• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Drilling & taping a CZ452 for scope base mounting

gknittel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2007
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hello guys,
I'm about to drill and tap the holes on my CZ452 to be able to mount a scope base which uses 3 screws (6x48).
Since this is my first time doing this, I just want to make sure everything is ok.
I was able to get 3 HSS taps (one for each hole). Hardened to 60-63 RC.
Is this enough to cut the threads? Should I use a special lubricant?
Also, just out of curiosity, anyone knows the hardness of the CZ452 steel?

Thanks alot!

Re: Drilling & taping a CZ452 for scope base mounting

I drilled and tapped a CZ 550 base using a small drill press without any problems (I couldn't find any angled bases at the time) and it worked out just fine. I was concerned that the receiver would be hard, but I took my time, backed the tap out every 1/2 turn or so to make sure the cuttings were clear, and it turned out quite well.

Good luck.

Re: Drilling & taping a CZ452 for scope base mounting

When I bought the base, I didn't knew that I had to drill the action. It costed a lot of money and work to get that base so now I will keep it.
I will drill slowly using plenty of cutting oil and I will cut the threads very carefully, and using one fresh new tap for each hole to minimize the risk of getting something wrong.
Thank you all for the response!