• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Drilling into HS Precision stock???

I’d say install the spigot anyway, unless you’re now set on selling it. JB Weld sets up friggin stiff, and I think it’ll hold up to loading normal bipod loads
the thing that is in the way is the aluminum support inside the forearm is actually thinner (like flat bar) than the actual spigot. So don't think it will drill without major issues as the spigot needs to be about dead center of that brace. I could have a channel milled out of the stock deep enough going down from the barrel channel to just set the spigot into pace and then fill with jb weld or whatever. Like lloyd x2 had just mentioned. I fear that would vastly weaken the forearm though. idk. just kind of a bummer its not going to be so simple as just drill and install. Im currently shopping other stock options. Sad though as i did not buy this rifle with any intention of swapping the HS off the rifle.

Send the stock and spigot to HS Precision and have them install it.
At least give them a call

Send the stock and spigot to HS Precision and have them install it.
At least give them a call
sent them an email. never got a response. I suppose it won't hurt to call them tomorrow. Im betting they do not do this level of custom work though.

Reactions: GONE BAD
I’d actually say that if the aluminum is that thin, it isn’t providing that much stiffening anyway. Esp if the wide face is on the top/bottom instead of left/right. Basically, if it’s a thin strip, it’ll only really add stiffness in the same plane that the strip would lie flat in; another way right describe it, since I’m doing a bad job of it, is that it only adds stiffness in the directions you couldn’t easily bend it by hand.

A 3/8” tube of JB Weld with a steel rod core will be much stiffer than a 1/8” thick strip of aluminum.

Reactions: lloydx2
I’d actually say that if the aluminum is that thin, it isn’t providing that much stiffening anyway. Esp if the wide face is on the top/bottom instead of left/right. Basically, if it’s a thin strip, it’ll only really add stiffness in the same plane that the strip would lie flat in; another way right describe it, since I’m doing a bad job of it, is that it only adds stiffness in the directions you couldn’t easily bend it by hand.

A 3/8” tube of JB Weld with a steel rod core will be much stiffer than a 1/8” thick strip of aluminum.
i agree completely. I think it might get thicker as it goes towards the action but idk. The more i handle the HS Precision stock, the less impressed i am with it. It looks nice, but i'm tempted to buy another Choate and inlet it for my bottom metal. Just to do a side by side comparison. I remember the Choate being as rigid as a chassis. The HS is ok, just don't see $500 worth of rifle stock here. Really frustrating the lack of savage long action stocks available. I honestly miss the hand hook on the lower part of the butstock. The boyds on my B22 has it, i know my old Choate had it, but the HS does not. Makes it feel like something is missing. That and the HS feels about 1" short. I know i can fix that but damn. For me that is a LOT of shortcomings for a stock with its reputation. Had i bought the stock separate i would have sent it back by now. I really liked it at first, but the more i handle it, the less i do.

I might finish installing the spigot after talking with a machinist friend of mine. He says he has some ideas. If i do i'll add a spacer to the recoil pad that is drilled and tapped so that changing it will be more realistic. $500 stock and they glue the damn thing on. After spending some time with the HS stock i feel you buy a name for you money, not a product. You should have seen the work that was needed to clear the crap out of the bedding area before it could be properly bedded. I had a $160 promag archangel stock on my savage 6.5cm that i was honestly more impressed with. So far i've got quite a bit of buyers remorse

yeah who am i kidding, im not good at quitting lol.
so here is my current idea. let me know if anyone here thinks this will not work

i know where the aluminum is at this point as the swivel stud holes are drilled all the way thru to the barrel channel and the aluminum is the only part threaded for the screws. So pushing the screw in from the barrel channel and from under the stock confirms its about dead center. Only about 1/8th inch closer to the barrel channel, not leaving enough room to go above, or below the aluminum reinforcement. It will have to be embedded into the aluminum as well. That is why im thinking mill the channel (from the barrel channel side) instead of drilling/boring. This way i can leave about 1/8" of aluminum untouched to jb weld the spigot to. then drill and tap the spigot to accept the very same swivel studs. Fill in the channel and finish the stock cosmedicaly. Then the two swivel studs screw into the spigot bar, sandwiching at least some of the original aluminum support between the stock and spigot. So kinda double duty. I know a mill can accomplish this task in just a few minutes. the rest i can do at home. Currently this is my plan. Unless my machinist friend has a better idea

going to be a lot of work just for a bipod lol. But when you want something that does not exist.......

thinking about selling the HS Precision stock or trading for an Oryx Savage long action chassis. I know there are other options out there, i just don't care for them. So i'm strongly considering getting the Oryx, milling out the magwell to fit my CIP 3.85 magazine size (it is only cut for 3.715), installing my bipod spigot into the forend, and getting rid of the ugly green panels for some plain black ones. So far everyone i've bought the rifle to refuses to even give it a try out of fear of destroying the stock. Im quickly falling out of love with the stock anyway. So this might be the direction im headed with this build. $400 for a new Oryx. I can get that for my HS stock for sure.

This marks the end of this idea.
I ordered a ORYX chassis.
going to mill out the magwell .135" to accommodate the 3.85 CIP magazine, then embed the bipod spigot to the chassis like i had planned for the HS stock. Going to custom cerakote the aluminum part of the chassis and the barreled action in a semi-gloss black. Then hydroprint the ugly green plastic in a dark green/grey carbon fiber with a semi-gloss cerakote clear over the top.

I think this will be 100% what im wanting, and quite beautiful.

Once the ORYX arrives im thinking of selling the HS Precision tactical stock and savage CIP bottom metal. Just trying to figure out what both are currently worth.

prr0o4.jpg

cu6cnj.jpg

suppose this will be my last post on this tread. HS stock and bottom metal will be sold/traded for temporary glass (swfa temp mocked up) Oryx will be getting sent off to a machine shop to have the magwell opened up .135" for the 3.85 CIP 300PRC magazine and bored for the bipod spigot. Black panels will be ordered as well. LOVE the oryx compared to every other chassis i put in my hands. very comfortable. RIFLE IS HUGE

Well, you tried to make it work.
yeah. Would have looked and functioned really nice had it worked out. Just was not willing to risk destroying the stock for it. So far im pretty happy with the oryx. I actually find it to be more comfortable. Unlike other chassis i have felt.

v7sp7z.jpg

4ux3xy.jpg

s4qgoz.jpg

qe8e4c.jpg

dth95v.jpg

tqayd3.jpg

Honestly this setup is actually more comfortable off hand than the HS was. Kinda glad now, that the plans for the HS didn't work out.

(EDIT)
current set up until i can afford the MK5HD, spuhr mount, Badger rail. so for now its Warne Skyline 34mm medium and Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56
t3qhad.jpg

Last edited: