• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

DOPE out to a mile?

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
I tried using The Hornady website to run numbers and my Ballistic app.They seem off. Can you run them on your app and let me check my DOPE sheets. I shot my first mile with 300WM, want to check it out with 6.5CM and see how I can do next Sunday.Here are some specs

Factory Hornady ELD match 140 and 147's ammo. To keep it simple.

Elevation 1250
Temp 50
dont care about wind so much
Humidity 25%
Presssure 29.53
1.5 inch overbore

140's shoot 2689fps
147 shoot 2669 fps ( kinda guessing on this one)

My numbers came in at 23.2 mils for 147's and 23.1mils for 140's

What gives my Brothers. I friend ran my 300WM numbers and it was dead on at 17.4 mils.

Any help greatly appreciated.

PB

your MV is friggin low,

of course, you will need a lot of elevation

Its factory ammo, I cant make it any faster. 24 inch barrel.

Thanks guys, those are the numbers I came up with.

We shot handholds with the 300WM that were 230 tips at 2836fps. But we have not had great success loading 6.5 which has us puzzled. Im sure we will get it, just going to be a minute.

PB

The projectiles went subsonic hundred yards before impact. Isn't common for high BC projectiles to misbehave when subsonic?

The projectiles went subsonic hundred yards before impact. Isn't common for high BC projectiles to misbehave when subsonic?

That is information that is often propagated on internet forums but the truth of the matter is that very few actually try it.

I've shot my 6.5 Creedmoor out to 1700+ before with success using 4DOF with 147's. I'm pretty sure they went subsonic somewhere in there. While accuracy continually degrades with range I did not notice anything that I would consider wonky. 30 fps at the muzzle accounts for several feet worth of elevation at that distance, and the wind has several seconds to wreak havoc, so groups... patterns are larger than we're used to dealing with at a quarter or half the distance, but you can still lob them in.

Same goes for .308. I've seen people peg plates just shy of 2000yd with a .308. Not the best caliber for it, but it's also not like the bullets disappear when they go below 1300fps.

It can certainly happen but it hasn’t been a problem for me.

I thinkit’s a lot rarer than many think.

I wouldn't be comparing that particular WM to your CM. Its like comparing an apple to a cantaloupe. If you look at the drop in 50 yard increments your CM goes transonic at 1100 yards and subsonic at 1300 yards. Your friends WM goes transonic at 1650 yards and subsonic at ~2050 yards. The 230gr ATIP has a significantly better G1 (.81 vs .64) and is going 200fps faster.

Yea, I don’t compare my beloved WM to CM. I love my WM and I’m just warming up to CM by comparison. The only bullets I’ve seen really spray all over the hill when transitioning is 168 308 ammo at 1,300 yards. So many other rounds I’ve missed but not a 20 yard perimeter around my target like those 308’s.

Even though I have a DD Delta 5 that stabilizes 168’s to 1,300 with amazing accuracy.

Every gun, every cartridge has its own love / hate affair.

PB