• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS SASS / RRA 308 free float handguards

WKR

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2012
NE Texas
Looking for some info, I have a RRA .308 AR with the free float handguard ( tube ) and I would like to replace it with a DPMS SASS quadrail, I don't know if the RRA and DPMS uppers are threaded the same for the quadrail to be compatible with the RRA, I could probably remove the factory one and try the SASS but it's a very accurate rifle and I rather not mess with it if it's not going to work on it.
Thanks!

You might want to consider the difference in weight if weight is a concern for you.

jdr724 weight is not an issue really, the SASS quadrail is actually not very heavy at all, the reason I want to swap it is to be able to install a light for night hunting, I had the parts for a DPMS SASS upper on back order for ever and I just got the quadrail, upper, barrel and muzzle brake but while I was waiting on it I bought a complete LR-308 24" rifle with an extra 16" upper so I may not use those parts anymore and I like the DPMS SASS quadrail a lot better than the round tube on the RRA and was hoping that someone had already swapped them or tried and had some info.
Thanks!

The DPMS handguard/rail is NOT compatible with the LAR-8. RRA went with a different thread depth on their receivers/barrel nuts than other mfgs and while you MAY get away with using a different mounting system/rail, it is inadvisable to do so and could cause you problems in the long run.

If you want a quad rail setup for your RRA, you've got:

1) Daniel Defense 7.62 Lite rails with the proper RRA-mount barrel nut (https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/7-62-lite-rail/7-62-lite-railtm-12-0-rifle.html ); OR

2) RRA's own quad rails ( Rock River Arms: RRA LAR-8 Quad Rails ).

Good luck!

Thanks ORD, that's what I was afraid of, I'll check the links you posted and go from there, I appreciate the help!

jp rifle also makes a free float hand guard for the rock river arms and you have the option of adding or removing rails as they are needed