• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

dpms 6.5 creedmoor

Jamesrap

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2014
montana
What are people's thoughts and experience with the dpms 6.5 creedmoor thinking I might just need one. I have never owned an ar before

I have an accuracy systems 6.5 creedmoor with a Lilja barrel and ASI brake. I haven't shot it yet. Just got a Vortex 6-24x50 scope from tubesteak boogie. Waiting on Vortex mount. I can't wait to shoot it.

n2zbwn.jpg

oiekaa.jpg

25hk2rl.jpg

I was going to sell it, but I'm thinking I'm going to keep it once I get it zeroed. I'm thinking I can get more uppers for it in different calibers too. I'm thinking of getting a .308 with a fluted black hole armory barrel and a kick ass sun Devil 15.5" handguard that covers a micro gas block. Sun Devil is going to release the 308 handguard this year.

I have a brand new Sun Devil upper and lower, matching serial #'s, still in the box for sale if you're interested.

GET AN AR- you'll love it. I've got 2 5.56's and love them.

I don't think you can beat them for the price. I was extremely happy with my LR308. Ran great, shot 5/8" at 100 yds with hand loads. Should have never gotten rid of it.

Sorry this is my first post idk how to reply to just one person in quotes how much for the sun devil upper and lower and thats a mean looking set up I dont know how you could have waited to shoot it lol id be out just looking down the barrel popping off rounds.

I was thinking that there a good price to start with as a first ar

Mine is really well done, a real performer, it is uglier than a bar stool at a truck stop but it really does perform quite well. This was the first run with it few years back, this is a 5 shot group. My father was with me, and could not believe the group I saw.

Mike at CS tactical recommended I get one, instead of converting one of my bolt guns, he said they preform really well and they are really cheap. I am glad I took his advice. If you look to the bottom right, you can see 3 shot groups and yes, those are 3 shots in that bullseye. Trigger is still stock, I've thought about getting rid of this gun from my safe but I just always go, but why? I shoot mostly 308 now, but I cannot bring myself to ditch it, or even bother buying a 6.5 barrel for my LMT.

If you can find one, I'd suggest you try it out. Never had any jamming issues either. Hornady 140gr is what was used in this group, and is all I have shot with it, on paper that is. Steel, did the lighter one, seemed fine.

DPMS makes relatively accurate rifles. In terms of accuracy payoff, you get a lot of bang for your buck when you consider that most of their rifles are not all that expensive.

That said, have some perspective on the price. I cannot count on one hand how many DPMS AR-15 rifles I've seen make it through a carbine course, mainly because I don't have a hand that has zero fingers. Their LR-308 platform has a better reputation for reliability than their AR15/AP4 series of rifles. Speaking as a LE AR Armorer from Minnesota who has seen lots and lots of DPMS, and has seen lots and lots of DPMS problems, I can tell you that the "D" in DPMS does not stand for "durable". There are numerous LE agencies in Minnesota that have been royally burned by DPMS and gotten horseshit rifles that all had significant malfunctions. Further, DPMS has horrible customer service because most people you talk to are incompetent. There is a thread somewhere on this site where a guy sent his AR into DPMS for barrel work, and they did a hackjob so bad it looked like it was done by a 5yr old with an air chisel. Given what I know about DPMS repairs, that's not abnormal. It shouldn't take three trips to a factory to convince them that there is no chrome-lining in your agency's BCGs and that there should be, but it in fact did for one agency. That's just the tip of the iceberg too.
This is all stuff that you would never see from a company like GAP, Les Baer, Noveske, JP, LMT, KAC, etc.

If you plan to do some casual shooting with the rifle, you'll be fine. I would never trust a DPMS to run hard in a professional high round count rifle course. Some have done it, but many have failed in the attempt. I realize that not everyone can afford a GAP or JP, but keep in mind that there are going to be trade-offs for lower price of the DPMS. I strongly believe in the concept of Buy Once, Cry Once.

just .... wow.

I feel like I am reading something straight off from AR15.com .... 5 or 10 years ago. You don't even see this kind of non-sense over there anymore.

I've been very happy with the DPMS LR series. I had one in .308 that ran for 736 problem-free rounds, except for one that failed to chamber. That was my fault though, because I rode the charging handle forward. The 24" heavy barrel let you know you had no lightweight carbine for running a 3-gun course, but for bench or prone work it was fantastic. With Hornady 168 grain Amax loads, the gun's favorite, the best group I managed was 5/8", but 3/4-1" was more the norm. I never hand loaded rounds for it before I sold it.

My current DPMS is the 6.5 Creedmoor below. It's not quite as accurate with factory ammo as the .308, but it's close enough for government work. I do plan to reload for this gun. Shooting the gun at distance has been a blast. With no long range training other than practice behind guns at mostly 100 yards and reading about long range shooting on the 'net, I shot the gun to 750 yards for the first time in very windy conditions and managed about a 75% hit ratio on a 16"x12" plate. I will say that the scope, a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 mil/mil sfp, sure makes a lot of difference when it comes to ranges past 6" or so of drop. The target pictured is typical of groups that I expect with the factory Hornady 120 and 140 grain ammo, and I bet with a better driver behind the trigger those might shrink 1/8" or so. It's really tough to say whether this or my 300 Blackout SBR is my favorite gun in the safe.

CreedmoorDPMS_zps36fa852b.jpg

65cmtarget20120615_zpsbd204322.jpg

I've been very happy with the DPMS LR series. I had one in .308 that ran for 736 problem-free rounds, except for one that failed to chamber. That was my fault though, because I rode the charging handle forward. The 24" heavy barrel let you know you had no lightweight carbine for running a 3-gun course, but for bench or prone work it was fantastic. With Hornady 168 grain Amax loads, the gun's favorite, the best group I managed was 5/8", but 3/4-1" was more the norm. I never hand loaded rounds for it before I sold it.

My current DPMS is the 6.5 Creedmoor below. It's not quite as accurate with factory ammo as the .308, but it's close enough for government work. I do plan to reload for this gun. Shooting the gun at distance has been a blast. With no long range training other than practice behind guns at mostly 100 yards and reading about long range shooting on the 'net, I shot the gun to 750 yards for the first time in very windy conditions and managed about a 75% hit ratio on a 16"x12" plate. I will say that the scope, a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 mil/mil sfp, sure makes a lot of difference when it comes to ranges past 6" or so of drop. The target pictured is typical of groups that I expect with the factory Hornady 120 and 140 grain ammo, and I bet with a better driver behind the trigger those might shrink 1/8" or so. It's really tough to say whether this or my 300 Blackout SBR is my favorite gun in the safe.

View attachment 29253

View attachment 29255

Those are pretty good groups I also have no long distance training but I have a range close that goes out to 1000yards and have just been shooting those long distances. I have only took one long shot at an elk with my 280 at 790 yards but he dropped like a ton of bricks. I have never owned an ar but im thinking the dpms will be a good gun to get my feet wet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk