• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS LR-260 Dilemma

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
Opinion needed,

I have a dpms LR-260 and through alot of handloading efforts and new trigger i have managed to get it to be a 1/2 to 3/4 MOA rifle. Now that being said it is with a 140gr A-max. I want to shoot 120gr bullets in it but to do so i have to have the gas port opened up slightly as i have tried running 120's in the past and they will not function fully. I have taken it to two gunsmiths and even got in touch with DPMS and they told me nothing was wrong with the rifle but to run 120's i would need to open it up. My question is: is it worth it to go to this work to run the 120's for a little better trajectory or stick with the 140 and be happy. Just wanted some what would you do opinions. Thanks.

Re: DPMS LR-260 Dilemma

Only you can answer the question, if it will be worth it. It's your rifle. If you want to shoot the 120's, do it. When they open the gas port, I recommend you put an adjustable gas block on there to keep the rifle from getting to much of a good thing when running the 140's.

I do have a adjustable block on there currently as i have thought about this a few times.

Any other opinions? Or any your stupid or thats a tuffy?

do they make a lighter buffer? or lighter carrier? (my pre-ban era KAC SR-25 came with a solid plastic buffer that's pretty light)

did not try a lighter carrier but did try buffer to no avail. It seemed to be the general idea to open the port as "what is needed"