• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Drag Variability Reduction Technology

This is interesting, and confirms my experience with shooting the current
or pre DVRT Hornady's ELDs. Every month I shoot steel matches out to 1k. We all kind of know who's shooting what bullet, and the caliber is posted next to the shooter.

You don't see the ELD in the very top because to get that high of a score, you have to shoot very small targets for higher point values. A guy once told me (that wins often) not to use the ELDs because he shot those for a entire year, and his score was much lower on average. He switched back to Bergers and went right back up, same caliber.

I went to Bergers and increased dramatically, beating all of my scores with the ELDs...ever. There are some variables, but I take this as my personal evidence that confirms results Hornady explains in their video with vertical spread. There is just too much variation in poi. I know, I know, wind is always ever present to complicate results, but usually that explains the left and right vs upper or lower misses.

All that to say, I want to like the Hornady ELD and I'm not trying to bash them, but I feel like I'm leaving down range accuracy on the table by using them. Berger and Sierra seem to have this figured out with a more "flat tip ".

I'll try some DVRTs and see if results align more with my Berger Hybrids.

They say multiple times in their podcast that they have been doing this for around 5 years with all bullets using the ‘heat shield tip’, and the ‘A-max’ A-TIP.
Edited for correction.

Since 2018.
Just now going public since patents are now in place.
Seems like if it was so earth shattering then the results would have made themselves manifest?

Last edited:
They say multiple times in their podcast that they have been doing this for around 5 years with all bullets using the ‘heat shield tip’, and the ‘A-max’. Since 2018.
Seems like if it was so earth shattering then the results would have made themselves manifest?
Exactly. Just another marketing gimmick.

They say multiple times in their podcast that they have been doing this for around 5 years with all bullets using the ‘heat shield tip’, and the ‘A-max’. Since 2018.
Well, I guess I've probably tried the newer design then. That's discouraging.

Well, I guess I've probably tried the newer design then. That's discouraging.
Maybe. Maybe not.

I have some A-tips I went and looked at, they are Not this way, they are very pointy. But I probably bought them before 2018. Don’t remember.

Edit cause I was wrong. I have A-MAX

Last edited:
Shot to shot drag variability was being discussed by serious LR shooters many years ago. I think Bryan Litz even mentions it in the 2nd edition of Applied Ballistics for Long-Range Shooting (Copyright 2011).

The reason very few paid attention was (my opinion) the difficulty in measuring it. Basically had to have Radar or a way to measure MV and time of flight or MV and downrange velocity (not as easy as it sounds).

Now we have consumer-level radar units that will record downrange velocity (if you shoot close enough to them). We also have the Oehler System '89 to measure time of flight.

The System '89 didn't really take off in popularity as much as was expected. My opinion is that most people don't want to fool with skyscreens and long spacings.

All that has changed (or is about to). The software for the '89 has been modified. It will now allow you to put a microphone near the muzzle, put instruments downrange, fire a shot, manually input a MV and, using atmospherics and TOF, will calculate BC on every shot.

Therefore, you can see the BC variability. You can also use it to calibrate a radar measured drag function.

The hassles of skyscreens are no more! This system may not be as easy as shooting over someone's big radar system but it is the next best thing.

Has Hornady figured out a way to reduce shot to shot drag variability? I don't know. What I do know is that tools currently exist for the enthusiast to find out.

Two radar chronographs = $1,200 or the System '89 is about $3,000.

The two chronograph system requires you to hand-jam the info for each shot, gather and summarize the data. It also requires you to be able to see the downrange chronograph display so that you are certain you have the correct data match (downrange cameras, iPhone on Facetime, etc). The downrange eqpt. also needs some sort of protection or is in jeapordy. Distance becomes a problem though I know of it having been done at 800 meters. They got some good data and only shot one unit (they have a big budget so, no worries).

The System '89 spits out data within seconds of the shot, produces a report at the end of testing, has a broad target area and has been used successfully at 2 miles.

Looks like technology advancements are going to continue to make the future exciting.

On a personal note, I've been using skyscreen chronographs for 45 years or more. The first one I used had paper screens - had to be replaced every shot. I thought the light screens were a great advancement. With the normal lifespan of electronic stuff, I think light screens had "a pretty good run".

I won't miss them, though.

Exactly. Just another marketing gimmick.

He didn't notice (or say why) what was causing the difference but it's real. The difference was round vs. flat meplat, nothing to do with component/ammo bullets.

1716763211727.png

Reactions: st1650
Maybe. Maybe not.

I have some A-tips I went and looked at, they are Not this way, they are very pointy. But I probably bought them before 2018. Don’t remember.

A-tips have always had a flat. It's not a huge flat. .030-.040" depending on caliber.

You can get the same consistency effect by trimming BTHP's, but the real magic is in the ratio to get the lowest possible drag while maintaining the consistency. With BTHP/OTM bullets you're always going to have more net drag than a tipped bullet.

A-tips have always had a flat. It's not a huge flat. .030-.040" depending on caliber.

You can get the same consistency effect by trimming BTHP's, but the real magic is in the ratio to get the lowest possible drag while maintaining the consistency. With BTHP/OTM bullets you're always going to have more net drag than a tipped bullet.
Thanks for the correction.
I was being dyslexic. I have A-MAX.

haha! Sorry.

IMG_1271.jpeg