• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Drink the SCAR ELCAN koolaid, I did.

Andrew Blubaugh

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2003
Ohio
Been working with the SCAR 16S and the ELCAN for a few weeks now. I am still formulating an opinion on both but this is what I can report from the past few weeks.

1. The SCAR is far from being an "out of the box ready to fight rifle". To be more eronomic and user friendly it needs some mods and tinkering with lights, slings and optics. More on this at a later date.

2. All auto rifles need extra effort to be driven accurately. The SCAR is no different... Actually I feel as though I need to work a bit harder when it comes to making a precise shot. I am comparing this to any other of my ARs used in the same situation(s).

3. The ELCAN may be "The One" when it comes to battle optics. The price tag is hard to deal with but the end result rocks.

4. One growing pain that needs to be understood with the ELCAN. For those of you who do not know, the ELCAN has a 1 or 4 power option. Just a flick of a lever takes you to 1 or 4 power. The ELCAN is sighted in on 4 power at a recommended 100 yards.

What I did the past two days was engage multiple targets from 7 to 200 yards in no particular order. I was missing a lot on 1X so I went back to prone and paper to sort things out. I printed two targets, one shot on 1 power and the other on 4 power. I quickly realized that 1 power really doesn't have a solid zero. I repeated this process several times on various targets mostly with 5 round groups. I ended up with the following example to show what I had learned.

Here are the targets...
100_1821-1.jpg

The target on the left was shot on 4 power, from prone, 3 shots at 100, 75, 50, 25 and 7 yards.

The target on the right was shot on 1 power from the prone in the same manner as above.

On 1 power I have the following deviations:
100 yards- 3.5 inches high and 3.5 inches right
75 yards- 2.75 inches high and 1.25 inches right
50 yards .375 inches high and 1.25 inches right
25 yards 1.5 inches low and .5 inches right
7 yards Acceptable for mechanical offset and .5 inches right

I used the 4 power setting as my standard and found all the deviations predictable. Note that the 100 yard group is a little low. It was a little difficult determining a proper center hold (the dot in the reticle is 1.5 MOA on 4 power and 6 MOA on 1 power).

What I find interesting is deviation continues even at 25 yards. At first glance it seems the 1X falls into the mechanical offset and is slightly right of center. Though when I measured it the 4x 25 yard group was 2 3/16 inches low and the 1x 25 yard group was 1.5 inches low.

I don't consider this a black mark on the optic but it is a characteristic that should be mentioned in detail in the manual. Though as long as the shooter is with in 100 yards and only worried about minute of chest accuracy if firing on 1X I don't see a major problem, just know what your system is going to do.

More to come on the SCAR and ELCAN....

Re: SCAR 16 ELCAN range report

This what happens when you don't serve in the "Fleet" you forget to include the small details like a picture... he should know I don't like to read, I only like to look at the pictures.

thanks for the pick up Marine

Semper Fi Devil Dog, the Fleet guys just like to look at pictures and not read nothing
laugh.gif

Ok Devil Dumb Shits, more pics.

I am not overly impressed with the ergonomics of the system. For an out of the box rifle that is suppose to be a step up from the M16 family you would think they would have put a grip like a magpul, tango down or ergogrip but the went with the same .42 cent M16 grip.
100_1818.jpg

With the pistol grip being such a let down the stock is not. The stock is very comfortable. I have trained with the SCAR with and with out heavy armor and did not feel tripped up by the butt or toe of the stock. The cheek weld has 2 positions and at first I thought this was a waste of time on FN's part but I really like the option. I tend to run it in the up position but found that donning a gas mask you want to drop the cheek weld to the down position and life gets a little easier.

Back to the ergonomics... The charging handle is located so that you will hit your knuckles on most optic mounts. I have shot the SCAR with an Aimpoint M68 CCO, T-1(Larue Mount), and ELCAN (ARMS Mount). I tend to train with my mags loaded 7-15 rounds in order to conduct a lot of transitions and reloads... This ended up being painful on more than one occasion. It seemed to happen more with the ELCAN than any of them but I wasn't keeping track.
100_1819.jpg

100_1799.jpg

I will post more later... Being a solo Dad is keeping me busy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I will post more later... Being a solo Dad is keeping me busy.

</div></div>

See what happens when you aren't in the "Fleet" -- you think we care about stuff like this -- as if. Go tell it to the Navy, you might actually get some play with this line.

Another question, if the Elcan already has back up iron sights on top, why have back up iron sights below ? Seems rather redundant even for you.

Re: SCAR 16 ELCAN range report, update 4/6

Cowboy Bravo, have you contacted ELCAN to see if this change in zero is a normal characteristic of the sight? With that much shift in zero, you may have a defective sight. Lowlight,those backup irons on the ELCAN are described in their PDF document http://elcansightingsystems.com/downloads/Spec_SpecterDR1x-4x.pdf as being for "Heavy Rain and Emergency Defence". Backup irons on the rifle itself would at least allow for some precision fire. I have one of the old 3.4X ELCANS with the molded in backup sights and they're pretty much useless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question, if the Elcan already has back up iron sights on top, why have back up iron sights below ? Seems rather redundant even for you. </div></div>

See, this is what happens when you live in a trailer out in the desert. What's next? Believing in ghosts and aliens?

The BUIS on there now is the standard out of the box SCAR BUIS. It is really low profile and out of the way... and redundant. Though I haven't really even thought about the BUIS yet. Both the front and rear are a step down from the M16 family irons. As for the irons on top of the ELCAN, do you recall the last time we worked together. A few guys had ELCANs on their carbines and we replaced more than one broken rear sight that class. The feedback from them was the irons were notorious for breaking. Additionally they are extremely high resulting in a no cheek weld and a crazy mechanical off set...... I just measured it, 4 15/16 inches, basically 5 inches. I have a hard time considering the ELCAN irons a viable BUIS but as I work with it I may reconsider. Who knows maybe the ELCAN fogs up something fierce when changing temps abruptly, we shall see. Until then I will use the rear sight to hang some fuzzy dice from and the front sight will be a good place to stick my gum when it looses flavor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cowboy Bravo, have you contacted ELCAN to see if this change in zero is a normal characteristic of the sight? With that much shift in zero, you may have a defective sight. Lowlight,those backup irons on the ELCAN are described in their PDF document http://elcansightingsystems.com/downloads/Spec_SpecterDR1x-4x.pdf as being for "Heavy Rain and Emergency Defence". Backup irons on the rifle itself would at least allow for some precision fire. I have one of the old 3.4X ELCANS with the molded in backup sights and they're pretty much useless. </div></div>

I did not contact ELCAN, I called Low Light and he likened it to a second focal plane optic... Which makes sense considering how it works and what the 1X is intended for, CQB shooting. Plus Low Light was a Fleet Marine and those guys are uber cool.

Concerning LL's comment on the BUIS... He is a ball buster. That is what he does. He has an ELCAN he just likes to call me out for having too much shit on my rifle.

I kinda figured Lowlight was busting your balls about the BUIS. He may also be right about the focal plane issue, but for the cost of these sights, I would call or better yet, email them with a link to this thread so they have a visual reference as well as to the shift in POI. Most quality low magnification hunting scopes won't shift that much.

I agree with you on the Elcan Back Up Sights, they suck ass... getting an accurate shot off with them is a chore at best, and near ridiculous at most.

