• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Dont have a chrony!!??

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I am shooting sierra matchking 168gr over 45gr of varget with win primers and winchester brass. What FPS am i looking at with remington 700 26in barrel? Is anyone going any hotter than this??

Re: Dont have a chrony!!??

Record your environmental conditions and your real world dope at multiple distances as far as your range will allow. Plug the above information into a ballistic calculator with the G7 ballistic coef. of your bullet and you can estimate your FPS based on drop.

Very rough est. Hodgdons has a 168 over 46 of varget at 2731 fps 46/2731= 45/x = 2671 + 20 fps/inch (compared to 24" bbl) = approx 2691 fps

+1 XTR , test your ammo threw a chrony , im sure someone at your local range will let you

forget guessing , to many variables

You need a Chronographer or access to one if you are going to reload. too many varibles ... dont know what you are using to weigh each load. The only way to determine your velocity and consistancy of load is to run it through a chronographer...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need a <span style="font-weight: bold">Chronographer</span> or access to one if you are going to reload. too many varibles ... dont know what you are using to weigh each load. The only way to determine your velocity and consistancy of load is to run it through a <span style="font-weight: bold">chronographer</span>...

</div></div>

Yes - this guy is quite helpful with reloading, considering he lived prior to the invention of gunpowder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demetrius_the_Chronographer

This winter I bought a chronograph, now that I've been reloading for 3 or 4 years. I can't count how many times I've been told I NEEDED a chronograph.

Now that I have one and have been using it, I don't think I really need it. Barrel harmonics have more to do with accuracy than muzzle velocity. Sure, you can run ladders and OCW's to tune your barrel harmonics, then final tweak a load using the chrony. I've actually found my chronograph to cause more questions. For example: Why does the load that shows BETTER ES and SD not group as well as the one that has DOUBLE the ES/SD?

My estimated MV based on plugging/chugging with MV guesses, calculated dopes, and then tweaking the MV input to get my actual come-up at various ranges was within 10fps of what my chronograph gave me.

I'm sure people are going to flame the hell out of me for saying it, but unless you really wanna spend some cash on your hobby, I think the couple hundred bucks is better spent on optics, range time or components.

I'd guess you're at 2700ish... Maybe a bit more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For example: Why does the load that shows BETTER ES and SD not group as well as the one that has DOUBLE the ES/SD?

My estimated MV based on plugging/chugging with MV guesses, calculated dopes, and then tweaking the MV input to get my actual come-up at various ranges was within 10fps of what my chronograph gave me.

I think the couple hundred bucks is better spent on optics, range time or components.
</div></div>
your ES/SD grouping issue might be related to your bullets not exiting at an OBT , i think that is somewhere on chris longs page ?

guessing muzzle velocities can work sometimes but you can be wrong. To many variables, but i agree if you guess you'd be in the ballpark.

I really don't use a chrono. I have an idea of what velocity I'm shooting I then enter it in to my ballastic program and shoot it a 600yd. I adjust my MOA til I'm centerd at 600. Then I adjust my velocity on my ballastic program til I match my really world MOA used. Then it's good from there on. Atleast to 1130, that as far as i've went with it.

What if your new lot of powder (same kind h4350- example) is hotter or colder for a given grain amount, and you are tring to duplicate a load that had good vertical. The chrono could help you find it by velocity for the new grain amount quickly. Also if you were going from virgin brass to once fired the capacity will change. These are just a few examples of how they can help.
I am using a oehler 35p and have found it to be very useful. One more thing to note, I also use a ballistic calculator and even with the velocity it takes fine tuning to be within .2 of a mil.
To the op, try one and see what you think.
good luck
Rthur

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need a <span style="font-weight: bold">Chronographer</span> or access to one if you are going to reload. too many varibles ... dont know what you are using to weigh each load. The only way to determine your velocity and consistancy of load is to run it through a <span style="font-weight: bold">chronographer</span>...

</div></div>

Yes - this guy is quite helpful with reloading, considering he lived prior to the invention of gunpowder.

LMAO---nice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demetrius_the_Chronographer</div></div>

+1
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DO THEY MAKE BEER FLAVORED POPCORN ? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This winter I bought a chronograph, now that I've been reloading for 3 or 4 years. I can't count how many times I've been told I NEEDED a chronograph.

Now that I have one and have been using it, I don't think I really need it. Barrel harmonics have more to do with accuracy than muzzle velocity. Sure, you can run ladders and OCW's to tune your barrel harmonics, then final tweak a load using the chrony. I've actually found my chronograph to cause more questions. For example: Why does the load that shows BETTER ES and SD not group as well as the one that has DOUBLE the ES/SD?

I'm sure people are going to flame the hell out of me for saying it, but unless you really wanna spend some cash on your hobby, I think the couple hundred bucks is better spent on optics, range time or components.

I'd guess you're at 2700ish... Maybe a bit more. </div></div>

Agree with the above. I bought a CED M2 early on to help with load development. I've since gone away from using it WHILE running load tests at the range. Often, my most accurate loads were NOT the ones with the best ES/SD. I let the rifle tell me the most accurate load. After I settle on a load, then go back and chrono THAT load so I can have accurate MVs for my ballistic calculator so I can shoot at UKDs.

I think a chrono is still handy and important, but I think it's not an absolute to find the most accurate load. I also find it's distracting at the range when I'm trying to shoot precise groups and find myself worrying about the numbers between each shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This winter I bought a chronograph, now that I've been reloading for 3 or 4 years. I can't count how many times I've been told I NEEDED a chronograph.

I'd guess you're at 2700ish... Maybe a bit more.</div></div>

I don't know what to say other than I hope you're receiving benefits for your disability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This winter I bought a chronograph, now that I've been reloading for 3 or 4 years. I can't count how many times I've been told I NEEDED a chronograph.

I'd guess you're at 2700ish... Maybe a bit more.</div></div>

I don't know what to say other than I hope you're receiving benefits for your disability. </div></div>

Not sure about your facts ... its been great knowing you --- +1 on disability benefits...