• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Down to two--Glock 21 or M&P 45

Re: Down to two--Glock 21 or M&P 45

After further research, I discovered that the M&P 45 is basically the same size as their standard .40 and 9mm. In other words MUCH smaller than the G21. While the G21 fits my mitts just fine, it's still pretty damn bulky------also a cream puff to shoot though. And even though I'm looking for a plastic .45 to carry outdoors, having a slimmer model wouldn't hurt my feelings any. If the M&P is really as slick as many folks say, it might end up bumping my 1911s for EDC.

I also wish I could forecast whether S&W plans to release a 5" Pro model .45. I'd definitely hold out for one of those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M40A1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After further research, I discovered that the M&P 45 is basically the same size as their standard .40 and 9mm. In other words MUCH smaller than the G21. While the G21 fits my mitts just fine, it's still pretty damn bulky------also a cream puff to shoot though. And even though I'm looking for a plastic .45 to carry outdoors, having a slimmer model wouldn't hurt my feelings any. If the M&P is really as slick as many folks say, it might end up bumping my 1911s for EDC.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I also wish I could forecast whether S&W plans to release a 5" Pro model .45. I'd definitely hold out for one of those. </span></div></div>

I heard the pro model is coming out in the fall. I'm waiting for the same thing.

I doubt there will be a Pro .45 that soon. The 9/40 caliber M&Ps are 4.25, while the .45 is 4.5" and uses a different slide. They'd have to come up with a whole new design for a Pro .45, and you'd think they would have made that public by now.

The standard 9/40 is 4.25", but the Pro is 5". I shouldn't be too tough to add 3/4" to the 4.5" .45. It may be wishful thinking, and the 4.5" .45 may be good enough, but a guy can wish right? BTW, even though I'm a hard core .45acp proponent, the 9Pro is starting to horn me up a little. The longer sight radius, good ergos, high cap mags, and mild recoil kinda make a guy stop and think. Still not a .45 by any means, but with the right ammo I could probably live on the difference. It'd make a fun game gun at the very least.

There is a .40 Pro now if you want that. Me personally, I'll carry anything that will penetrate 12" into flesh.

What that means is I carry a 9mm with 147s. I see no use for teh added expense of other calibers.

I carry a .40 at work for 15yrs. I still see the .40 as neither fish nor fowl. I realize it's MY problem, not the cartridges, but it's still smaller than the .45 while packing a lot more recoil than the 9mm. I may be splitting hairs to some extent because I can shoot all three just fine, but IMO the .45's lower pressure and larger diameter, heavier bullets trump whatever compromise the .40 is trying to make.

Anyway yes, I'm aware of the .40Pro, and may consider it at some point since my employer buys the ammo.

.40 actually recoils more than .45 in my experience. The only thing I use it for is USPSA limited, and then only because .400" is the minimum caliber for major power factor. As I stated earlier in this thread, I prefer 9mm. I'm a convert. My first handgun was a .45 when I thought it mattered. Now that I shoot 10k rounds+ a year, I recognize that the gun you practice with is the one you'll shoot well with when it counts.

Just my thoughts as usual.

I had a chance to buy a G21 at a great price but passed on it because it was HUGE when I shot it. I have smaller hands but with that being said I was still damn accurate with it, it just wasnt confortable to shoot if it would have been a SF I would have snatched it up in a heartbeat. I don't think that you can beat a glock.

I ended up selling the Glock 21 and 21SF after encountering and purchasing the M&P 45. I'm afraid to try the M&P 9 or 40 because I really do love my 17, 22, and 35. I've been a Glockophile for 21 years!

I love my M&P45!!! I'm thinking about buying the M&P9 to replace my Glock 17 and 19 I love those pistols so much