm STW, it takes a lot of the homework out of shooting until you stretch it out pretty far. Never tried it on a 30 yd dillo but I did rip a small tree from the earth and beat one of the lil bastards to death one drunk night in college. He showed his beard to the ladies and scared the shit out of them... I had no choice hahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually just shoot the nasty things with whatever gun I have on me at the time, and let them lay there. No reason to mess with them. You should see what a 7mm STW does to a dillo at 30 yards! </div></div>

I love my 7mm STW, it takes a lot of the homework out of shooting until you stretch it out pretty far. Never tried it on a 30 yd dillo but I did rip a small tree from the earth and beat one of the lil bastards to death one drunk night in college. He showed his beard to the ladies and scared the shit out of them... I had no choice hahaha</div></div>

Depending on your zero, it also takes homework to find out your elevation shooting close...

Yeah I'd have to look at my chart haha, all I know are the 100yd+ numbers.

100=+2.1"

150=+3.2"

300=0

400=-7"

450=-12"

500=-19"

I'll be sure to study up before I go dillo hunting though

If your zero is at 300 yds., then your 100 yd. shouldn't be less than your 150 yd...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your zero is at 300 yds., then your 100 yd. shouldn't be less than your 150 yd... </div></div>

I always thought that roughly half the distance of your zero is where your bullet is at its highest POI but I'm far from an expert

Remember the angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the square of the hair minus the mass of the ass.

'Dillos are tricky little devils.

Jim

During the depression they were called "Hoover Hogs"...so much for a chicken in every pot

Better send an email to larue so they wont charge oh I mean send you some dillo dust!

Here's a recipe for ya:

Smoked Armadillo Chops

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
4 slices Bbacon, thick cut in 1/2" pieces
2 medium Onions halved lengthwise,
and thinly sliced
2 Garlic cloves minced
8 Juniper berries bruised
3 cups Rinsed, drained sauerkraut
1 large Red apple peeled, quartered,
cored and grated
1 Baking potato peeled, grated
1 cup Dry white wine
3/4 cup Apple cider or juice
1/2 cup Chicken broth or water
4 Smoked armadillo chops
(10 ounces each, 1-inch thick)
8 small New potatoes
1 teaspoon Minced fresh parsley
Coarse-grained mustard
Salt to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper to taste

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add bacon and
cook until crisp and golden-brown. Transfer bacon to paper
towels. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot. Add
onions and cook over medium heat until translucent, stirring
occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and juniper berries
and stir 2 minutes. Mix in sauerkraut, apple and grated
potato. Add wine, cider and enough broth just to cover
sauerkraut. Bring mixture to boil, stirring frequently. Add
garni. Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring mixture occasionally.

If sauerkraut is too liquid, uncover and stir over medium-
high heat to reduce. Remove garni. Season sauerkraut with
salt and pepper. Mix in bacon. (Can be prepared one day
ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Preheat over to 350 degrees.

Spoon 2/3 of sauerkraut into shallow baking dish just large
enough to accommodate armadillo chops and new potatoes in
single layer. Arrange armadillo over sauerkraut. Spoon
remaining sauerkraut over. Cover tightly with foil. (Can be
prepared 6 hours ahead; chill. Bring to room temperature
before baking.) Bake until heated through, 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, peel narrow band from center of each new potato.
Place potatoes in large saucepan. Cover with cold salted water
and bring to boil. Cover and boil until potatoes are just
tender, 15 to 20 minutes; drain.

Tuck potatoes into sauerkraut. Cover and bake 10 more
minutes. Divide sauerkraut, armadillo and potatoes among
heated plates. Sprinkle potatoes with parsley. Serve with
mustard.

Source: http://ushotstuff.com/wg/ArmadilloSmp.htm

That recipe is missing the part where it says "announce to all your buddies that you were just kidding, then toss the dillo in the dumpster and replace with pot roast"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That recipe is missing the part where it says "announce to all your buddies that you were just kidding, then toss the dillo in the dumpster and replace with pot roast" </div></div>

I saw this thread and couldn't believe anyone would eat armadillos, so I look up how to cook armadillos and that's what I found. Now squirrel is a different story, pass the hot sauce.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> why the f would someone eat a armadillo... nasty </div></div>

I had a few when I was stationed deep in the countryside of South America, it was the local thing to eat. Cleaned, boiled, seasoned and then grilled over a fire, allowed to cool, and then eaten. It actually was pretty good, tasted like dark chicken or turkey.