• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Dremel tool on Rem 700 feed lip

JB02

CDR
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2011
    Northern VA
    I just bought a dremel tool to file down the feed lip on my Rem 700 SA so I can load rounds longer than 2.900".

Before going to town, I was wondering if any of you had any tips to pass on? I've never needed to use a dremel tool before.

My dremel tool a basic handheld version that was $38 at wal-mart.

Thanks!

Re: Dremel tool on Rem 700 feed lip

Leave it in the box. There are better tools to not make a big mess with.

Could not have said it better.

there are better tools but the dremel will work. even if you were to use a mill, you might still need your dremel to feather into the feed ramp some. its not a hard operation and you would be very unlikely to mess it up if you go slow. use the 80 grit sanding drum. it works much better than the steel or stone. all you should have to do is find center and go straight in. no problem.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leave it in the box. There are better tools to not make a big mess with. </div></div>

The piece I'm looking the shave down is the scallop looking protrusion at the forward (front) end of the magazine well ... the feed ramp. What tool would you recommend? I am not really interested in buying a milling machine for this job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there are better tools but the dremel will work. even if you were to use a mill, you might still need your dremel to feather into the feed ramp some. its not a hard operation and you would be very unlikely to mess it up if you go slow. use the 80 grit sanding drum. it works much better than the steel or stone. all you should have to do is find center and go straight in. no problem.

chuck</div></div>

Thanks for the tip!

I used a 1/4 inch round file and it came out looking like it came from the factory that way. Use the file and keep the dremel for other stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used a 1/4 inch round file and it came out looking like it came from the factory that way. Use the file and keep the dremel for other stuff.</div></div>

Ok, I think I'll follow this advice.

just a thought - the top of that feed ramp is the surface that the bolt lug mates with when the bolt is rotated and locked. That surface at 6 o'clock and the one at 12 o'clock bear all the psi from firing the round. You dont want to "shave" or grind this surface very much. If anything you want to lightly polish the area. Good luck with your project

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LT JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a dremel tool to file down the feed lip on my Rem 700 SA so I can load rounds longer than 2.900".

Before going to town, I was wondering if any of you had any tips to pass on? I've never needed to use a dremel tool before.

My dremel tool a basic handheld version that was $38 at wal-mart.

Thanks! </div></div>

Research the cheapest place to buy a new action and/or your closest gunsmith for when you ruin your Remington action. Kitchen gunsmiffin' is what ruins 99% of all good firearms!

Let a Pro handle that for you!

I'm going to agree with KYS338. Your rifle action is not a good break in for a Dremel tool. They are real easy to lose control of and a no-no with firearms. You are going to end up with a Red Jacket edition rifle and you don't want that. Skip the round files too. The correct fix is to have your chamber set back so you can reach the lands at magazine length, or find a load that doesn't mind a jump. Sierras are good for this.

Yea I love to see the "LET A PRO HANDLE IT" comment

I have a springfield 1911 9mm that a well known gunsmith (one thats been in magazines) TOTALLY DESTROYED for me

Little advice on the Dremel
    I grew up porting and polishing heads with a die grinder and carbide burrs.... the guy that taught me gave me the same advice Ill give you on the dremel....

find a piece of metal and practice on it.... for about an hour and LEARN what the hell youre doing.

A dremel is no different than any other tool learn to use it and youre fine.

If youre not mechanically inclined stay the hell away from it.

Personally Im a mechanic and woodworker and I see people tear up all kinds of things and they dont need anything as complicated as a rotary grinding tool to do it.

Kid came in the shop yesterday holding a socket with a lug nut stuck in it. he was using a 7/8" socket to remove 3/4 lug nuts.
    "Well its the right size cause it worked"

$25K worth of snapon and mac tools and he cant spend the time to get the right size ####### socket....
    If that describes you or if you only own 1 flat head and one phillips head screwdriver and think thats all you need.
    or if you have NO PATIENCE

Take the dremel back.
    Larry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Larrys1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea I love to see the "LET A PRO HANDLE IT" comment

I have a springfield 1911 9mm that a well known gunsmith (one thats been in magazines) TOTALLY DESTROYED for me

Little advice on the Dremel
    I grew up porting and polishing heads with a die grinder and carbide burrs.... the guy that taught me gave me the same advice Ill give you on the dremel....

find a piece of metal and practice on it.... for about an hour and LEARN what the hell youre doing.

