• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Droid Phones Thread

Re: Droid Phones Thread

played with it and it wouldn't connect, verizon blocked until I pay. I am using pdanet to tether the droid 2 and laptop. Seems like that should work excellent. Even seems faster than my homeconnection here in Chester MT
smile.gif
My plan has unlimited data. The verizon hotspot plan would only have 2gb or 5gb. I like this better.

montana,
The stock wifi hotspot is not free.
Many have gotten around it by gaining root access and using a third party application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">montana,
Many have gotten around it by gaining root access and using a third party application. </div></div>

No it's not free, but it's a bit crazy that VZW will sell you an unlimited data plan, but then restricts (and charges you more) based on how you use the data. I think I know why they do this. If unrestricted, non billed access by people with laptops was allowed it would probably overload their system. People limit web surfing more to what is necessary on small handhelds, and use more bandwidth on their laptops IMO, YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis Muldrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">montana,
Many have gotten around it by gaining root access and using a third party application. </div></div>

No it's not free, but it's a bit crazy that VZW will sell you an unlimited data plan, but then restricts (and charges you more) based on how you use the data. I think I know why they do this. If unrestricted, non billed access by people with laptops was allowed it would probably overload their system. People limit web surfing more to what is necessary on small handhelds, and use more bandwidth on their laptops IMO, YMMV. </div></div>

You mean a huge corporation is only providing a service to people so they can make money?
shocked.gif

I rooted and can use my Droid 1 as a hotspot and tether it to my PC with the touch of a button now. Eff 'em. I'd buy their wireless modem and unlimited data plan if their definition of unlimited wasn't, "Pay for every MB you use that goes over 5 gigs in a month." I've used 5 gigs in a couple days before, but not often. That amount still wouldn't last a month of downloads, Xbox live, Youtube videos, and flash sites. We can't get dsl or cable and refuse to pay the money for unreliable satellite internet, so I use what I got. I love having my phone tethered at the touch of a button - it's at least 10x faster than dial up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Xbox live...</div></div>

I hope this is for video streaming/downloadable content and NOT online game play or you probably hate your life more often than not with a connection like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Xbox live...</div></div>

I hope this is for video streaming/downloadable content and NOT online game play or you probably hate your life more often than not with a connection like that. </div></div>

Haha, DLC definitely. Some things I can't get on disc, and it's handy to be able to download them. I've never had an interest in playing online with other people... I've heard it's worse than an internet forum and I don't intend to find out if that's true or not.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis Muldrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">montana,

No it's not free, but it's a bit crazy that VZW will sell you an unlimited data plan, but then restricts (and charges you more) based on how you use the data. I think I know why they do this. If unrestricted, non billed access by people with laptops was allowed it would probably overload their system. People limit web surfing more to what is necessary on small handhelds, and use more bandwidth on their laptops IMO, YMMV. </div></div>

You mean a huge corporation is only providing a service to people so they can make money?
shocked.gif

I rooted and can use my Droid 1 as a hotspot and tether it to my PC with the touch of a button now. Eff 'em. I'd buy their wireless modem and unlimited data plan if their definition of unlimited wasn't, "Pay for every MB you use that goes over 5 gigs in a month." I've used 5 gigs in a couple days before, but not often. That amount still wouldn't last a month of downloads, Xbox live, Youtube videos, and flash sites. We can't get dsl or cable and refuse to pay the money for unreliable satellite internet, so I use what I got. I love having my phone tethered at the touch of a button - it's at least 10x faster than dial up. </div></div>

Yeah, I've rooted my Droid X and can do the tether thing too. I don't do it at home, but it sure beats paying $10 for net access in every airport you sit in on a trip. It works when the power is out at home too.I don't do gaming so the cap isn't a real issue for me. The root to use wireless tether is a pretty cool option to be able to use. I'm no techie, so I waited for an easy (and I mean really fu*king easy) way to root before I did it. I used the Universal androot application. Download the application and push a button for root and unroot.
Couldn't be easier.

What if Mozilla Made a Phone?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oG3tLxEQEdg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oG3tLxEQEdg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if Mozilla Made a Phone?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oG3tLxEQEdg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oG3tLxEQEdg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

That's f*ckin' awesome. All that stuff is in the not-too-distant future as well. That totally blows my mind.

Every technology shown in that video is available today in one form or another. It's just a matter of time before it gets done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.Holmes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who makes the best covers for the Moto x phone?? </div></div>

Droid X?

I guess it depends on what you want in a cover. I'm holding out for the Otterbox Commuter series for mine, tho Seidio has one that looks to be nearly identical in design, but comes with a holster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis Muldrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.Holmes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who makes the best covers for the Moto x phone?? </div></div>

Droid X?

I guess it depends on what you want in a cover. I'm holding out for the Otterbox Commuter series for mine, tho Seidio has one that looks to be nearly identical in design, <span style="font-weight: bold">but comes with a holster</span>. </div></div>

IWB or OWB?

.....I couldn't resist.
grin.gif

I have not found a case for my X that works with the media or car docks. They're supposed to but they don't fit well.

On a side note, I plugged my X into my laptop last night and got a popup to install some Motorola software onto the PC. It was a driver and once I installed it my PC went to a Verizon website and began showing a video of their new VZ Access media share software. I tried to get everything rolling but I run a 64bit PC and it aborted the install saying only 32bit was currently supported. I was still able to use the software to an extent and copy some music, pics and videos from my PC to the X and vice versa. I've had the X plugged in numerous times before and never had this happen, I don't know if it was something they updated OTA or what. Found it interesting, still waiting on Froyo...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis Muldrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.Holmes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who makes the best covers for the Moto x phone?? </div></div>

Droid X?

