• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Down to three rifles as a first BA rifle

Gsx6bolt

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2020
Hello all,

Lately I been getting intrigued in getting into long range precision shooting. I've done some reading and have been doing some 100 to 300 yards precision shooting with my AR15. My main purpose is going to be groupings and maybe down the line try a competition for fun. I have come down to three choices after doing my research on what I'm looking for in a rifle. They are:
  • Savage 110 Elite Precision
  • Tikka T3X Tac A1
  • Masterpiece Arms BA PMR Pro Comp
I learned I have limited choices because I'm a lefty shooter and I would prefer to rack the bolt with my left hand while keeping my right hand on the rear bag.
The Tikka t3x tact a1 from all the reviews I've watched and read, points to be great shooter right out of the box. The Savage 110 Elite Precision, I like the MDT chassis and the fact the action to barrel is factory blue printed but read extraction is a general problem with Savage. The Masterpiece Arm Pro Comp, from reading all the specs on it, choice of trigger and seems to come with a lot of bells and whistles. I think I would feel like my money is being well spent on the Masterpiece Arms but I'm looking for opinions, experiences and advice.

The caliber will be in 6.5 CM. I already own a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x FFP, so I'll be using that glass in the beginning then upgrade to either Leupold Mark 5 HD 5-25x or the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x (hoping the Gen III when its released is 3-30x magnification).

Thanks

Hello all,

Lately I been getting intrigued in getting into long range precision shooting. I've done some reading and have been doing some 100 to 300 yards precision shooting with my AR15. My main purpose is going to be groupings and maybe down the line try a competition for fun. I have come down to three choices after doing my research on what I'm looking for in a rifle. They are:
  • Tikka T3X Tac A1
I learned I have limited choices because I'm a lefty shooter and I would prefer to rack the bolt with my left hand while keeping my right hand on the rear bag.
The Tikka t3x tact a1 from all the reviews I've watched and read, points to be great shooter right out of the box. The Savage 110 Elite Precision, I like the MDT chassis and the fact the action to barrel is factory blue printed but read extraction is a general problem with Savage. The Masterpiece Arm Pro Comp, from reading all the specs on it, choice of trigger and seems to come with a lot of bells and whistles. I think I would feel like my money is being well spent on the Masterpiece Arms but I'm looking for opinions, experiences and advice.

The caliber will be in 6.5 CM. I already own a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x FFP, so I'll be using that glass in the beginning then upgrade to either Leupold Mark 5 HD 5-25x or the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x (hoping the Gen III when its released is 3-30x magnification).

Thanks
Flip that list upside down and you have your order of preference.
I would remove the Savage and instead add the Howa Chassis Rifle.

Reactions: frank320
Hello all,

• Tikka T3X Tac A1

Thanks

I would 100% recommend going with the BA Pro Comp from that list. I just got an MPA quite similar to that, and once I had everything set up, it's one of the most comfortable stocks/chassis I've been behind. It's already in a semi-custom Curtis action, which from my limited experience feels pretty great. It has a short bolt throw, too, if you're into that. The Triggertech Special feels pretty amazing to boot.

You would be well-equipped to do any form of competition or precision shooting in that action - if you find you don't like the MPA chassis and want to try something different, you can sell it pretty easily on the PX here.

Good luck with your selection!

I don't see AI on your list, I'm pretty sure they do south paw.
Just sayin , but then I'm a north paw.:unsure:

There’s your answer right there.

There’s your answer right there.

I looked into Howa as well and they do not list anything for lefties. I read good things about Howa. +2 for MPA

I would 100% recommend going with the BA Pro Comp from that list. I just got an MPA quite similar to that, and once I had everything set up, it's one of the most comfortable stocks/chassis I've been behind. It's already in a semi-custom Curtis action, which from my limited experience feels pretty great. It has a short bolt throw, too, if you're into that. The Triggertech Special feels pretty amazing to boot.

You would be well-equipped to do any form of competition or precision shooting in that action - if you find you don't like the MPA chassis and want to try something different, you can sell it pretty easily on the PX here.

Good luck with your selection!

Thanks. I've heard the Mpa chassis being comfortable. I wouldn't know if I would like a short bolt throw, I have shot a basic Remy 700 in the past but thought nothing of it. If I decide to go down this road, I will learn fast. +1 for MPA

I don't see AI on your list, I'm pretty sure they do south paw.
Just sayin , but then I'm a north paw.:unsure:

AI was one first companies I looked at just because of videogames lol but nothing there for me. Kind of bummed about it.

Nothing wrong with the MPA..............but.

I'd add this to the top of your list. Per Ted it will be available in Lefty. Comes with Trigger tech Diamond, great chassis, great action, & value per $ it wins IMO.

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/product/nucleus-gen-2-0-rifle-1200?category=26

1594875119476.png

If you want to go more affordable you might consider a tikka with the krg bravo. Otherwise nucleus, mpa, origin build, badrock or other similar ones are all going to be a good bet in that range.

Hello all,

• Tikka T3X Tac A1

Thanks
All 3 are good choices. I have shot a lot through my savage 12 in 6.5 creedmoor. I'm looking at a 6mm now as like a lot of other shooters want to see my hits downrange. The new bad rock rifle is one to look at along with Berger pro series. I have both the Leupold Mark 5 7-35×56 and the Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27×56. I have the vortex on my savage 12 FV AND it's only drawback is it's heavy. The Leupold Mark 5 HD 7-35×56 is on my custom Remington 700 in 6.5x47 Lapua. Both are in A5 Bell and Carlson stocks. I would go with the Leupold just due to weight. Good shopping and buy one more rifle ha ha.

MPA all the way, the rifle won’t leave anything on the table in regards to performance and if you ever want to move on from it, then I should be an easy sale.

I went to the range this weekend, saw a guy with a MPA BA rifle almost similar to what I'm looking for. After having about a 10 minute chat about the rifle and others. He handed me a magazine with 5 rounds of 6.5CM of his ammo he reloaded. I was just like wow. First the trigger caught me by surprise. I'm used to 3.5 lbs - 4.5 lbs triggers on most of my firearms. His was down to a pound or so. That's light. He knew the trigger caught me by surprised, so he handed me another round to top of the magazine, try to a 5 round group at a 100 yds and see how I liked it. I managed a little over a MOA, I need to work on my fundamentals. I immediately felt very comfortable behind the rifle. I'm definitely sold on it.