• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Dpms G2 or old model?

briang7511

steel smasher
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
I am interested in getting a new 308 ar platform. Buds has the new G2 and the old version. the G2 is 1079 and the old version is 979 for the model I am interested in which is the bull barrel 24 in version. Which one is a better buy or which one would you buy? Primary use will be target out to 1000yds. Accuracy is most important. What are the major differences with the G2 model?

G2 weighs about 1lb less, but has a proprietary BCG, upper, lower, and barrel nut. Right now there are no aftermarket barrels for them either.

The 1st gen weighs more, and has lots of aftermarket options for it out now. Both should shoot the same accuracy wise.

If it were me, I'd go with the 1st gen, and put the extra $$ towards a good trigger (the factory triggers are terrible).

You'd be crazy not to take advantage of the major advances of the gen 2.
The quality is much higher in terms of fit, finish and metallurgy. When you add in the lighter weight and more compact profile, it's a no brainer.
Barrels can still be made for it, you just have to cannibalize the existing barrel assembly for the extension. Or wait for the parts, which dpms has been pretty good at supplying in the past.
I've owned both a gen 1 and 2, and wouldn't purchase the gen 1 if it was even half the cost of the gen 2. No comparison at all.

You'd be crazy not to take advantage of the major advances of the gen 2.
The quality is much higher in terms of fit, finish and metallurgy. When you add in the lighter weight and more compact profile, it's a no brainer.
Barrels can still be made for it, you just have to cannibalize the existing barrel assembly for the extension. Or wait for the parts, which dpms has been pretty good at supplying in the past.
I've owned both a gen 1 and 2, and wouldn't purchase the gen 1 if it was even half the cost of the gen 2. No comparison at all.

Thanks for the input, how is the trigger on the G2?

Factory for Factory Gen 2 Trigger is 10 x BETTER than the Gen 1. Let's just say I have No Plans upgrading my Gen 2 Factory 2 Stage Trigger EVER.

Thanks again for the response. Would you say the trigger is as good as a timney or a gieselle?

Thanks again for the response. Would you say the trigger is as good as a timney or a gieselle?

I have the Gen I DPMS SASS which has the JP trigger as standard equipment. I don't know how the Gen II trigger could possibly be 10X better. Perhaps a little hyperbole there. i would rate the JP trigger somewhere between my Geissele SSA and SSA-E triggers. i never felt the need to upgrade the trigger either as I did on my LMT MWS or Armalite AR10A4. By the time you add a high magnification scope I don't see what difference there would be if the rig was 13 lbs or 14 lbs. Both would be beasts to lug around.

I have the Recon and fit and finish is pretty good, the trigger is pretty good. I am only about 200 rounds into this rifle, but so far every thing seems good. But it is a new rifle, so only time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As good as it might be it is still a Factory Trigger. But then again you're saving $250 by keeping it and see how you like it. I've owned Gen 1 Recon and now Gen 2 Recon. The Trigger in the Gen 1 DPMS Anything Except SASS were Jokes. Very Heavy and Griddy from the factory.

Like I said before. You have the right and money to upgrade anything you want on it, I merely suggested that you at least give it a shot and see how you like it before you go on and waste $250 on somehting that might only have minimal advantages over the factory unit in the first place. That's a decent portion of a good scope or a lot of ammo you could use on.

Just my 2 cents.

It's similar to an ssa for weight, but crisper, and with less over travel.
Not gritty like the typical stock trigger. It's better than the trigger that came with my lmt mws.