The cost on a scope isn't an issue, Second Focal Plane is, and it's what it is... so you can expect a shift in zero moving from 1X to 4X try it with any SFP optic and see what happens... this one just happens to shift dramatically which is to be expected when you consider how the magnification actually works. You are not using a set of lenses to dial up your power, you are flipping a lens in and out of the way... drama happens, which is why they clearly tell you to zero it on 4X. Look at 7 yards to 25 yards, what they probably consider the working range of the optic on 1X, those are pretty close, and certainly a hit... they only shift dramatically at 50 and beyond, which is 4X range... Remember distance should afford you time which gives you opportunity.
wink.gif

OK, I understand. With the second focal plane,if all the optics and the bore aren't in absolute perfect alignmemt, which isn't likely to occur, it really isn't possible to maintain a perfect zero with each magnification. In addition to instructing the user to zero at 4X, ELCAN should explain that changing magnification will most likely result in POI change. Distance should afford time, but if a soldier comes under fire the instant he clears a building, he may go for cover and return fire and forget to switch back from 1X to 4X. I'm not a soldier so I may be talking out of my ass on that...

I must cry I passed up a elcan like that for 1300.00 oh how I kick myself in the rear nice setup hate the hand grip also nice little rig thou often thought are the scars worth the coin? how hard are parts to come by if something goes wang?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok Devil Dumb Shits, more pics.

Being a solo Dad is keeping me busy.

</div></div>

Jealousy rears its ugly head. But the second part, I will consider valid excuse.

Man this one time at boot camp________________(fill in story) it was extreme and i almost died
laugh.gif

im just messing with you CB

I have to say that this is a very informative thread. I was never aware that with an optic like this there was such a change in POI. Are you sure that this is standard for the optic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to say that this is a very informative thread. I was never aware that with an optic like this there was such a change in POI. Are you sure that this is standard for the optic?
</div></div>

it is easy enough to check on your own... get any SFP optic that has a range like the Elcan and shoot it using the reticle dialed on different powers... see what happens. I think you'll be surprised.

That is why we go on and on about Front Focal Plane scopes with our precision rifles... imagine the difference at distances beyond 100 yard. Its' why you have to know what you have, map your reticles and do all of the things Lindy has written about because if you are not on the right power setting your scope will do this and worse.

This is not a long range optic ... everything in its proper context

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I quickly realized that 1 power really doesn't have a solid zero. I repeated this process several times on various targets mostly with 5 round groups. I ended up with the following example to show what I had learned.
</div></div>

The shift you experienced seems more dramatic than with some other scopes. Probably Elcan can reduce that shift in a later generation.

thats a neat sight, this thread is also helping me with a buying decision

I've had three ELCAN SOCOM SpecterDR scopes and one of them is the optic that Cowboy has been shooting and testing. I just pulled the one SpecterDR that still have left and flipped between 1x and 4x while looking at a fixed object about 50 yards away with the rifle in a convenient rest. I can see a shift in the POA in the same direction that Cowboy's scope exhibited, and about the same offset. These are Gen II scopes, and as far as I know there are no later models.

In the 1x position a lens is flipped into the optical path and in the 4x position it rotates and flips out of position. In the 1x position there is a mechanical stop that determines where it comes to rest and a change in the mechanical rest position will result in an offset from the 4x POA.

After discovering the 1x/4x POA offset in my scope, I dismounted the optic and turned it over. Underneath, there is a possible screw adjustment in the area where I would expect the mechanical stop to be for the 1x lens. The screw could be an adjustment for the offset; if not, the adjustment might be elsewhere. But before I start playing with possible adjustments, I'd like to have some advice from ELCAN about turning the screw. I wish I knew about this offset before the SHOT show as there were a ton of ELCAN guys there to ask.

PS I've e-mailed Mike Cecil and CSTactical for the ELCAN customer service contact info.

PPS I just got off the phone with Ted Milner at Armament Technology (Master Distributor for ELCAN) in Canada. He told me that the spec for the 1x/4x offset is 44mm at 60m, which translates into 2.5 MOA. Unfortunately, there is no user adjustment for the offset.

If this shift in POI is a normal thing with a scope that costs this much...why not just use a Nightforce 1-4 or S&B ShortDot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJDrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If this shift in POI is a normal thing with a scope that costs this much...why not just use a Nightforce 1-4 or S&B ShortDot. </div></div>
They take too long to switch between 1x and 4x and you would have to change your rifle hold to do it. The SpecterDR has a side lever that switches quickly with the flip of a finger. The POA offset is a known characteristic and the 1x position would normally be used for CQB fighting where it wouldn't matter. However, it appears that Cowboy's offset (and possibly mine) are more than the 2.5 MOA spec.

PS The 1x red dot is 6MOA in diameter, so the allowed offset is about 1/2 the dot size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJDrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If this shift in POI is a normal thing with a scope that costs this much...why not just use a Nightforce 1-4 or S&B ShortDot. </div></div>

Kevin, I know what you are saying. It is a pricey optic but it is different than a shortdot or NF 1-4.

The ELCAN operates like an Aimpoint with a host of upgrades and you still keep the low profile. One minute it is a red dot and with a minor adjustment you can accurately engage targets a distance.

I have used my NF 1-4 on my AR for 3Gun matches...that's all based on time and accuracy. I never felt like I was losing significant time going from 1X to 4x on stages that needed it. At 1x it is a red dot...isn't it. Mike Gibson makes a lever that you put on the power ring and can really speed up that motion if it was an issue.

I was interested in the Elcan 1-4 when it came out...Just like I am with the ACOG's...but they sure charge a lot of money and the ACOGS are fixed power and this Elcan has one zero at 1X and another zero at 4x.

If the size and profile is a concern then I can see why you wouldn't put a scope on as it is a little longer...not much higher though.

I know you run your gear hard and are thorough, CB...thanks for writing the review.

Respectfully,

--KJ

It's an option Kevin, I don't think Andrew is saying anything more or less about the optic... there are many options out there, people lean in different ways for different reasons, this is only one way of leaning.

A NF with a Kat Tail is another excellent option.

Kevin... I probably should explore the short dot and NF option a little more before formulating a solid opinion on their application compared to the ELCAN. I base my current opinion off of a mere dozen or so range days with the Short Dot. My other hands on with a 1-4 was with a Horus Falcon I purchased from Lindy. I bounced it back and forth from an AR and M1A1 for about 2 years and just never really cared for it in the long run. The short dot was borrowed for a class.

Though I am spinning up on the ELCAN because the likelihood of having students showing up for classes with it is higher than the NF or S&B. The NF and S&B operate just like any other scope but the ELCAN has a few bells and whistles I need to be familiar with.... Which is a draw back in a certain respect to the ELCAN. My goal this next week is to sort out the ballistic drop reticle. One thing I hate about the ACOG is how inaccurate the reticle is.

I wasn't saying one was better than the other...and I realize that certain equipment is used for certain missions.

My concern was that you pay so much for that optic and it has two different POI. I don't know why an ACOG costs as much as it does either...it's a fixed 4x...that's it...big deal. I got issued an ACOG when I was in and I thought it was the best thing on Earth...But I wouldn't pay that money for it now when there is something out there that does the same thing and more (NF, USO, S&B)without POI changes.

I guess I'm just a little shocked that ELCAN thinks it's alright to have that much shift. How can that be tolerated at that price point...or any price point. I like the idea of a small optic like and being able to switch power...but it has to work. It's the only optic in its class that can do that. I'm not saying anyone should switch it out to something else.

I just know that when I'm under stress...I default on most things...I dial most everything for that reason. I know the crosshairs is where the bullet is going...I would not bet on taking a stressed out head shot at 100yds with that scope with that offset...I would default to the dot or crosshair and miss high right.

I would miss every dot on 1x at a RO 100yd dot drill with that scope and would hit most with a good 1-4 NF, USO, or S&B. Your targets looked to be the size of a human head and barely hit at 75yds and none at 100yds. You're a good shot and I would be willing to bet you could have punched the center out with irons.

I understand why you are using it CB and its valid reason...you have to know the gear you are going to teach others to use. I could be way off base with my reasoning though...I am still running a 18+lb rifle with a 28" barrel...hahahaha.

