• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS 308 OR 260 Accuracy ?

bigjake722003

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2010
Elizabeth, WV
First off I am not posting this to hear about how I should buy some other brand. If I buy this gun its becuase of the price so dont reply with buy this $1k more expensive rifle. I am thinking about buying/building one of their AR-10's, I was just wondering what kind of accuracy people are seeing with these with either factory or handloads.

Re: DPMS 308 OR 260 Accuracy ?

Contact lsm62 he has one and is shooting .5 moa with a I believe a 24 inch barreled .308.

3 shots in the same hole at 100, 1/2 moa to 500 when I do my part. 24" lr308 with 2 stage trigger and prs stock. Shooting 178 amax with 43.5 rl-15 in black hills brass. The gun shoots alot better than I do.

girlfriend has the 260h. same hole shots at 100. Still working up loads.

Have 308lr & 260lr uppers, the 308 has grouped the best (175s) but the 260 reaches out better (142s) (haven't found the best load for the 260 yet)(may need to play with the 123s)

I shoot a DPMS LR.308 SASS. It will shoot .50MOA if I do my part. Very happy with it. I shoot 168gr FGMM.
halfinchgroupdpms.jpg

I have one with a sass upper, it is sub-moa with good ammo.

If you just want a 24" bull barrel and don't care about rails etc then you can get a dpms for 900-1k ready to go, I see them at gun shows all the time. However if you want say a 16 with rails, UBR stock whatever then you will have to build it for yourself. So you really ought to say what exactly you are looking for.

As far as 260 vs 308 goes 260 bullets have a bit flatter trajectory so if you're looking for a long-range rifle and plan on handloading for it exclusively then I would consider it.

I have an LR-308 but without the quad rail. I am not going to be painting targets for the fly boys anytime soon lol and the night vision I am going to use has an adapter system that screws in the end objective of your scope so it works for me. Also the DPMS is a SR-25 based clone like the Knights Armament its not an AR-10 that is the Armalite 308 version which uses a propitary mag system. Accuracy wise,DPMS will tell you that the accuracy will increase after you make it past the 200 round count as per thier " barrel break in proceedure". After 260 rnds the grouping started to do just that. I have 370 rnds down range and at 100 yds. with multiple 3 shot groups I am putting them all in the size of a dime and no larger than that of a nickle when I throw one using dept. issue 168 FGMM.I only use patches to clean the barrel as well and have not used a bore snake or brass brush after the break in proccedure as per DPMS.I am not getting into that mess of a discussion lol do what you do on that one. If you look up my posts or search DPMS 308 you will see I did a gret deal of research on this before I bought one, as have others. It came down between the Rock River and the DPMS. Both are good platforms, but the ability to use PMAGS on the LR-308 at only 20 bucks a pop and the fact that it has more compatible parts with the aftermarket crowd sold me.The Rock River uses FAL Mags which are also avaiible but in my neck of the woods more costly. If you get the DPMS LR-308 model, the stock 2 stage sucks, get rid of it. It uses a small pin / .154 diameter so any trigger group using that will work. 2 go PMAG and dont look back, I bought from Midwest PX and I also use some of his modifed low round deals that just stick out of the mag well, no issues failing to feed to stove pipes what so ever after 370 rnds.3 Before you go out and buy a stock spend the 20 bucks on a slip on Shooters Friend Gel Recoil Pad from Cabellas. ARPreditorhunter gave me a heads up that im glad I listend, shoot it for a bit then decide what route of aftermarket stock you want. I have a Magpul PRS on mine, be sure that if you go this route, you order the 308/ AR -10 version not the AR-15 version. The 308 charging handle is obviously longer than the AR-15 and will hit the cheek piece on the AR-15 version and not allow the BCG to fully retract in the buffer tube as it should so make sure you get the 308 version. The slip on recoil pad will also fit right over the end of the adj. lop butt and onto the PRS stock itself so it wont look like a home made job either. Make sure now if you want to go with a fluted barrel or with a muzzle break. If you go with the bull barrel, stay with it depending on what you are going to do with this. There is another member here on the hide that took a perfectly fine heavy barrel .308 and had it fluted and a break added and now its all cadi-whompissed for various reasons.So if you need to you can buy an aftermarket barrel and either have a local smith change it for you or send your upper off to the company that has the barrel you want and have them fis it up for you.A good recoil pad in combo with say Slash Heavy Buffers works awesome in these LR-308's to also help reduce recoil without touching the barrel. I hope this helps and any fellow hide members want to add to or correct please feel free.

i have the 308lr with an after market 2 lb trigger and have gotten tight groups with it but i have also seen the dpms 6.5 creedmoor in action and that thing rocks. i watched a guy put 15 out of 15 on a target 1000m out while trying to get two in the air at the same time. it was fun to watch. haven't seen a 260 in action yet though so i cant help to much there.

