• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS LR-308 Gouging Casing

disdp1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
Recently I pickup up an almost new LR-308 and discovered a significate problem w/ the bolt locking in the receiver due to a feed problem originating with the magazine gouging the brass. The bolt was locked so tight I had to use an oak dowel and pound the BCG back until the shell ejected. The gouge was at the 1:00 position of the shell. After reading many posts on DPMS bad mags and load tray burrs, I ended up coloring a dead shell w/ a sharpy and found it truly was the magazine. Supposedly DPMS will replace the mags if you call them, but I ended up altering the mags enough that I no longer have the gouging problem. Hopefully this post will help anyone else who has this type of issue. Use the discovery step I did and eventually you'll dial in the problem.

Regards,

Re: DPMS LR-308 Gouging Casing

Pmags here, flawless function. I have had extraction/ejection issues before do to adjustable gas block not being open enough for low charges during load development testing. But never since new was there a feed issue concerning Pmags, never a feed issue period.

Edit; LR-308 self assembled.

Re: DPMS LR-308 Gouging Casing

Well,I worked through the issue of gouging the casings by slightly bending out the shell holder guide on top and filing down the inside edge of the shell holder guide on both sides of the mag. I have about 100 rounds through the rifle and the casing have no more marring. Best way was to disassemble the mag. The treated the inside of the mag w/ Rusteprufe nitro solvent. Good to go! On a side note, have two Pmags on the way when backorder is resolved from Midway.

Regards,