Respectfully,

--KJ

Thanks for the interesting info, I wonder if other 1x/4x switch power optics have this much shift....only one I can think of right now would be the IOR Pitbull?

This was extremely informative and I appreciate the time and effort. I had just started considering one of the Elcan 1.25/6x for a AR 10 but I may go in a different direction. I think the concept itself is very interesting and when the kinks are worked out it will be the best thing since sliced bread.

I wonder why the heck FN chose to allow the charging handle to move when firing. This is my Biggest gripe with mine. My natural grip is always in the way. We could move it to the right side, but that would be kinda awkward. I guess after it pops me enough times, ill learn...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder why the heck FN chose to allow the charging handle to move when firing. This is my Biggest gripe with mine. My natural grip is always in the way. We could move it to the right side, but that would be kinda awkward. I guess after it pops me enough times, ill learn... </div></div>

That is the point... At least I like to think so. Holding the magwell or mag of most rifles is just all kinds of wrong.

Range update from yesterday....

I put a mount on the SCAR to accommodate my Gemtech G5.
100_1827.jpg

First thing I did was check my zero and I was not surprised to find it had changed after putting the new comp on and then change again when the G5 was attached. Once I re-zeroed I found that when the rifle is zeroed with the can and then I check zero (@100yards) I have a 4 inch drop. The G5 usually rides on my Noveske 11.5 SBR and I experience no shift in zero with/with out the can. After talking to a few people in the "know" the confirmed my suspicion that the longer the barrel the more harmonics or whip is involved subsequently causing more shift when the can (extra weight) is added or removed. If there are any other thoughts on this lets hear it.

So after I confirmed zero I set a steel target and a cardboard target out. The plan was to fire a few on steel to confirm all is well and then toss a few on the cardboard to plot out my dope. I used the BDC reticle in the ELCAN and found it to be pretty close. The 400 yard line was the only one that seemed a little high. I knew I was going to be pressed for time so I only fired three rounds on cardboard from each; 200, 300, and 400 yard lines. At the 500 yard line I fired six because the wind was kicking my ass and I missed the steel chest plate a few times.

100_1828.jpg

I was really impressed with the BDC reticle. It is so common for ACOG reticles to be way off and one tends to be different than another. The accuracy also says a lot about the SCAR, I was very pleased considering I was shooting American Eagle 55gr. To give you an idea of the groups, the 200 yard group is exactly 2 inches and the 500 yard strings across the target at 12 inches.
100_1829.jpg

Very nice, thanks for the continued report.

I think the thing for me as well is the longer barrel on the SCAR, I am not sure if they do it yet, but all I have seen is the longer barreled ones and a shorter barrel would be nice.

Pictures help...
smile.gif

Interesting.....but that's a big POI shift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think the thing for me as well is the longer barrel on the SCAR, I am not sure if they do it yet, but all I have seen is the longer barreled ones and a shorter barrel would be nice. </div></div>

FN doesn't seem to be in a rush to make shorter barrels available. Some have tried to cut down existing barrels and the results have been mixed. Though a fellow cop in the next town chopped his down a bit and from his reports it has been running fine.

My intentions is to get a 10 inch barrel when they come available. Though it would be great if FN would make a 11.5 or 12 inch barrel as well. The muzzle velocity from the 11.5 and 12 is just far more favorable.