A dremel is no different than any other tool learn to use it and youre fine.

If youre not mechanically inclined stay the hell away from it.

Personally Im a mechanic and woodworker and I see people tear up all kinds of things and they dont need anything as complicated as a rotary grinding tool to do it.

Kid came in the shop yesterday holding a socket with a lug nut stuck in it. he was using a 7/8" socket to remove 3/4 lug nuts.
    "Well its the right size cause it worked"

$25K worth of snapon and mac tools and he cant spend the time to get the right size ####### socket....
    If that describes you or if you only own 1 flat head and one phillips head screwdriver and think thats all you need.
    or if you have NO PATIENCE

Take the dremel back.
    Larry

</div></div>

I cant help that an idiot ruined your pistol....

1. We are not talking 1911's here, we are talking bolt action rifle
    2. You cant argue with the esteemed reputation of MANY gunsmiths that are here on the hide. They can get it done.

If you don't go with a pro, I'd recommend the previous suggestion of using a file.

Die grinders, such as the Dremel can get pretty aggressive very quickly if you're not really, really used to using one.

You can take it off, but you can't put it back on.

A file may be tedious and slow, but it's methodical and very controllable.

Are you talking about so you can run the Alpha type II mags?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Larrys1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea I love to see the "LET A PRO HANDLE IT" comment

</div></div>

I cant help that an idiot ruined your pistol....

1. We are not talking 1911's here, we are talking bolt action rifle
    2. You cant argue with the esteemed reputation of MANY gunsmiths that are here on the hide. They can get it done.
    </div></div>

Nope you cant, and I didnt ask you too. simply stating a fact.

1. trying to figure out where that changes anything in the conversation?
    2. Dont recall arguing with anyone over anything.

Larry

I did one on a drill press, with the action clamped in a jig. Freehanding it with other than a round file would be too risky.

Did this with a Dremel with the sanding drum. Is this what your talking about?

Jamiesgun015-1.jpg

If you want to extend magazine well for longer cartridges remove metal from the back of the well,shorten bolt stop and purchase a wyatt extended box( they come with instructions) the front of the well is also there for the recoil of the bolt on a remington it is already marginal so you should never remove metal from that end another reason is if you screwup on the back and remove to much metal you can add it back by tig welding on the front you would have to re-heat treat if you wanted to add metal back.

photo.php

photo.php

Came out just fine. Measured, measured again, and measured a third time. Borrowed a friend's dremel with adjustable speed and took the cheap POS back to walmart. Used a sharpie and painters tape for markings (the chips in the finishing is from assembling the rifle only 3 days after duracoating it).

Yes jlaw973, this action is being modified so I could use alpha 2 mags and load longer rounds, and my action now looks very similar to yours. The little scallop piece wasn't doing anything but taking up space. Now it's flush with the bottom metal.

Thanks for everyone on this thread that gave me techniques for using the dremel to get this job done.

To all those that suggested a professional gunsmith ... if a good one lived within an hour of me I would have considered it. But, I wasn't about to spend $200 bucks for a 30 minutes job (at most) to ship it. This was a job that many people have discussed online about doing to their action that I felt it was worth the risk to do the job myself.

Either the best or worst words a Smith can hear: "I just cleaned it up a bit with my Dremel".
    Either way I am making money.
    Next to rust and politicians their improper use has destroyed just as many firearms.

It works great! All I need now is one of those type 2 alpha mags to get my bullet to the right OAL.

Glad it worked out

yea you need a decent dremel
    then after youve spent some on that you also need to buy the flexible shaft for it and hang it above you.

THEN when you get really rich and brave you can buy a Foredom like all the "Pros" use.... The cool thing is

Foredom tools will NOT screw up anything cause they are a "pro tool" Neither will Lathes or Mills or surface grinders etc.

The difference between a good smith and a bad one is...
    when a good smith screws up... they fix it or get it to someone that can.

Larry