• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Draw stroke and presentation?'s

Cserv

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
wherever I may roam...
So since the wife and kids are gone for a month, I have been trying to work on drawing and presenting my pistol every evening after work. My questions are; when reaching for the pistol I tend to bring my weakside hand across to the center of my chest as my shoulders rotate to the right dropping my weakside shoudr in the process. I have noticed if I either step forward with my weakside foot or back with the stong side my presentation seems smoother. Does this sound right? Also when pushing out with the pistol, I try to pick up my front sight as soon as clear my body and maintain it all the way through the push. when completely on target, I notice that my elbows are not completely "locked" out. It seems if they are it rolls them in and seems awkward and uncomfortable. Does this seem right or am I over thinking it?
Thumbs are pointed to the target,chin is down between shoulders,knees are bent, am almost in a good fighting stance, except both arms are extended. Just want to make sure I am not getting sloppy. Thanks for any input.

Eric

Arguments can be made about stance, elbow, and extension positions. In the end, I find that what is most comfortable if it works for you is important. I like strong foot back half a step to simulate a fighter's stance. But what is key is consistency. Whatever you settle on, do it the same. For extension reach practice, try positioning the tip of your pistol against a wall just barely missing it in the correct position. Then repeat slowly against a wall coming to the same point and extension each time - barely missing the wall. When it's consistent, slowly increase speed until full speed is comfortable with reproducible end positions each time. Then move away from the wall and do same.

If you watch some top IPSC/USPSA competitors they are sending their first round down range as soon as they pick up their sight picture before their arms are fully pressed out.