Re: SCAR 16 ELCAN range report, update 5/1

Spent the better part of the day on the range with the SCAR and ELCAN. Worked 25 yards and in with the ELCAN on 1X the entire time. Primarily worked on mechanical offset and emergency reloads.
100_1852.jpg

A majority of the drills I ran were reacting off a timer, stepping off line engaging a SEB target with 2-3 rounds and following up with one shot at random small target on the left or right side of the main target. First shots usually went down range between 1.2 and 1.7 seconds. Mags were loaded 7-15 rounds to induce plenty of emergency reloads. If I reloaded I would follow up with an additional 2-3 rounds. I found my reloads started out between 6-7 seconds and ended the day around the 4 second mark. Here is one of the targets I was using at roughly 20 feet.
100_1854.jpg

Overall I was happy with the ELCAN at 1X. The mechanical offset was a initially difficult to get accustom to but I fell into a groove after a while. My first few weeks I wasn't too crazy about the SCARs trigger but now I don't even notice it. I worked all my reloads off the charging handle and anytime I fumbled it was because I went for the area near the stock looking for an AR charging handle. It only happened a few times but it happened. I need a shorter barrel, with the G5 hanging off the end the weight was more than noticeable after a few hours of presenting the rifle.

By the end of the day I confirmed zero and was going to confirm minus the G5 but found the G5 seized up and it wouldn't budge. At the end of the day the SCAR logged slightly over 2500 rounds, 700 of which being suppressed, this is the total round count from when I purchased the rifle, today I put 500 throught it all of which were suppressed. The only thing I had cleaned to date on the rifle was the quick disconnect mount. Today I took it a bit too far. During the last hour or so of shooting I also noted a bunch of carbon seeping out between the upper and lower receivers and out of the dovetail that the stock assembly connects to the weapon as I fired the wepon. I was not shooting with gloves and could feel the carbon hitting my hand a few times.
100_1858.jpg

100_1855.jpg

Carbon seeping between the receivers.
100_1857.jpg

So after getting the G5 off the rifle I figured 2500 rounds would be a good time to clean. For the most part everything looked good. I took pictures but 2500 rounds with no cleaning and only a initial lube of Slip2000 before I ever fired a round I found only a few things worth sharing.

Just behind the trigger group, nothing spectacularly dirty but this is what it looks like. It looks wet but it was mostly dry and gritty with carbon.
100_1860.jpg

Chamber area... Again, nothing spectacularly dirty.
100_1865.jpg

Here is the inside portion of the gas regulator. It was a pain in the ass to remove. Caked with carbon, I couldn't get it to turn with out douching it with solvent and using a gerber tool.
100_1866.jpg

I had one malfunction a month ago and it was magazine related. 2500 rounds, 700 of which being suppressed and the SCAR ran like it did when I ran the first mag through it. That is pretty freaking cool.

I spent a whole 20 minutes cleaning so she is far from being "inspection ready" and I really don't intend on doing anything different. I do need to get use to the break down procedure. I don't find that the SCAR flows when you break it down and put it back together. I find it more puzzle like but I am hoping time and repetition will change that.

Great report. I have an SR15 with the Elcan on it I'm picking up this week. Look forward to testing this optic also..

Slug-O

Did you add lube at all during the 2500 rounds? I've had similar days with my M4 and found that if I didn't keep it very well lubed it would start to experience failures (FTE) due to carbon buildup.

I only lubed prior to firing my first round of the 2500 rounds. I used Slip2000... Not that the brand lube meant a whole lot in THIS case, the weapon is piston operated so you can not compare it to 2500 rounds through a gas system.

I hate the A2 grip on the SCAR so I ordered a Tango Down grip and it arrived today and it would not fit properly with out a mod. After looking over some directions posted on AR15.com, Link I determined the best course of action for me would be to shave off about 1/16 of an inch from the angled portion of the tang. It fits pretty good, though at a later date I may trim up the grip itself near the back strap, there is a small ledge that bothers me.

I have also been less than happy with the way the sling rides on the SCAR. I am not a big fan of the sling being attached near the gas block. So I ordered a VTAC Low Profile Sling Mount, it also arrived today. It allows for a very low profile flush cup mount attached to the bottom rail but offers side access for the sling attachment.

Link to product page...
http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_vtac_lpsm.html

Pic on the SCAR
100_1871.jpg

100_1869.jpg

I'll have it on the range all day tomorrow but after 20 minutes of dry practice this evening I think it is a huge improvement from the stock set up.