• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Drag bag

rlh2

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2010
Texas
www.christianofficers.com
I used the "search" feature but came up empty handed. Does anyone know how to make a drag bag? I'm going to a sniper school in April and need a canvas drag bag for stalking exercises. I don't want an after market range case that is called a drag bag. I want to make it. Any help?

Re: Drag bag

I found nothing in searching either, mostly sales, with a few reviews.

I would say that you should start by looking at some of the successful designs, like LBT, Arktis or Eagle. I always liked the looks of the LBT myself, but I haven't used it. I don't know if they are still available as I remember them.

Anyway, start there, and modify it to suit your needs/wants/aesthetic.

Arktis reviewed here

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1615028

LBT

http://webgear.londonbridgetrading.com/m...48-A60E2C3A70D3

Eagle

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=363&cat=0&page=1

Take a look at the blackhawk stalker drag mat, I used one for all my stalking. It is not nearly as big as most other drag bags but can still hold everyrhing you really need on a stalk. At the price you could get one of these for it is probably not worthwhile attempting to build your own especially considering considering the time you would put into making one.

Stalker Drag Mat

I have the Blackhawk stalker drag bag. Seems to do the job well and it is very basic.

Lee.

Thanks guys. But what I'm really looking for is some kind of "drag bag" like what the military snipers make in sniper school. I believe that they pretty much just make a sleeve out of canvas and slide the rifle down in it. Any military boys out there that can help me out?

As far as i am aware snipers dont make drag bags any more thats all in the past, as far as British snipers go they are issued arktis or accuracy international drag bags.

Military snipers don't make drag bags in sniper school. The drag bag I recommended is the one I used in sniper school. What I have seen some people do is cut the legs off old cammies sew them together and put canvas on one side as you would with a ghillie, but this is not something that is taught in school. Also as I said before that would take a good ammount of time, also in order for it to offer the same level of protection for your rifle and optics as a purpose built drag bag it may mean investing more in materials than it would cost to buy one off the Internet. But if you feel the need to do some arts and crafts go for it.

Depends on your budget. if you are using it for stalking at the army sniper school and are trying to do it on the cheap. I'd go with a M1950 weapons case from a miltary surplus store and modify it(sew on pockets, net w. jute, etc.)make sure you sew the lanyard to the top of the case, and split open the top of the case. If you want pictures of what I did to mine I can try and post some. It wasn't pretty, but it got me through school.

You could go with a nice one from blackhawk or Galati if you've got the cash. but you might want to wait until after school for that. I had high-speed guys in my class who had the aforementioned galati drag-bags with the shooter's mat. but weren't allowed to use them on the range. And they didn't use them for the stalks anyway, as we were given the choice to carry our guns or put them in drag bags (only if you brought your own gun.)

I'd recommend going with a voodoo tactical for school. you can get them for pretty cheap. Just remember,the more pockets it has, the more s#%t you will be tempted to put in it. They can get heavy quick!!

I was going to suggest the old weapons jump case but short_bus beat me to it. Get a hold of one and mod. as needed.

As VC said, drag bags are currently issued at sniper school. However the M1950 weapons case with Mods is a great drag bag, Felt pad for carpet makes a great liner. Ensure there are pockets big enough to easily remove a set of issue bino's, and a pocket for accessories such as a saw, pruning shears rubber bands or hair ties and netting. Would highly suggest a cylindrical pocket for a Camera tripod as well. As you can see the time spent at a machine adds up quick but quality worksmanship is a must, these things take a beating and easy access is a must when the eyes are looking for you, cant be flopping around trying to get items out of a bag. I would suggest using the issued bag, then when you have figured out what works, and where... building the "perfect" drag bag for yourself.
If you are still going in April I would suggest looking at buying a high quality Camera Tripod such as a Manfroto. There is nothing worse than taking a shot a watching a tripod break, creating all sorts of movement, losing your loophole, only to achive a "No Go" or get busted. If its not you... pretty funny, if its you, you'll curse yourself for not spending the $175.

I guess what I'm trying to say is wait on the drag bag, spend your time sewing on your ghille, get someone WHO KNOWS show you how to get into a loophole, rucking, and studying.