I guess it depends on what you want in a cover. I'm holding out for the Otterbox Commuter series for mine, tho Seidio has one that looks to be nearly identical in design, <span style="font-weight: bold">but comes with a holster</span>. </div></div>

IWB or OWB?

.....I couldn't resist.
grin.gif
</div></div>

OWB

Phylodog,
Have you checked for the update?
If not, do that first.
Settings > About > System Updates

Still not there?

You can install it manually.

Doh!!!Meant Droid X..I looked at the Otterbox also and will wait till they are available..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.Holmes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doh!!!Meant Droid X..I looked at the Otterbox also and will wait till they are available.. </div></div>

I've had OB cases for my last 2 Blackberries. They make good stuff. I can't count the number of times I dropped my BB Storm, the OB case is nearly indestructable, considering relatively normal use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phylodog,
If not, do that first.

Still not there?

</div></div>

Installing 2.3.15 now, don't know if that's Froyo or not?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phylodog,
If not, do that first.

Still not there?

</div></div>

Installing 2.3.15 now, don't know if that's Froyo or not? </div></div>

it is

Well hot damn, look at me gettin fancy!

It's installed, running a benchmark now...

Couple new apps showed up with the update. Quickoffice is going to come in very handy!

I have seen a few ballistic programs for the Droid I going to get the droid X and I would like to know which BC to get. I am using Nightfore now and I real like it, but I dont thank it will work on the Droid.

One on the market called "Shooter". I seem to remember that perhaps it was written by someone on this site. Its here. If you don't have the barcode reader, get it too. If you have it you know what to do.

qrcode.png

Just got done rooting my new R2D2 Droid2!!
sure was a lot more complicated than the original....

This thing is benchmarking at about 1350 stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lookout Security - Free App

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Locate Your Phone if Lost or Stolen[*]Make Your Phone "Scream" to Help Locate[*]Antivirus & Anti-Malware[*]Backup Contacts, Call History & Pictures[/list]

https://www.mylookout.com/
http://www.appbrain.com/app/lookout-mobile-security/com.lookout

</div></div>

Thanks tucker, I just downloaded it. I would love o walk up on someone hat stole my phone. LOL.

Ok,Guys Im looking to jump in on the Droid phone thingy,so a few questions.First Im looking at a family plan with 2 Droid phones.
Who has the best service for the money/AT&T/ VZW / Tmobile or Sprint.
Is the Droid X the phone to have now?

Verizon is the only game in town here. AT&T's service sucks ass bad if you travel outside of the metro area. I've been with Verizon for several years now and haven't had a single problem with them. They've gone out of their way to treat me well. Can't say I had the same experience with AT&T or Sprint when I was with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is the keyboard on the Droid 2? </div></div>

Better than the Droid, but I personally prefer the touchscreen

There really isn't a "best Droid phone".
You need to look at features and see how they meet your own needs.
Some have physical keyboards, while others have only on-screen keyboards.
Some have front-facing cameras for video conferencing.
Some are larger and some are more compact.

I have the Incredible and I love it.

Use the Google Phone Gallery to help you choose.

Just got a Droid X a couple of days ago and found this thread while looking for info on the "Shooter" app. Pardon if I'm asking a dumb question but I'm new to these devices and am not up on todays technology.

(Deep Breath) What the hell is rooting and what are it's benefits?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sjm229</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got a Droid X a couple of days ago and found this thread while looking for info on the "Shooter" app. Pardon if I'm asking a dumb question but I'm new to these devices and am not up on todays technology.

(Deep Breath) What the hell is rooting and what are it's benefits?
</div></div>

Never mind....found it on page 3 of this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJW117</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anyone else getting ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE battery life on their Droid since the install of FroYo? </div></div>
What do you consider "absolutely terrible" and what phone do you have?

If anything I think my battery life improved when I updated. I did go in and mess with the battery settings after the update though. I have no complaints at all with battery life on my X when compared with my BB but I don't think I would be considered a "high use" consumer either.

While a few people experienced some issues with an upgrade to Froyo for the most part most users have reported a noticeable increase in both battery life as well as performance over the previous version. If you're having issues you should take your phone into your provider and they will likely warranty it out.

I'm not running the Bugless Beast v0.5 ROM on a D1 and Quadrant reports over 1000+ benchmark w/o a single tweak or kernel. On top of that and most importantly for me my battery life has almost doubled after a week of testing. The last ROM I was running before this was BBv0.4 and I carried two spare charged batteries. Most days I was swapping out my first battery by about lunch time. Now I'm consistently making it to 7:00 & 8:00 before my first battery is toast. Snappier AND better battery life? I'm stoked. I may test some of the Slayher kernels a bit but as for now I'm quite content with it's performance.

I'm getting over 24 hours on a charge. I don't like to charge it or charge the battery during the day, but I usually charge every evening. No complaints here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lookout Security - Free App

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Locate Your Phone if Lost or Stolen[*]Make Your Phone "Scream" to Help Locate[*]Antivirus & Anti-Malware[*]Backup Contacts, Call History & Pictures[/list]

https://www.mylookout.com/
http://www.appbrain.com/app/lookout-mobile-security/com.lookout

</div></div>

Thanks tucker, I just downloaded it. I would love to walk up on someone that stole my phone. LOL. </div></div>

I also have Mobile Defense (also free) on mine. It doesn't have its own little icon in the drawer, so you have to be looking for it to delete it. Lookout can be disabled pretty easily, but unless you're looking for something that tracks the phone, a person generally won't find Mobile Defense. You set up your account online, and you can activate tracking from any computer (or someone else's smartphone - preferably with GPS so you can track the SOB) with your user name and password.