• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS LR308 question

chpprguy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2004
Los Alamos NM
Is there a trick to removing the flash hider so that I can thread my can on?

Or do I simply have to make a barrel bushing to clamp the barrel and use a wrench on the flash hider?

Andy

Re: DPMS LR308 question

I ordered my DPMS with an M60 flash suppressor. I clamped my barrel in a barrel vise, put a bar through the slots and smacked the bar with a dead-blow hammer. It came right off.

I bought one of the white plastic upper reciever blocks from Midway...it inserts into the upper and gets secured by the two take down pin mounts...this then clamps into a vise.

Holds the upper rock solid.

My flash hider is a 3/4" wrench.

~Mike

Heat worked for me on one two weeks ago. Wouldn't budge without it, came right off once it was heated up a bit.

My Miculek compensator on my LR308 doesn't have a locknut. I just used a nylon strap wrench and it came off with a little force.

My DPMS came with an M60 flash suppressor. Must have had a gorilla and perminant locktite install mine, did the works to try and take it off, ended up dremel cutting a slot along and just above the threads + cold chisil to separate = then it came off fine! What a Bit*h

I clamped the barrel in a padded vise, warmed the flash hider up with a propane torch, smacked the wrench and she came loose, no muss, no fuss.

Thanks again for the tips...
Now another question if ya'll don't mind...

I got this rifle in a trade and the lower looks like it's getting beat up by the BCG

P3070065.jpg

Do I need a stronger spring? a weighted buffer?
any tips would be appreciated,
Andy

That doesn't look like the carrier is hitting it, the carrier goes inside the buffer tube.

Looks like someone staked the receiver extension from inside the receiver instead of on the lock ring.

Take a marker and color the bright spots and shoot it a little. see if the marker gets worn off.

I agree with mtmisfit. Doesn't look like the carrier is causing that problem. Carrier tilt (more common with piston uppers) occurs in the buffer tube and not on the outside of the tube. Plus, the fact that you have spots at 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock, as well as two unmarked spots in your pic at around 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock, I'd say some tool decided to stake down the buffer tube incorrectly (and he did a half-assed job as well)!!

Try the marker/sharpie and see if that clears things up any.

I tried to shoot it,
It failed to feed, failed to eject, then stuck a case and the extractor ripped the case rim off....

I got home and found two quarters behind the buffer..... awesome fix by the previous owner.....
crazy.gif

The marks in the lower match the bolt perfectly at the point where the bolt gets bigger......
dpmscarriers.jpg

I can't tell from the pic of your BCG, but are there any areas of suspicious wear/tear on the carrier itself? I realize it is HC'd, but you should still be able to see signs of impact/rubbing/etc.

Do you have any pics of your buffer/spring setup? I am wondering if you are running the wrong ones (i.e. - An AR-15 buffer and spring instead of the AR-10/LR-308).

That said...still doesn't explain your FTE problems. Was this last trip to the range the first chance you have had to shoot the rifle since you traded for it?

I never buy AR's from anyone but a chosen few or manufacturers. Every idiot and their half-wit brother is cobbling together AR's now. Imagine buying an AR cobbled together by Lazy21, or a rather long list of amateur shortbus gunsmiths on the web. Those are reckless and dangerous buying decisions.

I'll get pics this evening after work,
this was "supposed" to be an unmodified DPMS LR 308.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is the carrier!!!, its the sides that widen I know i had the same thing, you need to replace the buffer spring or get a heavier buffer
</div></div>

Which is better, more weight or more spring?
Also, should I get a longer buffer, to not allow it to ram the lower?
(I have a lathe, I could cut one to a custom length)

Get a Tubb flatwire spring and his counter weight systm and you'll be impressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a Tubb flatwire spring and his counter weight systm and you'll be impressed. </div></div>

Will do,
thanks for the info....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll get pics this evening after work,
this was "supposed" to be an unmodified DPMS LR 308.....
</div></div>

Since it has been determined it is the carrier striking the receiver. Sounds like the wrong buffer & buffer spring are installed.

I'd try a DPMS spring & buffer first and if I still had problems I'd contact them.

Don't know anything about the Tubb spring or weights but have had good luck with the hydraulic buffers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never buy AR's from anyone but a chosen few or manufacturers. Every idiot and their half-wit brother is cobbling together AR's now. Imagine buying an AR cobbled together by Lazy21, or a rather long list of amateur shortbus gunsmiths on the web. Those are reckless and dangerous buying decisions. </div></div>

I have been a victim of this problem. Thankfully the guy gave me my money back after I showed him that he had installed the barrel nut 45 degrees off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a Tubb flatwire spring and his counter weight systm and you'll be impressed. </div></div>

Will do,
thanks for the info.... </div></div>

Let us know if you find out that TUBB makes a counter weight...when i ordered my spring a month or so ago they didnt make one for 308.

