• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Dove season

Opens Sept 1st, i tried to get my license today but a hour wait at wally world, so i just went and shot instead.

Anyone have any good ways to serve dove? Let's hear 'em. I love hunting dove, but man I hate the gamey taste.

soak them in milk for a little while, it helps to get the wild taste out then battered and fried .... nuff said ..... of course the alternative is jalapeno and wrap it in bacon.

Dove breast with a slice of jalapeno and waterchestnut wrapped in bacon and smoked with applewood. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: khronoscide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dove breast with a slice of jalapeno and waterchestnut wrapped in bacon and smoked with applewood. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm </div></div>

+1 I like to add a small piece of provolone to it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: khronoscide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dove breast with a slice of jalapeno and waterchestnut wrapped in bacon and smoked with applewood. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm </div></div>

done!!! nuff said. you may lock this thread.

I'll wait until opening day to get a tag. If the weather holds it could be a good season. If we get a cold snap the birds will be gone within 48 hours. The past couple years we've been batting about 50%. Last year gave us about 2 and a half weeks of good birds. The year before had a frost 2 days before season, and very few birds were even seen.

Theres one thats been pooping on my new car for about a week now. He has a few days to move on before I punch his damn ticket!

And dove breast with a slice of Jalepeno wrapped in bacon and thrown on the grill.......

I'm ready now!

I filet the meat of the breast bone and then use jalapeno,salt and pepper, wrap in bacon and grill over charcoal, med heat. Make a puppy pull a freight train.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see 'em on the lines but the migrators aren't here yet. </div></div>

You said it! I'm hoping this year is better than the last two.......

Ok,
Just got back from the field and killed 5. Just not nearly as many birds as last year. But, I consider this my most succesful hunt as my 5 year old son killed his first bird. We were hunting in a stand of trees in an open field when a worn out bird that had been shot at and missed by every gun on the field took refuge in a tree nearby. I allowed my son to load his cut down New England single shot .410 and shoot the bird out of the tree. He nearly came out of his skin jumping around and yelling. I'm sure I made quite the spectacle out of myself as well. He went around high fiving every hunter on the field. Proud day for me, I tell you.
Last year at the age of 4 he killed his first squirrel with his .410. He still gets bored quickly and wants to play, but I'm tickled he still wants to hunting with his Dad. I hope that never changes.

TN

I will never forget taking my first dove with my dad. The whole field stopped shooting as I snuck up to one on a power line. I shot it with my trusty red ryder BB gun. Everyone erupted in cheers for me. Something I will never forget. Your son will never forget it as well Tennessean.

Friday I get to go test my luck on those shifty little buggers. I hope I didn't forget how to hit them.

Yesterday was one of the best dove day's that I can remember. Buddy plowed a field 3 days ago. We both limited out. But before we got the last few we sat through a 45 min downpour, we were soaked.

I was suprised because we hadn't seen many dove around after the last cold front pushed through. I think its going to take another 1-2 cold fronts to really start pushing good numbers of birds down this way and to TX.

Well, I'm ready for them! Went out to Leonard yesterday morning, shot 13. It's that magical number 15 I'm looking for.
laugh.gif

All in all they WHERE flying excellent yesterday morning, but this morning... not so much. We'll have to go out tonight to re-evaluate the field and see if we have better options. Only problem is there aren't all that many tanks on the place. They all seem to be just across the road...

Happy dove season,
SS

Limited out last night in Norcal. Pretty hot shooting - a lot of birds flyin' around

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tennessean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok,
Just got back from the field and killed 5. Just not nearly as many birds as last year. But, I consider this my most succesful hunt as my 5 year old son killed his first bird. We were hunting in a stand of trees in an open field when a worn out bird that had been shot at and missed by every gun on the field took refuge in a tree nearby. I allowed my son to load his cut down New England single shot .410 and shoot the bird out of the tree. He nearly came out of his skin jumping around and yelling. I'm sure I made quite the spectacle out of myself as well. He went around high fiving every hunter on the field. Proud day for me, I tell you.
Last year at the age of 4 he killed his first squirrel with his .410. He still gets bored quickly and wants to play, but I'm tickled he still wants to hunting with his Dad. I hope that never changes.

TN </div></div>

Excellent. Looking forward to having a little hunting buddy soon. Mine is 17 months and growin' up quick. Thanks for sharing.

nice. I still remember my first dove. Shot with a new england .410 as well.

Dad shot at it 3 times and missed and I knocked her down with one shot out of that beat up old gun.

Hopefully gonna get out next monday.

Been sucking BIG TIME here since the opener. It's like the local birds just up and left. Hunted 5 different properties that are consistently good, and it ust sucked. 6 Birds taken by 4 hunters - no one missed a shot that was all we freakin saw!

Probably those damn wolves migrating from up North or chupacabra.
laugh.gif

We have a lot of birds this year. Steady shooting the whole time today and Saturday. Some years are better than others and this one has been great. My daughter killed her first 2 and my youngest "finished off" at least 10-15 with his BB gun! One of my most cherished ongoing memories are the dove hunts Southern style and it is fun coming full circle and seeing the kids do it.

Start of by soaking the dove in water with some salt to draw out blood and stabilize flavor. Should let soak at lease 12 hours

Recipe is per 10 dove:

10slices bacon
3-5 jalapeno
2tbsp Butter
1tsp minced garlic
1tsp black pepper
1tsp garlic salt
1tsp salt

Take the butter and melt it, then stir in all seasonings. Drizzle over the dove breasts and let marinade at least 4 hours, but the longer the better. after marinading (the butter will re harden over breasts) slice up the jalapeno and wrap the jalapeno and bacon around the breasts and use a toothpick or wood skewer to secure it. BBQ until the bacon is done, and you have a very solid dove meal that ANYONE will ejoy!

Oh and BTW i have limited every morning since the 1st. I go befor work, it has been great! HOPE EVERYONE HAS DONE WELL!

Browning Citori FeatherXS in a 3 year old Almond orchard surrounded by grapes.
qrerrs.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have a lot of birds this year. Steady shooting the whole time today and Saturday. Some years are better than others and this one has been great. My daughter killed her first 2 and my youngest "finished off" at least 10-15 with his BB gun! One of my most cherished ongoing memories are the dove hunts Southern style and it is fun coming full circle and seeing the kids do it.</div></div>

We always attend a good friend's hunt. He and his father have been hosting it for several years now. It is done in true southern style with a grill out lunch and fellowship about an hour before noon (opening day shooting time) with the hosts checking on hunters throughout the day. It's a true family affair and I bring my wife and kids as there are plenty of other kids and kid's activities. Believe it or not, the host conducts a safety brief regarding gunhandling and low birds prior to shooting time. It's always a pleasure to attend and the family loves it.

Here's a picture from August when season opened here in Finland:

_DSC0303zx.jpg

Actually most of them were shot with 22LR but the shotgun was nearby for the pose (capacity limited to 2rd mag per local law, I just didn't find the mag cap so I had to use the extension tube and some imagination...)

Doves with a 22LR? Guess they were not flying, huh? You can use a rifle but no more than 3 shells in the shotty, funky laws across the pond! Big ass doves over there too!

You can use rifle for any game, but there's certain limitations on kinetic energy. And of course safety considerations.

Subsonic 22LR is just enough for dove and some other small game. I used my silenced Annie trainer (old turnbolt biathlon rifle) w/ Falcon 4-14x, longest shots were 84m/92y. Ammo was Eley SS HP, ranging w/ Leica LRF 1200.