• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Douglas or Criterion from Compass Lake?

wareagle700

Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
SE Georgia
I'm about to get a barrel from CLE but not sure which one. Douglas or Criterion? Also whats the difference between the .223 Wylde and the CLE Match chamber?

This barrel will be used for launching 77gr pills at steel and paper along with hunting.

Thanks!

I would go Douglass over criterion. I have a krieger that cle did that's excellent. The match chamber is a little tighter than a wylde i believe. I think the description is on their site. Get a matched bolt while you're at it.

I was breaking in my CLE varmint upper today. I prefer Douglas with the tighter CLE chamber. I have two rifles with the CLE chamber. With 77 smk's they are touching the lands at an OAL of 2.255. I could be wrong, but if you want to shoot 80's or 90's go with the Wylde chamber.

OP,
A few years back, I asked Frank White at CLE to turn an 18" full heavy/fluted 1x7.7 SS barrel to get the most out of the 77gr. SMK OTM based BHA MK 262 MOD 1 factory loading or similar 5.56MM NATO pressure 77gr. SMK handload. At that time, he said a rifle length gas system 18" Krieger barrel with CLE 5.56MM Match chamber should work well for my purposes. It did. And it also shoots the over-mag-length 80gr. VLD over 5.56MM NATO pressure TAC load very well especially in the wind. Mag length 77gr. SMK over 5.56MM NATO pressure TAC load will shoot just as well in trigger pull conditions but the over-mag-length 80gr. VLD load has a huge advantage in the wind. I need to work up some 80gr. VLD over 5.56MM NATO pressure IMR 8208 loads to take advantage of the much increased propellant thermal stability but just have not yet had the time. Get Frank's input.

Over-mag-length 80gr. VLD over 5.56MM pressure TAC at 2.390" COAL

Last edited:
Thanks, I was leaning towards the Douglas anyway based on another barrel I have from them. I think the CLE chamber will fit my needs just fine.

OP,
A few years back, I asked Frank White at CLE to turn an 18" full heavy/fluted 1x7.7 SS barrel to get the most out of the 77gr. SMK OTM based BHA MK 262 MOD 1 factory loading or similar 5.56MM NATO pressure 77gr. SMK handload. At that time, he said a rifle length gas system 18" Krieger barrel with CLE 5.56MM Match chamber should work well for my purposes. It did. And it also shoots the over-mag-length 80gr. VLD over 5.56MM NATO pressure TAC load very well especially in the wind. Mag length 77gr. SMK over 5.56MM NATO pressure TAC load will shoot just as well in trigger pull conditions but the over-mag-length 80gr. VLD load has a huge advantage in the wind. I need to work up some 80gr. VLD over 5.56MM NATO pressure IMR 8208 loads to take advantage of the much increased propellant thermal stability but just have not yet had the time. Get Frank's input.

What kind of group is that for? Unless I'm missing it, I've seen far more accurate AR's.

OP,

Leid,

My apologies. That is an excellent group at 750 yds. Glad your rifle is so accurate. Nice shootin' by yourself on that group too.

Reactions: Rxgrt
No worries. I was hoping you got your hands on an exceptional "hummer" barrel. I have seen a few 5.56MM hummers: 20" Krieger, a 24" Krieger, and a DOD 18" Douglas SPR. They do exist. I have a 14.5" 1x7 SOCOM Colt barrel with a very long throat which pretty much qualifies as a hummer but only with the 5.56MM NATO pressure 70gr. TSX load. The throat is so long from use/abuse, it shoots shotgun patterns with my most accurate 77gr. SMK loads.

24X BR scope mounted for accuracy test as carbine normally wears an Eotech. M4 can was installed. I think accuracy with the long 70gr. TSX bullet is possibly due to long barrel throat.

OP,
Here is food for thought/data on a just few of the interesting 0.224" bullets used for terminal performance & LR accuracy. M856 tracer shown for bullet length reference only:

Last edited: