• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dracos 6.5 creedmoor

White Mamba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
Sonoma county, CA
Put together a 6.5 with the new Dracos barrel on a Mega set. The guys at Dracos were great to deal with and the barrel shoots awesome with the standard 42.5 H4350 load. I used my ratty old hornady brass to load test with so im sure new brass that was prepped correctly would give better results.
FpHnl3c.jpg

Heres a couple at 100yrds
L5UeHk9.jpg

GQnF9s9.jpg

Heres 2 at 300yrs and 1.2 mil which was high and off paper
PN17JCU.jpg

so 3 at 300yrds and 1mil
XwiM38Z.jpg

I have about 60rds through it now and its time for one more cleaning and test that lifetime guarantee out!

Looks good. Just got mine put together the other night. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. image_70161.jpg

Nice looking rifles guys.
I will be watching this thread. Very curious how you guys get along with the Dracos barrel.

Looks great, but accuracy testing should he done 5x5 or 3x10, three shot groups don't show much of anything.

First weekend out with the new gun and the gun ran fantastic. Here is a my best cherry picked group of five rounds, so far so good. I hope to get some more rounds down range soon with a little better sample of groupings. 20170909_180333_resized.jpg

Are you guys running their Falkor Adjustable BCG? Or some other kind of adjustable BCG? Or doing all your tuning with the barrel adjustment?

Just the adjustment on the barrel (still playing around with it). I do have a JP Heavy Silent Capture Spring for a buffer. It cycled flawlessly for the first time out but was ejecting the brass forward. So still some tinkering needed. The gun is shooting reliably now so I hate to mess with it but I'd like the brass to eject at 3 instead of 1.

First weekend out with the new gun and the gun ran fantastic. Here is a my best cherry picked group of five rounds, so far so good. I hope to get some more rounds down range soon with a little better sample of groupings.

Nice!
I just run a regular BCG. Tried the JP silent capture and had problems, put in a normal buffer and it runs like a champ

That was my next step in the trial period, I have a standard buffer in the drawer. I'll give it a shot and see if the ejection is more to the 3 o'clock position.

I'm at that range now testing the JP SCS Gen2 AR10 version with the heaviest spring. I also have to of their Tungsten weights but have not installed them.

I have always run a JP rifle length buffer spring and DPMS 308 rifle buffer in my large frame semis. That's 2 different 6.5cm semis and 2 different 308 semis.

Here's my initial impression. I am amazed how well it works. I ignored the SCS craze for years since my normal rifle buffer setup worked. I installed it with the heaviest spring and closed my gas block then opened till it locked back reliably on last round. I don't have a single swipe, mark, or scratch on any case heads. I don't have the typical scratch/gouge on the case neck. I am very happy with the SCS. I would say felt recoil seems a little more than my standard rifle bigger setup but not much more. The trade off for perfect brass is ok by me.

I'm at that range now testing the JP SCS Gen2 AR10 version with the heaviest spring. I also have to of their Tungsten weights but have not installed them.

I have always run a JP rifle length buffer spring and DPMS 308 rifle buffer in my large frame semis. That's 2 different 6.5cm semis and 2 different 308 semis.

Here's my initial impression. I am amazed how well it works. I ignored the SCS craze for years since my normal rifle buffer setup worked. I installed it with the heaviest spring and closed my gas block then opened till it locked back reliably on last round. I don't have a single swipe, mark, or scratch on any case heads. I don't have the typical scratch/gouge on the case neck. I am very happy with the SCS. I would say felt recoil seems a little more than my standard rifle bigger setup but not much more. The trade off for perfect brass is ok by me.

Welcome to the club, are you running the JP LMAS BCG??

Did you try running it as from the factory?

Last edited:
I am running JP LMOS with JP HP Enhanced bolt. I am running it how it comes from JP, which is configured with the heaviest spring they make.

I just have the original SCS, never tried the gen 2 or knew they had new springs. Ive had good luck with them in some ar15s but hit or miss with my ar10s

I am running JP LMOS with JP HP Enhanced bolt. I am running it how it comes from JP, which is configured with the heaviest spring they make.

With that combo you should be running perfect, I've tried running the tungsten weights and it opens up the group if you're not using a full Mass BCG.

I have the Heavy JP SCS and I'm running a full mass bcg ? Recoil seemed minimal. What advantages are there with going to the LMOS with HP jp bolt? im thinking of just getting the JP HP bolt and using the full mass bcg still. I'm thinking to help with the ejections at one o'clock maybe dropping the tungsten weights for steel. Also adjusting the gas block on the dracos doesn't seem to change the ejection pattern or operation no matter where I adjust it. It runs reliablely, locking back on last round just ejecting forward instead of at 3 oclock. I am running it supressed through a Ultra 7. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Dracos is one sexy barrel! I'm waiting to shoot out my Krieger to swap in a Dracos been trying to get a green or blue barrel but theyve been sold out the past year ive been checking.

I have the Heavy JP SCS and I'm running a full mass bcg ? Recoil seemed minimal. What advantages are there with going to the LMOS with HP jp bolt? im thinking of just getting the JP HP bolt and using the full mass bcg still. I'm thinking to help with the ejections at one o'clock maybe dropping the tungsten weights for steel. Also adjusting the gas block on the dracos doesn't seem to change the ejection pattern or operation no matter where I adjust it. It runs reliablely, locking back on last round just ejecting forward instead of at 3 oclock. I am running it supressed through a Ultra 7. Thoughts would be appreciated.