I have a dpms lr and can sub moa all day with hand loads that mimic hornady 175 grain.

the DPMS 308 platform AR's have a rep for great out of the box accuracy. thay will generaly prefer the heavier rounds (168-180)
from a factory DPMS SASS. 10 shot group at 100yards with factory 180gr winchester power points.
flyer on right was discounted due to getting hit with windblown debris at the shot. an additional round was fired for the 10 shot group.
caliper.jpg

i also have a DPMS REPR in .260 rem, tho it has a custom Kreiger bbl on it. that one is a sub 1/4 MOA rifle. if you reload i would recommend getting the .260remington for the extra performance. if you wont be reloading i would get the .308 for the factory ammo availability

I had one for about a year and it shot 123 and 140 Amax's extremely well for a factory gun. I had the heavy SS 24" match barrel.

It was quite capable of MOA at 1000yd and I hit targets out past 1400yd with it. A 1 MOA plate at 1200 was repeatedly engaged by myself and a friend at Thunder Valley last year with the 140 Amax @ 2700 fps.

The hiccup I had was that my upper was pretty hard on the brass and the gas system just couldn't take the pressures that a bolt gun will (no surprise). The heavy 24" barreled rifle was a ballistic twin to Lowlight's 18.5" barreled 260 bolt gun at a significant increase in heft.

A friend of mine still has his, his rifle shoots better than my upper did, it's an honest 1/2 MOA rifle out to 500yd and he's shot several groups at 1000yd under 8" with it.

LR 308, 24" bbl. Did a few mods - JP adjustable block, JP trigger (about 3lbs).

Shoots 3/4 MOA with handloads, never shot factory ammo with it. The barrels do take awhile to break in.

Keep in mind that I hardly ever shoot paper from a bench rest. I'm sure if I really tried the rifle would group smaller.

Aside from DPMS factory mags, I've never had any problems. I had mine before 7.62 Pmags hit the market, so factory mags are a moot point.

I got to shoot my SASS for the 1st time at 800 yds this AM. It was just an 800 yard qual that's required to use this particular range so we weren't exactly shooting groups. Once you're doped you're pretty much done.

My first round was dead center aboout 1/2 mil high on the edge of the paper. I dialed down .5 and parked 2 rounds within 2 inches of a 3 inch pastie. I was pretty shocked actually. I didn't think it would perform like that at 800 yds. I should have tried a group.

I am in the process of buying a DPMS .308. Just wondering what you think in the line of glass to go on top. I am lening toward Leupold Mark 4 MR/T spr. Planing on using it for a DM rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavecop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am in the process of buying a DPMS .308. Just wondering what you think in the line of glass to go on top. I am lening toward Leupold Mark 4 MR/T spr. Planing on using it for a DM rifle. </div></div>

Depends how far you plan on shooting. Mine is wearing a USO right now but I've also ran an EOTech w/3-power magnifier and a Lupy MKIV. All performed well on it. I lke the USO for 6-800 yd work but it's a bit large/heavy. The Lupy seems a better fit and 10X is plenty for most distances. I'd almost think a good 1-4X would even be a good choice.

I bought one of the DPMS LR308's with 24 inch barrel and all the trick stuff I could order on it. I wanted the rifle built from the factory with paperwork showing that I didn't add the trick stuff after I received the rifle.

Initially the rifle had a short throat. I had horrible over pressure problems, difficulty extracting unfired rounds. The rounds that weren't fired would come out with the lands deeply engraved into the ogive of the bullet. Primers were flattened and flowing, and the brass was obviously pressed way to hard against the bolt.

I contacted DPMS and they said return the rifle along with a magazine. I wrote a detailed letter about the short throat, but never said anything about feeding problems because I hadn't had any feeding problems. I asked that they provide me a copy of the work sheet showing what they did to the rifle as I wanted to keep it with all my records on the rifle.

The rifle came back without any paperwork. So I called DPMS and they said they swapped out a magazine, and that fixed the feeding issue. I reminded them that I never had any feeding issues, and asked about the short throat problem. They said everything checked out fine, and they didn't do anything to the throat.

Funny thing was that the same rounds that used to come out of the rifle with the lands engraved into the ogive now came out normally. None of the rounds fired after the rifle's return showed any of the previous pressure signs.

The opinion of the gunsmith who witnessed the early problems with the rifle, and shot it after it's return was that FN properly reamed out the throat after they received the rifle back. They (FN) just didn't want to have to admit to a quality control problem.

The part about this that disturbs me, it basic honesty. If I bought a one of custom rifle, I would be pissed if the smith returned the rifle with a short throat.

But as DPMS makes thousands of rifles, it just stands to reason that on occasion, reamers will wear out prematurely, or someone might not notice that a reamer had worn out prematurely, hence a few rifles came out with short throats. I would have been far more comfortable with DPMS simply admitting that one got past them, and they fixed the problem, and are sorry for the inconvenience.

When they deny the problem, it makes me distrust them about just about everything else after that.

The rifle didn't shoot that well for about 400 rounds, but now has settled into shooting quite well with heavier bullets like 168/175 grain bullets. I think that when the new throat got broken in, things are working quite well.

I was really disappointed in how DPMS handled the problem. You still might want to give them a try. I wouldn't buy a rifle from them again, but it is your money... If I were doing it over, and hadn't had the experience I did, I might buy DPMS receivers and have someone else build the rifle using a Kreiger, Schneider, Obermeyer, or similar barrel.