• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Downscaling milling/range estimation and dialing elevation

kedbeck

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2008
I've been tinkering with a little project for the last week. In my backyard I'm only able to shoot at 25/50 meters, but I would like to practice my milling/range estimation AND dialing my elevation for longer ranges.
So here's what I've come up with so far:

I bought different sizes of self-adhesive stickers. Representing different size steel plates.
I then printed a paper with a mil-scale on it, in .2 increments.
On the backside of the paper, at the zero line, I put a target sticker. I prepare the scale-side by putting an identical sticker on the 4 MIL line. (You would of course prepare these target before hand for use at a later time, so not to remember at what elevation the sticker is.)

In this case, the target is a 10 mm sticker, representing a 2" plate.
Milling the target I get .4 MILS, giving me a target distance of 125 meters.
I dial my elevation for that distance and take a shot at the target sticker.

If I've done both the milling and dialing correct, I should have hit the sticker on the scale-side when checking the target.

By either changing the size of the sticker, or changing the plate size it represents, I can vary my "shooting distance", while still shooting at 25 yds.

The thing I haven't figured out yet, is how to get direct hit/miss feedback when taking the shot. (Like you would shooting steel).
The obvious way would of course be to put both stickers on the same side. The problem with that though, it that you'd see/cheat if you dialed the correct elevation even before taking the shot.

Anyway... Don't know if this would be of interest to anyone, but thought I'd share. =)
20200310_140504.jpg
20200310_132100.jpg
20200310_140523.jpg
20200310_140549.jpg

Last edited:
This is cool! My thought to getting the "steel" feedback would be to hang a set of slightly larger plates (ideally something that is roughly the correct ratio to your target) a meter or so behind the "correct" elevation zones on the corresponding paper. In theory, even though your impact would be high, on your system, you would be able to mill, dial elevation, fire the shot, and then receive feedback for a "hit" on the milled target , based on the round impacting the concealed steel plate.

Does this make sense? I might need to sketch it out...

All you have to do is place stickers at a known mil off set.
So say you set a sticker at your zero and then 1 1 mil above. You dial 1 mil and impact should be spot on. I use this method for practicing stage hold offs.