Unless the 223 can be used.

~Mike

My miculek brake came off by using alot more torque than I expected. Once removed, it comes off, and returns to correct alignment without any problem.

I am waiting for my rifle back from DPMS. I returned it because everything indicated a short throat: rifling engraved onto bullets, rounds getting stuck in the chamber and part of the rim being ripped off, flattened primers, excessive recoil.

I returned the rifle to DPMS, and they replaced the magazine. They had feeding issues. I never did have, nor did I report any feeding issues. I wasn't allowed to speak with the gunsmith, nor would anyone tell me how they determined that the "throat looks OK". They winced when I told them I was using Winchester white box ammo as if I were using ammo from some 3rd world country..

I'm not about to break the rifle in with Federal GMM though. The rifle has about 200 rounds through it now. Maybe 202 after DPMS test fired it..

I am extremely disappointed in the response to the problem with this rifle, and will be unlikely to buy another rifle from them. Guess I'll have to take the rifle to a gunsmith on my end to have it fixed. It appears that this is not unusual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WildCat1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have been a victim of this problem. Thankfully the guy gave me my money back after I showed him that he had installed the barrel nut 45 degrees off. </div></div>

What do you mean, the barrel nut was 45 degrees off? Not tightened down or what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dreamweaver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a Tubb flatwire spring and his counter weight systm and you'll be impressed. </div></div>

Will do,
thanks for the info.... </div></div>

Let us know if you find out that TUBB makes a counter weight...when i ordered my spring a month or so ago they didnt make one for 308.

Unless the 223 can be used.

~Mike </div></div>

I will call and check on it,
couldn't I also put weight in the buffer and accomplish the same thing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtmisfit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Don't know anything about the Tubb spring or weights but have had good luck with the <span style="color: #FF0000">hydraulic buffers.</span> </div></div>

Hydraulic buffer?

first just spend the $30 on a stock DPMS buffer and spring. then see what happens. borrow someone elses, but start from stock so as not to cause any more damage than the last person that thought "hey, a buffer is a buffer right?" you can always sell them. and brownells has hydraulic buffers in the catalog, $80-$170

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">first just spend the $30 on a stock DPMS buffer and spring. then see what happens. borrow someone elses, but start from stock so as not to cause any more damage than the last person that thought "hey, a buffer is a buffer right?" you can always sell them. and brownells has hydraulic buffers in the catalog, $80-$170 </div></div>

Fair enough,
thanks

Brother, sounds and looks to me like you have some wrong parts. I'd make sure of this and get it figured out first. The Tubb's system is meant to be an improvement on an already working rifle, not a fix for something way awrong. Good luck.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brother, sounds and looks to me like you have some wrong parts. I'd make sure of this and get it figured out first. The Tubb's system is meant to be an improvement on an already working rifle, not a fix for something way awrong. Good luck.

okie </div></div>

thanks, I agree, and since I know squat about AR10's I am going to make sure I have the right buffer tube and then confirm that I have the right buffer and order a new buffer and/or spring from DPMS....

they are in stock at brownells for the same price. 24.99 buffer and 4.99 spring.

Did they come factory with a 4 position collapsible butt stock?
(this is not my rifle, but mine looks the same, sans optic)
LR308%20AP4.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtmisfit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Don't know anything about the Tubb spring or weights but have had good luck with the <span style="color: #FF0000">hydraulic buffers.</span> </div></div>

Hydraulic buffer? </div></div>

They make 3 different hydraulic buffers for the .308 AR's depending on the stock used. Buffers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WildCat1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have been a victim of this problem. Thankfully the guy gave me my money back after I showed him that he had installed the barrel nut 45 degrees off. </div></div>

What do you mean, the barrel nut was 45 degrees off? Not tightened down or what? </div></div>

I apologize, I meant the barrel extension. The guy had pinned it so the right feed ramp was in the 7 o'clock position (approximately) and the left feed ramp was in the 9 o'clock position. It took me some time to figure out why the rounds wouldn't feed into the chamber. It was very clear he didn't QC his builds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WildCat1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I apologize, I meant the barrel extension. The guy had pinned it so the right feed ramp was in the 7 o'clock position (approximately) and the left feed ramp was in the 9 o'clock position. It took me some time to figure out why the rounds wouldn't feed into the chamber. It was very clear he didn't QC his builds. </div></div>

Got ya, I couldn't figure out how you could mess up a barrel nut. Then again, I'd have said it would be hard to mess up getting the whole barrel straight, too... How do you not notice the gas port isn't on the top?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">chpprguy, I just realized your the same person as in the other thread, sorry if I've been repeating myself.

okie </div></div>

Not at all,
I appreciate the input...