• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

doughnut question

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
So, i understand what a doughnut is and what can/does cause them, but i do have a question. If you produce a doughnut, can it be removed by the expander ball on the die? Or if you ream it out say a 243 win for example would you just use a .243" chucking reamer and run it into the neck to "remove" the doughnut? May be a stupid question but i am just trying to clear things up, or just maybe learn something!!

Too many reloaders become discombubulated about the "dreaded donut" when they don't need to be. If the bearing surface of your bullet doesn't even touch the donut, who cares?

If you want to remove a donut, either use an expander plug to push it to the outside and outside turn your necks back to the shoulder, or use a bushing to push it to the inside (where it belongs) and use a reamer to remove it.

Most benchrest shooters use a chucking reamer the bullet size or .001" smaller. Keep oil on the flutes and flush the case when you're finished. MSC used to be the cheapest around on reamers.

Too many reloaders become discombubulated about the "dreaded donut" when they don't need to be. If the bearing surface of your bullet doesn't even touch the donut, who cares?

If you want to remove a donut, either use an expander plug to push it to the outside and outside turn your necks back to the shoulder, or use a bushing to push it to the inside (where it belongs) and use a reamer to remove it.

Problem is many long range bullets in many short action magazine fed rifles DO have the bullet seated below the NSJ.

Best method I'm aware of to remove donuts is attacking from both flanks:

K&M neck turner with the carbide cutting pilot.

Attack both inside and outside. If you ream only, the case neck will deflect outwards a bit and you'll miss some of the donut.