• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Drilling - 3 barrel combo?

SkyScrapin

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Dallas, TX
strictlyoffensivekit.com
Perhaps it's nostalgia or the jack-of-all-trades curb appeal; I'm considering a Drilling. Looking at various 3 barrel combination guns, typically shot gun, large bore, and small bore configurations. The interwebs has all sort of them, most of them made in Europe. Most of the calibers they're chambered in aren't all that appealing to me. Would prefer a 12g/20g/16g, 243win-3006, and likely a .22lr-.223rem for small stuff.

Anyone know of a stateside manufacturer?

Would it better to look at the used market?

Any particular does and donts?

Ahhhhh...I also went down this rabbit hole a year or two ago. Didn't really find any great options (at least in my price range). Obscure rifle chamberings, and a lot of shorter shotshell chambers in the older stuff. Most of what I was able to find was via auction, or used at Cabelas (somewhat surprising). Certainly some beautiful pieces out there, and some junkers as well, just nothing quite in that sweet spot. Good luck with your search.

I don’t know of any stateside triple bore combinations, but there have been several over under combinations produced throughout the last hundred years. Baikal makes some decent two barrel combinations, they have slightly better fit and finish than most H&R handi-rifles, brother in-law had a 12 gauge/ .30-06 and liked it though it wasn’t very good as a shotgun or very accurate as a rifle. Good enough for a southeastern deer and several ducks. Then there’s the savage 24 line that was available in a variety of rifle/shotgun calibers and has a good following, anything fancier and you’re probably looking at used European stuff for $1500-2500.

Make sure it’s chambered in a common caliber/gauge and confirmed!!! Nothing like buying one that’s marked 9.3x74 and find out it’s some oddball .318 that looks like a slim 30-30. Best bet for quality vs cost is the ones made in the 50’s. Earlier ones were usually oddball chambered. I like mine but they are more novelty then actually useful. If your in a place though where you have a the possibility of jumping a deer or a pheasant out of brush they may be handy. Exceptional engineering and workmanship nevertheless.

Yeah - it's a want, but I could see where it would be most useful Turkey hunting with harassing coyotes. Ideally I would leave it open or put a 1x or 2x optic on it.

Preston, Try and find yourself a Valmet 412. It's a 12ga./.223 and is one of the best firearms for turkey season. 12ga. for the close work and .223 if he hangs up on you 😉. The .223 comes in handy also for that coyote or bobcat that comes charging in from behind when you're not expecting it!

Reactions: SkyScrapin
There’s a company that sells nice used imports. I know a barrel sleeve that makes say a medium bore a 22 Hornet is fairly pricey but some have them already which is something that’ll add value. If my memory is good, a Nice quality, serviceable Drilling was a little under $1900 for a better known maker in a known caliber. Mostly euro calibers as they hunt a lot of mixed bag vs us in the US. At least I’ve been Told that’s part of their popularity. I’ve considered one many times and really like the engraving, etc. along with utility. I’ve heard most are fairly heavy though so that’s a consideration. You’d give up some of how a nice shotgun points or the lighter carry of a dedicated Rimfire/small bore, etc.

Think Krieghoff May have been the one I was considering. It was slightly higher than others but had a few long forgotten features I wanted. On another site, there’s a guy that hunts them pretty exclusively throughout the US

I have one. 16 gauge double barrels, and 8x57 rifled barrel.

have a J P Sauer & Son (imported by Colt). 12ga S/S with .243 under. It's a hand me down family gun. My cousin has the "Vierling" Four barrel gun, Over/ under 12ga, 7mm center fire down the right side and 22 Lr down the left side, also a hand me down family gun

I've at one time or another owned about 200 drillings and other assorted combo guns. I traded and upgraded all along the way for about 60 years. My now favorite hunting rig is a later type Kreighoff Trumpf Dural in 16 and 7X65R, essentially a rimmed 280 Rem. It's topped with a 1.5-6 Zeiss in claw mounts.
LOGXgtX.jpg

Z9Tcuf7.jpg

I'll post some more photos of others I have along my way here. This is a shot of what is here now, or was here until recently:

utwswBE.jpg