• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Dope Cards and Wind Drift

TM1107

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2019
Lutz, FL
Hey everyone, I’m the new guy. Just started getting into this whole style of shooting and had a question. I was hoping to put together a few quick and basic dope cards just as a back up. I’m currently using the Hornady App as my ballistic solver and noticed that the wind direction changes my elevation. For example, at 400 yards with a 3’ o clock 10 mph wind I have 5.84 MOA in elevation and a 1.92 windage hold. Same scenario with wind from the 9’ o clock and I have 7.57 MOA in elevation and 2.44 windage hold. Is this normal? If it is, which wind direction should I use for making my dope cards? Thanks I’m advance. I look forward to learning more about this sport.

Hey man welcome to the hide, I see no one has answered so I'll give it a shot, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along and chime in.
I would think the discrepancy you asked about deals with areodynamic jump, and spin drift, I have gotten the same results with Hornady 4 dof
Try taking the spin drift out and see what you get.
As for making dope cards you could just average the 2 different numbers that should be close enough

Have you actually verified this?

I have about .2mils right spin drift at 850yds...this is verified...so if I have a left to right wind I add the extra for what ever yardages I’m shooting if right to left I minus the spin drift at the yardages I’m shooting but my elevation is the same if wind is from 3 or 9

Last edited:
I split the difference and use that as dope taped to rifle. The wind not only move bullets left and right but up and down.

Easiest to have data in chart form to do this. In 4dof lower right tap the grid choose output distance increments from that you can either print or just write data and tape it down.

No unfortunately I haven’t been able to get out and verify it yet. How do you take out spin drift and aerodynamic jump on the app? Or is it something you have to manually subtract from your numbers?