As far as full weight BCG and heavy SCS you're not going to feel much of a difference in Recoil impulse since they are tuned to run with each other, but it will make it more reliable if you like to run them really dirty.

Sorry missed that part about running suppressed .. The benefits of the HP Bolt is, it gives you a little bit more tolerance for higher pressure loads and is quite literally mandatory for a 6.5CM or a 6CM, you have an outstanding setup and I wouldn't cheapen it by just using a standard full Mass BCG I would run the new JP VMOS BCG, revolutionized how AR run suppressed. I honestly have no idea how the adjustment on the draco's barrels work, they refer to it as a dwell time adjustment not a gas adjuster. You do have one other option as well you can combine in your setup Rubber City Armory and I think Sun Devil Makes a adjustable gas key for small and large BCG.

Last edited:
Like I've said before the gun is running fine, cycling every round and locking back on last round every time I'm just being picky and maybe I shouldn't be.
Falkor has a high pressure bcg with adjustable gas key as well but I'm afraid adding more complexity to the system can be great when it's running great but a nightmare when it's not. I'm thinking I'll live with the forward ejection for now and just swap out the bolt for now. Maybe in the future I'll play around with that new jp vmos bcg. Thanks for your thoughts bigjake83.

Like I've said before the gun is running fine, cycling every round and locking back on last round every time I'm just being picky and maybe I shouldn't be.
Falkor has a high pressure bcg with adjustable gas key as well but I'm afraid adding more complexity to the system can be great when it's running great but a nightmare when it's not. I'm thinking I'll live with the forward ejection for now and just swap out the bolt for now. Maybe in the future I'll play around with that new jp vmos bcg. Thanks for your thoughts bigjake83.

The reason I asked about the Falkor BCG is that I have a Falkor Alpha in 308 with the adjustable BCG. It has a proof carbon fiber 308 barrel in it. I switched to a carbine length stock (t-rex arms) so I'm also running a Slash Heavy Carbine AR10 buffer. Brass isn't as pristine as out of a bolt gun, but still looks good nonetheless. After playing with the BCG i'm getting great 3 to 4 o'clock ejection, no problems feeding, locking back on empty, etc. I'm thinking about getting a Dracos 6.5CM barrel for my gun, and am wondering if just the adjustment on the barrel is enough to make the brass do what I want and cycle everything properly.

The reason I asked about the Falkor BCG is that I have a Falkor Alpha in 308 with the adjustable BCG. It has a proof carbon fiber 308 barrel in it. I switched to a carbine length stock (t-rex arms) so I'm also running a Slash Heavy Carbine AR10 buffer. Brass isn't as pristine as out of a bolt gun, but still looks good nonetheless. After playing with the BCG i'm getting great 3 to 4 o'clock ejection, no problems feeding, locking back on empty, etc. I'm thinking about getting a Dracos 6.5CM barrel for my gun, and am wondering if just the adjustment on the barrel is enough to make the brass do what I want and cycle everything properly.

I spoke with a representative from Dracos today and he was very helpful. BigJake83 was correct the only way to adjust the gas is with an adjustable gas key on your bcg. Sun Devil actually makes the adjustable gas key for Falkor and was recommended by the representative. The adjustment on the barrel is for dwell time adjustment only as is stated in the barrel description on the website. The rep suggested closing the adjustment screw all the way in and adjust out a half turn until the group's start to open up and then move back a quarter turn to get the optimal dwell time. Kind of similar to adjusting gas blocks and gas keys sounds like.

I spoke with a representative from Dracos today and he was very helpful. BigJake83 was correct the only way to adjust the gas is with an adjustable gas key on your bcg. Sun Devil actually makes the adjustable gas key for Falkor and was recommended by the representative. The adjustment on the barrel is for dwell time adjustment only as is stated in the barrel description on the website. The rep suggested closing the adjustment screw all the way in and adjust out a half turn until the group's start to open up and then move back a quarter turn to get the optimal dwell time. Kind of similar to adjusting gas blocks and gas keys sounds like.

Yeah, this sucks, I hoped they would have an AGB on that barrel from Dracos. I have an MWS that I used an adjustable gas key for and the thing gets supper dirty faster than normal suppressed with an AGB. Using my other rifles for comparison.

I use the VMOS on my JP with the detent AGB and it runs great, brass is pristine. No swipes or issues, runs much cleaner too as JP claimed to be the case, they were right.

Did you use the geissele reaction rod to torque the barrel on? I've noticed mega arms recommends the geissele so I bought one for my build and it will not fit in the dracos barrel, anybody else run in to this??

Did you use the geissele reaction rod to torque the barrel on? I've noticed mega arms recommends the geissele so I bought one for my build and it will not fit in the dracos barrel, anybody else run in to this??

I did not use a reaction rod, I just used a normal upper block clamped into a bench vise. I like the idea of the reaction rod but the price tag, given the amount of uppers I plan on assembling (maybe one or two) is cost prohibitive.

Thanks to this thread I have been on the Dracos site daily this week waiting for a sale. Luckily i looked this morning and they are on sale for $680, got one in stock now they are only available for back order. cant wit to put it all together.

Looking forward to your build, we'd love to see accuracy testing and barrel life impressions further down the road.

White mamba and WYO09 really like the build's just curious what hand guards are you guys running

Just ordered the same barrel for my MSR10. Excited to see someone with good results. Can you post any additional groups at distance? And maybe i missed it, but how much H4350 are you running? I will check for pressure in my rig to be sure but have run up to 43g before deciding to use Varget in my current 18" barrel. The Dracos on order is just like yours at 22".