• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS 308 SASS ??

Re: DPMS 308 SASS ??

I have a DPMS Sass upper, it is MOA or better with good ammo. Typical grouping for me is 3/4" 5 shots at 100 and 1 1/2" at 200 using handloads. Velocity is acceptable for an 18" 308, 2500fps is about max with a 175+ weight bullet. It's not "match" barrel though as the consistency and higher velocities I see out of match barrels just aren't there.

Are you buying the whole rifle complete? It's not a bad setup if you are getting a decent price but keep in mind a lot of that extra money is going towards features like the flip-up sighs, PRS stock that some of them came with, etc etc. So if you want those features then great, but if not you should consider buying a stripped lower and then building your own upper instead. That's what I wish I had done.

I have one I'm not thrilled with. The chamber was cut way short.

Brass went in at 1.626 and came out at 1.622!

Sure, I can crunch it down to 1.618 and it shoots.

So far have not been able to get it to shoot. Called DPMS. Here's the scary part. Tech told me it must have been assembled with a worn headspace gauge!!! I don't even want to go there with ya. I'd be careful. Check it out well. Bring headspace gauges.

Thanks guys ! I can get one for $2,000... I just dont want it to jam, and want it to shoot 1 moa @ 100 and 2 moa @ 200 3moa @ 300....i'm not picky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cabinboy1968</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys ! I can get one for $2,000... I just dont want it to jam, and want it to shoot 1 moa @ 100 and 2 moa @ 200 3moa @ 300....i'm not picky. </div></div>

It'll do that or better unless you get one with a bad barrel.

I wouldn't spend more than 1700 on a new DPMS sass, also consider the dpms mark12 if you want a factory DPMS rifle.

Building your own is an option too, you could do it for 16-1700 and would have a better barrel so would probably be more accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.618? Do you mean to the shoulder or what? Did it not chamber factory ammunition? </div></div>

Yeah, let me elaborate. SAAMI says a 7.62 chamber is supposed to be between 1.630 and 1.640. You probably know that.

Take my 14 for example. Brass goes in at 1.626. SAI sent me a card with my M1A that said the chambe was 1.6315. Brass goes in at 1.626 and comes out about 1.628-1.629. Normal

So I shot some LC M80 ball out of the SASS first time out. That goes in at 1.619--it's sized small for positive feed in full autos. That comes out at like 1.622!! I then shot some handloads using LC cases with Sierra 168's sized at 1.626.

That comes out of the gun at 1.624. Whatda? So I called DPMS and that's when the tech told me the story of the headspace gauge. I still have not sent it back as it can take months.

If you're going to only 500 yards, I think any .308 with at least 14 inches of barrel would provide enough accuracy and enough energy to do whatever you want.

Except maybe with 220-grain round-nose bullets. But up to 175/178 boat-tails, okay.

Just remembering all those .308 hand cannons that were popular no so long ago. Takes bit more elevation beyond 300, but works.

You guys just saved me $300 !!!!!! Thanks for the info.

SO i'm guessing the DPMS is not junk, correct ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cabinboy1968</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys just saved me $300 !!!!!! Thanks for the info.

SO i'm guessing the DPMS is not junk, correct ? </div></div>

No, DPMS is NOT junk. They make a good, affordable rifle.