• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing DPMS 6.5 creedmoor issues(PICS ADDED )

ds03cobra

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2010
South east FL
Looking for gunsmith suggestions for my DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor . I purchased this rifle about a year ago used from gander mountain . I took delivery of the rifle and wanted it threaded so i had a machinist buddy of mine thread it . The problem i am having with it is it doesnt cycle properly . I and numerous friend believe its a tight chamber problem due to markings on the empty brass . The marks on the brass are around the circumferance of the brass the full length of the case . It also has an issue with feeding the next round without forward assist help. Who here are the goto guys for AR platform rifles . I have thought about rebarreling in .308 but i would really like to get this one working properly . as i believe it will be a great shooter .
Thanks in advance

Re: DPMS 6.5 creedmoor issues

I am assuming your machinist bud had to take the rifle apart to thread the barrel.
Based on that assumption, I would say there is a gas issue causing your problem.
But then, please tell us that you shot it before letting your bud lay the machinist hands on it.
Remember this, a gunsmith is always a machinist but a machinist is not always a gun smith.
Check the alignment of the gas block hole with the gas hole in the barrel. This is often the cause.

i bet your machinist friend didn't put the rifle back together correctly after threading the barrel.

Here’s a simple trouble shooting test to see if gas block is aligned correctly.

1. Lock bolt carrier to the rear
2. Insert an empty magazine in the rifle
3. Load one single round in the chamber
4. Drop bolt carrier forward
5. Fire rifle

If the bolt carrier doesn’t lock back the gas block may be offset or misaligned from the thread job. If this is the case align the top of the gas block with the top of the receiver (assuming flat top model) and retest.

Report back with your findings.

No i did not fire the rifle prior to the threading job . I assembled and dissassembled the rifle as i have done numerous Ar15 style rifles that have all worked flawlessly . I disassembled the rifle today at my local gun store and the gas port was properly aligned and the bolt does lock back on single round fire . As far as the buffer and spring are concerned they are the ones that originally cam with the rifle so i (hate to say it ) assume its correct for the rifle . The problem i am having is the round fails to go fully into battery without forward assist help and sometimes the rifle will not even move the bolt to eject the round without force applied by hand ( no hammers or anything ) . I have run the rifle dry to dripping wet and in between with no change to function . Thank you for everyones replys i will try to get some good pics of the brass so everyone can see the marks on the brass i was talking about in my first post .

IMG_4893.jpg

IMG_4892.jpg

IMG_4891.jpg

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4888.jpg

IMG_4887.jpg

IMG_4886.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

IMG_4884.jpg

IMG_4883.jpg

Ouch, that brass looks nasty. Looks like the chamber needs polishing.

This is not just directed at you but WTF would anyone not test fire a new rifle before spending time/money customizing it. Oh sure, I understand the guy who will go the Academy to buy a cheap R700 just to get the action, but if you are not buying something to cannibalize parts then it seems you are just way ahead of the game trying it out first. Especially so with products from Freedom Group/DPMS, as I have seen bunches of F'd up crap from them the last couple of years.

Gas port looks good, chamber looks like shit. I would chuck a 308 chamber brush on a length of rod and chuck it up in a drill, wrap a patch slathered in Flitz or JB Bore paste and polish the hell out of the chamber.

Thanks for everyones replys as usual everyone has been very helpful i will pick up a few things this week and try it out .