• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS 308 Carbine Buffer Weight

The King

Back to the Range
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2004
    Florence, CO
    Does anyone know the exact weight of a DPMS carbine buffer for the LR308 AP4? I think some of my issues might be buffer weight is wrong on my 20" build with a carbine stock.

I'm getting 3.31oz on it, but it's the right length.

Re: DPMS 308 Carbine Buffer Weight

I haven't weighed one for a while, but I believe that they are 3.4oz.

If you are having issues with your AP4 cycling properly, get with Slash about one of his heavy buffers for the AP4.

http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

I run Slash's XH buffers in almost all of my 308 Carbine-stock equipped rifles (one, they really smooth out operation and two, they are a must for shooting a shorter-barreled 308 suppressed). You can go with the standard Slash 5.4oz buffer or the XH 6.5oz model depending on your needs.

i can weigh an ar15 carbine buffer if that would eliminate that possibility for you?

not sure how long this will last...

BufferTable.jpg

Okay - my weight is correct more or less. The gun wouldn't cycle if it were an AR15 buffer - too long.

I found the issue between now and then though. Gas hole out of spec.

i have the vltor tube on my carbine, runs ok now but i think i'm goin to a flat spring buffer spring see if that helps.

i'm just using a standard m4 buffer and spring right now

It would seem that this is a pretty big issue with the LR 308 especially in a carbine. Is there one sure fix? or is finding the buffer/ spring weight just part of the gig for this type of rifle?

I've got an 18" DPMS that's getting some work done when I get home, and this kind of thing gives me cold feet. Its an 18" bull now, its going to become a 16" mid lengtht bbl and carbine stock. Am I barking up a tree that requires a lot of testing and figuring out? I'd love to have this rifle humming the first go...

C_K

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris_K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would seem that this is a pretty big issue with the LR 308 especially in a carbine. Is there one sure fix? or is finding the buffer/ spring weight just part of the gig for this type of rifle?

I've got an 18" DPMS that's getting some work done when I get home, and this kind of thing gives me cold feet. Its an 18" bull now, its going to become a 16" mid lengtht bbl and carbine stock. Am I barking up a tree that requires a lot of testing and figuring out? I'd love to have this rifle humming the first go...

C_K </div></div>ok .haha .
    g.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cloudes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris_K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would seem that this is a pretty big issue with the LR 308 especially in a carbine. Is there one sure fix? or is finding the buffer/ spring weight just part of the gig for this type of rifle?

C_K </div></div>ok .haha .
    g.gif
    </div></div>

thats helpful...ass

are you just here to get your post count up and sell shit? Or here to post useless and retarded nonsense in peoples posts? either way I suggest you fill out your profile and stop acting like a fucking clown.

C_K

Two ounces of buffer weight is pretty big. The H3 buffers probably cost more and that would explain DPMS using the Car15 buffer on the .308 gun.

I would go further even, and rather than 5.3 ounces, pick up a slash heavy buffer or a MGI RRB.

My LMT MWS came with a 5.3 ounce buffer. I put a 7.1 ounce MGI RRB in it, and it still kicks cases about 4 feet in the prone and locks the bolt on an empty magazine.

I'm going to be running a suppressor later on so that is important for me- as suppressors add some gas pressure, and excessive bolt speed is less likely to be an issue with a more properly regulated gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two ounces of buffer weight is pretty big. The H3 buffers probably cost more and that would explain DPMS using the Car15 buffer on the .308 gun.

I would go further even, and rather than 5.3 ounces, pick up a slash heavy buffer or a MGI RRB.

My LMT MWS came with a 5.3 ounce buffer. I put a 7.1 ounce MGI RRB in it, and it still kicks cases about 4 feet in the prone and locks the bolt on an empty magazine.

I'm going to be running a suppressor later on so that is important for me- as suppressors add some gas pressure, and excessive bolt speed is less likely to be an issue with a more properly regulated gun.

</div></div>Thanks for the insight!